Starting to read transfer visits on here | The Boneyard

Starting to read transfer visits on here

Reaction Score
But none associated with UCONN. We need bigs to sign... Notre Dame had a visit, see other programs are looking at international and big players in size, Ohio State just signed a big player who is from Europe.. yes the two commitments are huge for 2020 but we need help for next year. 9 players won’t cut it.. I hope UCONN can get transfers.. and now Louisville had 3 graduate transfers this weekend.. does Louisville recruit everyone.. u would think any of the top grad transfers would be jumping all over UCONN but who am I. Next season is starting to give me a nervous feeling I hope I’m wrong and Geno and company can make some magic for next season.

Reaction Score
But none associated with UCONN. We need bigs to sign... Notre Dame had a visit, see other programs are looking at international and big players in size, Ohio State just signed a big player who is from Europe.. yes the two commitments are huge for 2020 but we need help for next year. 9 players won’t cut it.. I hope UCONN can get transfers.. and now Louisville had 3 graduate transfers this weekend.. does Louisville recruit everyone.. u would think any of the top grad transfers would be jumping all over UCONN but who am I. Next season is starting to give me a nervous feeling I hope I’m wrong and Geno and company can make some magic for next season.

It is early yet! Uconn isn't for MOST, it is a tough environment, tough practices, huge time demands and energy demands. It is a no excuse program. That kind of words is a hard sell especially with some today that DEMAND immediate play. You don't DEMAND at Uconn.
How many of the Elite Bigs grad Student Transfers will accept that? Europeans? The younger they are the easier, I suspect, it is to get recruits to UConn.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Based on what I’ve seen on their IG stories, it seems like a few players are out of town this weekend. It wouldn’t surprise me if visits weren’t scheduled because Geno and CD knew they already had things scheduled.

Reaction Score
You said it. UConn is not for most. It would be really something if some player wanted to spend what many see as a cruisin' year in the Geno regimen. That would be a very special player, indeed, and I doubt we will see any this year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not worried. Just be patient. Programs like L'ville have tons of visits and recruit via the "spaghetti against the wall" theory. Not criticizing - just noting that they recruit many more players in general. Geno has started spreading a wider net, but still, it's much more narrow than many other programs, which of course causes angst or worry among the #bleedblue fans.

I'd be very surprised if the class coming in next year is less than 3 players. Of course we shall see, and no I don't have any inside scoop. Keep in mind that Anna Makurat is still in the throes of her playoffs. I think we have a good chance with her. After that, we all know who we have on the roster and Geno/CD etc. know full well we need a post player(s). Patience is a virtue :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

It only seems like it. :) If Walz misses out on an "elite" player, it was not for lack of effort. Don't get nervous yet. There is still plenty of time to close the deal on some BIGS I'm sure UConn has been recruiting for next year. As you know, UConn cannot comment on the status of their recruiting efforts. It's against NCAA rules.

I'd bet the farm Geno does not begin the season status quo. He knows better than anyone that his team is deficient in post players. BIGS are a premium right now. Everybody wants 'em. UConn will have jump in the pool and fight for the BIGS along with everyone else. EVERYBODY is courting the unsigned BIGS that have D1 potential. Jeff Walz hosted 3 transfer recruits over the past weekend. The article said that none of them left the campus until Walz had commitments from them. :eek: The man knows how to close a deal!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The article said that none of them left the campus until Walz had commitments from them. :eek: The man knows how to close the deal!!! ;)

New players! Pre-recruited players! We'll take 'em all at Walz Motors Basketball Emporium! We guarantee you won't leave the lot without a brand new car commitment.

So come on down to Walz!

Walz - We Got It All!

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
New players! Pre-recruited players! We'll take 'em all at Walz Motors Basketball Emporium! We guaranteed you won't leave the lot without a brand new car commitment.

Some come on down to Walz!

Walz - We Got It All!

I'm not mad at Walz. He's doing whatever he can to level the playing field, especially after losing his franchise player. He doesn't appear to be concerned with the "revolving door" that is on the entrance to his program.
If 2-3 leave, he gets 2-3 to replace them. As long as Louisville is an attractive destination to top recruits, he'll be OK.

I was surprised when Mariya Moore left the team after 3 years to join her sister Minyon at USC. I think Walz is a good coach, but there appears to be a minor degree of instability there. Too many players coming and going. Hard to build any sustainable chemistry with that type of fluidity or constant player movement. Lately, he's been taking his teams deep into the tournament. We can't argue that. His particular style of player management appears to be working for him. It also would not surprise me if he uses their win over UConn as a recruiting tool. ;)

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Walz picked up Kianna Smith, Elizabeth Dixon and Elizabeth Balogun today. Dixon and Balogun were both on the All ACC Freshman team (Balogun was FOY) and may get waivers because of the coaching upheaval at GaTech.

Reaction Score
I'm not mad at Walz. He's doing whatever he can to level the playing field, especially after losing his franchise player. He doesn't appear to be concerned with the "revolving door" that is on the entrance to his program.
If 2-3 leave, he gets 2-3 to replace them. As long as Louisville is an attractive destination to top recruits, he'll be OK.

I was surprised when Mariya Moore left the team after 3 years to join her sister Minyon at USC. I think Walz is a good coach, but there appears to be a minor degree of instability there. Too many players coming and going. Hard to build any sustainable chemistry with that type of fluidity or constant player movement. Lately, he's been taking his teams deep into the tournament. We can't argue that. His particular style of player management appears to be working for him. It also would not surprise me if he uses their win over UConn as a recruiting tool. ;)

@Scoop , another thoughtful, insightful posting, thanks.

It is interesting in that some people can thrive on constant upheaval and others require stability.
The key word, in my beliefs, that you used was, CHEMISTRY. If he really had Chemistry, as Uconn normally has, no one would want to leave. A tight unit wants to be together and the thought of one leaving is unbearable. Geno builds Chemistry, pushes for all inclusive on or off the floor.
You are right on all accounts especially it works for him AND he'll used the UConn defeat as a recruiting tool--SEE we beat the best, OR See we are more likely to get an NC than UConn.
Not likely Jeff--count em and compare!! I liked Walz he has done exceptionally well with Louisville. For a time I thought him the next Geno. Who knows, he has an odd style.

Reaction Score
New players! Pre-recruited players! We'll take 'em all at Walz Motors Basketball Emporium! We guaranteed you won't leave the lot without a brand new car commitment.

Some come on down to Walz!

Walz - We Got It All!
As Uconn isn't for everyone, neither is Walz's approach to recruiting. However, in looking at the durth of players standing in line to play for Uconn--he has a better selection than Uconn.
I think the rotating players at Louisville would drive Geno nutz.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It is early yet! Uconn isn't for MOST, it is a tough environment, tough practices, huge time demands and energy demands. It is a no excuse program. That kind of words is a hard sell especially with some today that DEMAND immediate play. You don't DEMAND at Uconn.
How many of the Elite Bigs grad Student Transfers will accept that? Europeans? The younger they are the easier, I suspect, it is to get recruits to UConn.
Let’s make sure everyone understands the “open” comments stated above:
1. The time demands during the year are the same for every program by Rule-20 hours a week is the limit for team activities. UConn is no different than any other school-more organized and efficient maybe, but the same in time
2. Considering UConn got Butler (big), Stevens (a big) and Camara (a big) as their transfer students, your comments there are mixed at best.
Let’s see how the transfer season plays out before observation or judgment. Early to Mid June should hold The answers. Stay optimistic! :)

Reaction Score
@Scoop , another thoughtful, insightful posting, thanks.

It is interesting in that some people can thrive on constant upheaval and others require stability.
The key word, in my beliefs, that you used was, CHEMISTRY. If he really had Chemistry, as Uconn normally has, no one would want to leave. A tight unit wants to be together and the thought of one leaving is unbearable. Geno builds Chemistry, pushes for all inclusive on or off the floor.
You are right on all accounts especially it works for him AND he'll used the UConn defeat as a recruiting tool--SEE we beat the best, OR See we are more likely to get an NC than UConn.
Not likely Jeff--count em and compare!! I liked Walz he has done exceptionally well with Louisville. For a time I thought him the next Geno. Who knows, he has an odd style.

Its interesting to see all the "Welcome to the family" messages to newly committed recruits from UConn basketball alums. Geno seems to focus on the total player/person while Walz focuses on filling the lineup.

Reaction Score
Its interesting to see all the "Welcome to the family" messages to newly committed recruits from UConn basketball alums. Geno seems to focus on the total player/person while Walz focuses on filling the lineup.
There is truth in what you say--why is that Walz fills line-ups.

Reaction Score
Let’s make sure everyone understands the “open” comments stated above:
1. The time demands during the year are the same for every program by Rule-20 hours a week is the limit for team activities. UConn is no different than any other school-more organized and efficient maybe, but the same in time
2. Considering UConn got Butler (big), Stevens (a big) and Camara (a big) as their transfer students, your comments there are mixed at best.
Let’s see how the transfer season plays out before observation or judgment. Early to Mid June should hold The answers. Stay optimistic! :)
What were the results with Butler and/or Stevens---MIXED AT BEST!!! And that is a huge positive spin on the realities of the transfers.
No the time demands are NOT the same for everyone. The rule is the same for everyone----big difference. Talking about MIXED this is mixed to slant your thoughts to try to give it a positive spin.\ You missed your calling---you'd be great with Campaign Rhetoric!
Yes, think Butler---not of any value against top Div 1 teams, rarely a force against AAC's. Azura, a great scorer, when Geno needed a defender, REAL post--she stayed a forward. Camara? I don't discuss the disabled!! Mixed, think what you say!
I do however agree: WAIT, and see how the pre-season recruiting works out.
I'm always optimistic, but also a REALIST. If you don't see the forest for the trees you often get lost.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Are we back to bashing Natalie Butler again?

In the 2016-2017 season, she was instrumental in three very tough victories: Baylor, 20 minutes, 6 rebounds 2 blocks, neutralized Kalani Brown in the second quarter; Texas, 26 minutes, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks; and Maryland, 14 minutes, 4 rebounds, 4 points. Without her, we could have easily lost one or more of those games.

She wasn`t good enough to start for UConn, but she came to the rescue against big teams when we were in foul trouble. She was also by all appearances a great teammate and is a quality individual.

She went on from there to only lead the country in rebounding at George Mason. Actually, she got more rebounds for a season, 563, than anyone in NCAA history. With Azura Stevens on the active roster for the 2017-2018 season, Natalie can hardly be faulted for transferring out.

ONO will get in foul trouble next season, that is a given. Having a Natalie Butler on the bench in that instance would be a godsend. Of course, bringing in a more talented big (Cooks?) to share the floor with ONO would be ideal, but there are precious few available.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom