Starting to think that the 'Big Bang' of conference realignment is about to go down | The Boneyard

Starting to think that the 'Big Bang' of conference realignment is about to go down

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Putting all the pieces together, I have the feeling that Monday will mark the 'Big Bang' of college football. Put all the pieces together:
-everyone is surprised that it was Pitt that made this move with Syracuse to the ACC.
-every Big East football school has made a press release except for WVU, Rutgers, and UConn. Coincidence?
-Reports are starting to come out that WVU is going to end up getting the SEC invite with aTm. This despite everyone thinking that Missouri was the front runner.
-Texas has been trying everything to get into a conference and keep the LHN going...but looking like they have no takers.

Putting the pieces together, this is what I see happening (maybe just wishful thinking on my part?):

1. It has been decided that Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Texas Tech are going to go to the PAC 10 to get them to 16 teams (+Oklahoma, OSU, Texas, TT)

2. The Big Ten gets word of this and want to make the first moves to get the teams they want in expansion. Knowing that the 16 team super-confernces is the last chance to get in on the dealings, Notre Dame finally breaks down and agrees to join the Big Ten. The Big Ten calls up Missouri and finally gives them the invite they have been waiting for (and thus spurning the SEC). The Big Ten then adds Rutgers and UConn to try to solidify their Northeast presence and gets the conference to 16 teams (+Notre Dame, Missouri, Rutgers, UConn).

3. With the SEC getting spurned by Missouri, they turn to WVU to get to 14 teams (+WVU, aTm).

4. Pitt gets word from WVU that they are going to be leaving. Pitt then initiates conversation with ACC and they work out a deal to join the conference. The ACC gets up to 14 teams (+Pitt, Syracuse).

5. This where it gets interesting, and where it still hasn't been worked out yet. Which two teams does the SEC go after to get to 16? I am guessing they go hard after FSU and Clemson (since there really aren't any desirable new markets left). If the SEC gets FSU and Clemson, then they are done (+FSU, Clemson). If not, then they may end up taking 2 of Louisville/Kansas/Kansas St/TCU.

6. The ACC then has their last pick to get to 16. They made an early move to get to 14 to ensure they at least got Syracuse and Pitt in this round. If FSU and Clemson stay strong with the ACC, then look for the ACC to add Louisville and USF. If FSU and Clemson leave the ACC for the SEC, then the ACC will need 4 teams. The ACC ends up adding Louisville, USF, Kansas, and either Kansas St or TCU.

In the end, we get up to four 16 team superconferences.

It all starts Monday with the official decisions from Texas and Oklahoma.

I have a feeling that steps 1-4 above have already been made behind the scenese. That is why the ACC and Pitt acted now (pre-emptive), and Rutgers/UConn/WVU have made no comment..they are in on it. However, that is why you see Louisville so pissed...they are out of the loop at this point and haven't been involved in these decisions. The only uncertainty is what happens with the SEC teams 15 and 16 and then how the ACC gets up to 16. They need to wait until Texas and Oklahoma make official decisions to start figuring out those last few moves.

Maybe I am completely over the top on this and I am just saying what I hope is happening. But this is how I hope it is going down and I hope (for UConn's sake) I am right. It would make sense with what has happened so far.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Another interesting quote that may give my above theory more legs:

Multiple sources told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that Pittsburgh and Syracuse's applications to the ACC happened fast, within the last 48 hours.
One source who was briefed on the situation told Katz, "There is panic. There is panic about what league (Syracuse) was going to be in."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ly-join-acc-ranks-florida-state-official-says

So there was panic about what league Syracuse was going to be in? So there were multiple conferences interested in taking Syracuse? Big Ten? SEC? Why the sudden hurry all of a sudden in the last 48 hours? Makes my above theory possible. The ACC may have been worried about Syracuse either getting taken by the SEC or Big Ten before they even had a chance at them.

Very interesting quote! Hmmmm?!

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Good theory, I doubt UK allows SEC to add Louiville tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Putting all the pieces together, I have the feeling that Monday will mark the 'Big Bang' of college football. Put all the pieces together:
-everyone is surprised that it was Pitt that made this move with Syracuse to the ACC.
-every Big East football school has made a press release except for WVU, Rutgers, and UConn. Coincidence?
-Reports are starting to come out that WVU is going to end up getting the SEC invite with aTm. This despite everyone thinking that Missouri was the front runner.
-Texas has been trying everything to get into a conference and keep the LHN going...but looking like they have no takers.

Putting the pieces together, this is what I see happening (maybe just wishful thinking on my part?):

1. It has been decided that Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Texas Tech are going to go to the PAC 10 to get them to 16 teams (+Oklahoma, OSU, Texas, TT)

2. The Big Ten gets word of this and want to make the first moves to get the teams they want in expansion. Knowing that the 16 team super-confernces is the last chance to get in on the dealings, Notre Dame finally breaks down and agrees to join the Big Ten. The Big Ten calls up Missouri and finally gives them the invite they have been waiting for (and thus spurning the SEC). The Big Ten then adds Rutgers and UConn to try to solidify their Northeast presence and gets the conference to 16 teams (+Notre Dame, Missouri, Rutgers, UConn).

3. With the SEC getting spurned by Missouri, they turn to WVU to get to 14 teams (+WVU, aTm).

4. Pitt gets word from WVU that they are going to be leaving. Pitt then initiates conversation with ACC and they work out a deal to join the conference. The ACC gets up to 14 teams (+Pitt, Syracuse).

5. This where it gets interesting, and where it still hasn't been worked out yet. Which two teams does the SEC go after to get to 16? I am guessing they go hard after FSU and Clemson (since there really aren't any desirable new markets left). If the SEC gets FSU and Clemson, then they are done (+FSU, Clemson). If not, then they may end up taking 2 of Louisville/Kansas/Kansas St/TCU.

6. The ACC then has their last pick to get to 16. They made an early move to get to 14 to ensure they at least got Syracuse and Pitt in this round. If FSU and Clemson stay strong with the ACC, then look for the ACC to add Louisville and USF. If FSU and Clemson leave the ACC for the SEC, then the ACC will need 4 teams. The ACC ends up adding Louisville, USF, Kansas, and either Kansas St or TCU.

In the end, we get up to four 16 team superconferences.

It all starts Monday with the official decisions from Texas and Oklahoma.

I have a feeling that steps 1-4 above have already been made behind the scenese. That is why the ACC and Pitt acted now (pre-emptive), and Rutgers/UConn/WVU have made no comment..they are in on it. However, that is why you see Louisville so pissed...they are out of the loop at this point and haven't been involved in these decisions. The only uncertainty is what happens with the SEC teams 15 and 16 and then how the ACC gets up to 16. They need to wait until Texas and Oklahoma make official decisions to start figuring out those last few moves.

Maybe I am completely over the top on this and I am just saying what I hope is happening. But this is how I hope it is going down and I hope (for UConn's sake) I am right. It would make sense with what has happened so far.

What if horrors of horrors UConn isn't invited anywhere? Just like the pathetic chick who thinks she's much hotter and popular than she really is. This scenario that must be discussed. I can't even conceive of UConn not being in some conference.

Reaction Score
Just like the pathetic chick who thinks she's much hotter and popular than she really is.
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul