Starting PG with healthy wings | The Boneyard

Starting PG with healthy wings

Who should start at point with healthy wings?

• Newton

Votes: 75 54.7%
  • Diarra

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Clingan

Votes: 26 19.0%

• Total voters

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Before someone says it, it’s a harmless conversation to have with some time before our next game. Click off if you’re tired of the discourse.

With Hawkins and Jackson’s return around the corner, a decision will be made about which pg should start the game on the floor.

The beauty of a player like Newton is his versatility. He’d be able to spell either Diarra, Hawkins, or Jackson if he were to become our 6th man. He’d also likely be the best 6th man in the conference. I think the best argument for Newton to start with Jackson, would be his ability to space the floor being more consistent than Diarra, which makes Jackson’s playmaking more valuable.

It seems clear from watching the games, when Diarra and Newton share the court, Diarra is playing the traditional PG role. His defense is more intense and active. He’s found shooters on drives much better so far than he’s shown in the past. This could be the development he needed to take that next step which alluded him at A&M. As long as his tendency to take Ill advised shots doesn’t return, he may be the guy moving forward at point.

A Diarra/Hawkins/Jackson/Johnson/Sanogo starting unit would’ve been menacing defensively, I wish we would’ve had a chance to see it before conference play starts. But we’ll look forward to a healthy Johnson hopefully being a nice contributor off the bench by seasons end.

Both players will likely be good enough to start, a great problem to have. Regardless of who starts, the player playing better should finish games, which is arguably more important. At this point it seems to be a matter of preference. So who do you prefer so far?

Reaction Score
I've seen nothing from DH that would make me question his decisions on pt. So far Newton has got the nod. I 100% trust that decision.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Netwon allows for the best spacing with Jackson. Diarra will be a much needed spark off the bench. I'd also lean towards Alleyne over Diarra as a starter next to Jackson and Hawkins for his shot-making ability.

Reaction Score
Watching the 3 transfer guards through 2 games its interesting that Newton looks the most... lacking confidence?

It seems like pedigree wise he has the most tricks in his bags and the higher ceiling but right now he's definitely trying to find his sea legs. The hope would be by January and February Newton is the guy with Diarra supplying energy off the bench at critical points.

I'm not sure what it is with Newton, maybe he's just trying to figure out a role where he's not the guy or the coaching staff is asking him to do different things. The player you saw at East Carolina and the player we've seen through 2 games look night and day from one another and I think it's completely confidence related.

If we're a top 20 team in January my guess is Newtons our starting PG.

Reaction Score
i trust hurley, but i REALLY like what i've seen from diarra so far. great defense, great passing and decision-making, and he's not just jacking shots the way i feared he would. nice player.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing Newton with Diarra providing something different off the bench. I have to imagine we’re going to run more this year and if so, it’s Newton you want. In the half court the advantage gets a bit blurred.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing Newton with Diarra providing something different off the bench. I have to imagine we’re going to run more this year and if so, it’s Newton you want. In the half court the advantage gets a bit blurred.
Really I would think it is more Diarra in an open game with his speed and ability to push the ball. Newton is more of a steady eddy with nice passing in a half court set. At least this is I have seen so far in the first 2 games. Newton actually is a little slower than I thought he would be. Diarra is like a jet when he gets going and has good court vision when pushing it.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Diarra plays the same game as Taliek. Taliek was PG of a National Championship team. Nuff said.

Seriously, I think he has more of an attack mindset, and I like that.

Reaction Score
As the competition gets better later in Nov.. And once Andre is back.. I could see he and Newton sharing the ball handling role with Diarra off the bench for a change of pace. With the apparent improvement in BBIQ and ball movement from our portal guys and AK/DC/AS..It really gives us flexibility in initiating the offense. Esp off of a defensive rebound and immediately getting the ball upcourt ala Andre/Newton/Alleyne on fast breaks and secondary breaks... Additionally--The foul line extended becomes an offensive weapon with AK/DC after the initial pass to them once over half court. They already look comfortable with the ball in their hands in that spot.

IMO.. Multiple ball handlers on the floor at the same time lessens the need for a classic pass-first PG.. Harder for the opposition to take that guy out of the game and effect your ability to continue to run your offense.

Reaction Score
Really I would think it is more Diarra in an open game with his speed and ability to push the ball. Newton is more of a steady eddy with nice passing in a half court set. At least this is I have seen so far in the first 2 games. Newton actually is a little slower than I thought he would be. Diarra is like a jet when he gets going and has good court vision when pushing it.
Newton's calling card at ECU was his ability to push it and create in transition. He definitely doesn't have the quickness that Diarra has but he's very smooth in the fastbreak and covers a lot of ground. He also gets the rebound and starts the fastbreak about as fast as anyone I've seen. I'm not saying Diarra is a totally slouch there but I think it definitely favors Newton in that facet.

Reaction Score
So far, I don't think there's a wrong answer. Playing next to Sanogo, Hawkins, and Karaban is going to be pretty easy. Playing next to Clingan on the 2nd unit is is also going to be pretty easy considering how much he's going to dominate backup bigs.

The wildcard is the fit with Jackson. If Jackson is truly going to be playing point forward, then I'm not sure it matters, because their off ball/secondary playmaking skills are pretty similar. They can both penetrate, they are both probably low 30s shooters from 3 that will shoot if you go under a pick. Diarra is the better on-ball defender, but Newton has been fine on that end. They're both killers in transition.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
on the nba radar - mr newton.
not on the nba radar, mr diarra, mr alleyne.
i had no strong opinion on mr newton before, now im firmly in the 'give him the dang ball' camp. i like how, so far, he's just kind of loping around, figgering out 'who are these people? what do they do? where do they stand?'
he's smart, and doesn't want to end up on the injury list cuz he ran into a mate, or they ran into him.
6 guys, newt/ajax/hawk/adama/clingan/alex, and we'll win a first round game.

Reaction Score
Diarra plays the same game as Taliek. Taliek was PG of a National Championship team. Nuff said.

It’s a NYC point guard thing. I like the comparison.

Reaction Score
Newton's calling card at ECU was his ability to push it and create in transition. He definitely doesn't have the quickness that Diarra has but he's very smooth in the fastbreak and covers a lot of ground. He also gets the rebound and starts the fastbreak about as fast as anyone I've seen. I'm not saying Diarra is a totally slouch there but I think it definitely favors Newton in that facet.
Yeah, I know a 2 game sample is small but right now Diarra has looked better in the fast break then Newton. Maybe as the season goes along he will look better pushing the ball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

People are making the Diarra comparison to Taliek a lot. I don’t see it. Freshman year Talik was like someone shot him out of a cannon every time he got the ball. He would head down the court and either get a layup, free throws or a charge. Upper classmen Taliek, especially senior year, was a savvy player who directed our putting offense exceptionally well. I’m not saying that you’re wrong, I’m just not seeing it.

I like Hassan though and I feel like he could be a very good point guard for us as he develops over the course of the season.

Newton has not been what I expected, but that may be more on me than him.

Reaction Score
I‘ll Tell you after Tuesday
Watching the 3 transfer guards through 2 games its interesting that Newton looks the most... lacking confidence?

It seems like pedigree wise he has the most tricks in his bags and the higher ceiling but right now he's definitely trying to find his sea legs. The hope would be by January and February Newton is the guy with Diarra supplying energy off the bench at critical points.

I'm not sure what it is with Newton, maybe he's just trying to figure out a role where he's not the guy or the coaching staff is asking him to do different things. The player you saw at East Carolina and the player we've seen through 2 games look night and day from one another and I think it's completely confidence related.

If we're a top 20 team in January my guess is Newtons our starting PG.
I agree , he is a bit overwhelmed by the jump not in competition, but his supporting cast and an environment that he certainly isn’t used to .
Coming from decent programs in The Big 12 or the ACC like Diarra and Alleyne is much less an adjustment than coming from East Carolina.
I think Newton with confidence has the potential to make the team better. Diarra is a gem but he scares me as lead guard against top opponents with his not stop motor. The wild Card is Jackson. How he fits in is still a mystery. He might be one of the most unusual players I’ve seen.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
TBD. I'd like to see the both of them against good competition before making my judgment.

Reaction Score
I think the bigger difference is that Diarra and Alleyne are being asked to fill the same role they filled at their prior schools.

I second this motion.

Huge adjustment to go from top dog, to option 3 at best. He will learn. All about March this year. Everything else is a warm-up

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom