Starting to look like 2007. | The Boneyard

Starting to look like 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The team with frosh Dyson, Thabeet, Stanley etc. That year we battled the scrubs like we're battling them now. These teams should be blown out, instead it's a competitive entertaining game. Come Big East, UConn will be lucky to stay at .500.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The team with frosh Dyson, Thabeet, Stanley etc. That year we battled the scrubs like we're battling them now. These teams should be blown out, instead it's a competitive entertaining game. Come Big East, UConn will be lucky to stay at .500.
Certainly possible and no surprise as far as I'm concerned. Just because a kid puts on a UConn shirt doesn't mean he already is a finished product.

Look at Kentucky this season. Lots of high ranked players in that line up but they still have to go through a learning curve.

This crop of UConn players is not blessed with lots of talent. They are learning from a new coach. Two of the integral players (DD and OC) are inexperienced, one is just entering his soph season (RB) since he missed the first third last season, and he is the PG where last year he played a lot of off guard. SN was the PG last season and now the off guard. DD and NG are forced to play the four even though better suited for the three. TO is forced to be a starter at the five even though he should be a scrub four. EW should be a practice player and scrub minutes at best and he is needed for long stretches. And Nolan should be redshirted but KO doesn't have that luxury due to circumstances he's inherited.

Reaction Score
So far we've taken down MSU and Wake. Things could and should be far worse. Calhoun's teams always took time, save the 2011 group. Don't lose faith until we start losing a lot. Gutty, ugly, rock fight wins build character. All it takes is for the guards to find the sweet spots on the floor and things get better real quick.

Reaction Score
If Facey is a stud I'm still on the 2014 NC train.

We should definitely be a top 10 team next year. If I'm KO I do whatever it takes to bring in a few bigmen (JUCO, Graduate transfer like Evans...) that can clean the window from game 1.

Reaction Score
What we could really use is an Ed Nelson clone. Maybe if RJ grew 3 inches and changed his name....

Reaction Score
We should definitely be a top 10 team next year. If I'm KO I do whatever it takes to bring in a few bigmen (JUCO, Graduate transfer like Evans...) that can clean the window from game 1.
You really think we are going to be a top ten team next year? I hope you are right- but I do not see it.

Reaction Score
the only way this is a top 10 team next year is if Daniels and Nolan make substantial leaps in their game and I don't see that happening

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What we could really use is an Ed Nelson clone. Maybe if RJ grew 3 inches and changed his name....
...and drove a pick-up truck.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Look at Kentucky this season. Lots of high ranked players in that line up but they still have to go through a learning curve.

Interestingly enough, Kentucky's issues so far this season aren't its freshman, its the upperclassmen. Their freshman are averaging 52 points and 24 rebounds per game ... so you have to imagine that when the whole team starts to perform well they are a legitimate title threat again.

(as much as it pains me to even think about that)

Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, Kentucky's issues so far this season aren't its freshman, its the upperclassmen. Their freshman are averaging 52 points and 24 rebounds per game ... so you have to imagine that when the whole team starts to perform well they are a legitimate title threat again.

(as much as it pains me to even think about that)

Good thing the upperclassmen on Kentucky suck this year.

Reaction Score
We should definitely be a top 10 team next year.

I'm sorry, but what, pray-tell, have you seen from this group to convince you that we'll be a legitimate contender next year? Granted, we have 3 months this year to change my mind, but I just don't see it now.

I think Boat and Bazz have shown what they can do. I don't expect a lot more out of DD than what we've seen already -- he'll be a less physically gifted Stanley Robinson. Olander and Giff are decent complementary pieces, but not much more. Nolan looks like a Hilton-style late bloomer at best. And Wolf is Wolf.

For us to be a top-10 team, it would require a monumental leap from OC so that he becomes the focal point of the offense at the 3, as well as Facey to be a BE-caliber big man right off the bat. That's asking an awful lot.

Reaction Score
the only way this is a top 10 team next year is if Daniels and Nolan make substantial leaps in their game and I don't see that happening

I think you can add everyone else on the roster to that list.

I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility, and I think we're a tournament team next year even with moderate improvement from a few players. But if we continue to get next to nothing inside, then our success will rely almost entirely on jump shooters, and streaky ones at that.

Reaction Score
I was actually thinking the same thing. A team that struggles with UNH, Quinnipiac, Stony Brook. We manage to win just because we have more and better talent...I mean I doubt anybody UNH puts on the floor would warm the bench at UConn. We beat what is probably going to be another over rated Michigan State team in the opener. Wake is garbage...Iona blew them out of the building...Those were good games to win, for sure, but I doubt they were indicative of much. And we really need to pile up some wins now, because they could be tough to come by come the regular season. We have a talented back court, but the front line is thin at best and only moderately talented I think. And the problem with our guards, excepting Calhoun, is they are small...quick but both Shaabazz and Boatright are small and will be asked to cover much bigger guys. That will be a problem when they go up against guys of equal talent who are 6-4, 6-6. On the other hand, I do think we have enough talent that we'll upset a couple of people along the way.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I was actually thinking the same thing. A team that struggles with UNH, Quinnipiac, Stony Brook. We manage to win just because we have more and better talent...I mean I doubt anybody UNH puts on the floor would warm the bench at UConn. We beat what is probably going to be another over rated Michigan State team in the opener. Wake is garbage...Iona blew them out of the building...Those were good games to win, for sure, but I doubt they were indicative of much. And we really need to pile up some wins now, because they could be tough to come by come the regular season. We have a talented back court, but the front line is thin at best and only moderately talented I think. And the problem with our guards, excepting Calhoun, is they are small...quick but both Shaabazz and Boatright are small and will be asked to cover much bigger guys. That will be a problem when they go up against guys of equal talent who are 6-4, 6-6. On the other hand, I do think we have enough talent that we'll upset a couple of people along the way.
Actually Nolan, EW and TO are all talent wise inferior to Pelcher imo. DD has the potential to be better than Myrick but at this stage of his career he's behind that kid. We were superior to UNH at the guard position even with an off game from SN on the offensive end. He was terrific on defense. This lack of talent at the 4 and 5 position is why this team is near the level of mid majors. And KO was hampered with recruiting for next season although he did manage to keep Facey. But Facey won't necessarily be an impact freshman.

caw

Reaction Score
Actually Nolan, EW and TO are all talent wise inferior to Pelcher imo. DD has the potential to be better than Myrick but at this stage of his career he's behind that kid. We were superior to UNH at the guard position even with an off game from SN on the offensive end. He was terrific on defense. This lack of talent at the 4 and 5 position is why this team is near the level of mid majors. And KO was hampered with recruiting for next season although he did manage to keep Facey. But Facey won't necessarily be an impact freshman.

DD actually started the game off very strong, but foul trouble hurt him in the first half.

Nolan is just really weak for D1 ball. He is skinnier than DD and it shows. He can get some rebounds but when he goes up on a putback, he's off if he gets nudged. EW is still a bit slow in reading the college game (not shocked with his lack of PT).

ctchamps

Reaction Score
DD actually started the game off very strong, but foul trouble hurt him in the first half.

Nolan is just really weak for D1 ball. He is skinnier than DD and it shows. He can get some rebounds but when he goes up on a putback, he's off if he gets nudged. EW is still a bit slow in reading the college game (not shocked with his lack of PT).
DD had a great game until he picked up that second ghost foul. Problem was he couldn't get untracked after he came back. Futhermore his second half defense got him bench time for a long stretch. DD has the potential to be great. My guess is he gets down on himself when he makes mistakes and can't adjust quickly enough when that happens. The same goes for TO. Players that have an easier time shrugging things off are OC, NG, RB, RJE and maybe SN and EW.

Nolan is so clueless I don't think he's bothered by anything. He just goes out there like an energizer bunny rabbit. It the outcome of the game wasn't on the line I would enjoy his time on the court immensely. His movement on the court is like he still playing schoolyard hoops with his buddies. I hope the coaches can teach him to be more under control without breaking his exuberance.

Reaction Score
I think we had one at most two top 100 wins in 2007. That's the weakest non conference schedule we've ever played. Maybe Ed Cooley helped us with scheduling that year?

Reactions: caw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99