Starting Lineup To Open The Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting Lineup To Open The Season

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
AG
Bouk/CV
Polley
Akok
Carlton

This is your starters. Personally, I would like CV to be 6th man but more like how Lou Williams has done it in his career -- still play starters minutes. I'd like him to bring his energy and shooting off the bench at the under 16. I'm very excited to see what the second unit could be:

Gaffney
CV/Bouk
Sid
Whaley
Richie

But also, I could see a small ball/three guard unit like this:
AG
CV
Bouk
2 of Akok/Polley/Carlton

We probably finish games with the above -- Akok on defense, Polley on offense at the 4.
In the games CV didn’t start he struggled.

That doesn’t mean he can’t change. It means coaches need to be aware of this and I’m positive they are. As a freshmen Bouknight will be comfortable with coming off the bench.

First game starters unless disciplinary problems:

AG
CV
SW
Tyler Phommachanh
JC

As season progresses the starting constants will be AG, CV and JC.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Akok will be starting at the 4, he's exactly what Hurley loves and what we've needed for a while. He's a top 50 guy that didn't come here to sit while Polley gets manhandled at the 4.

Yeah I was surprised how many people were leaving him out. Easily the first to start of the freshman, just because of position and the other options available.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's because he hasn't had any options. I think that's about to change. He can now play matchups and determine which guys compliment other guys. I've mentioned it before, but Vital with Gaffney and Bouk with AG makes sense to me. Clearly CV will get more minutes than Gaffney, but it's still rational.

When Akok is in, I don't think Polley at the 3 is ideal unless we are matching up with a very big team like USF. Sid provides more athleticism and shot blocking. Against smaller teams I can see Polley at the 4, Bouk at the 3. I expect Adams will play and become something of a defensive shut down guy at the 2 or 3.

Hurley is talking about having a team that can go 10 deep for the first time in his coaching career. He's going to look to create mismatches and ensure others aren't creating mismatches against us.

The guys need consistency. Especially a team that's struggled to win. And is incorporating some new pieces.

Kids need to know their role. Shuffling starting lineups is a recipe for inconsistent play imo.

I like to see mismatches exploited at the first substitution opportunity. Especially when you can do it against another teams second unit.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yeah I was surprised how many people were leaving him out. Easily the first to start of the freshman, just because of position and the other options available.
429 recommended caution on our exuberance.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

It's not exuberance. It's simply going for any kind of defensive competence down low. Polley offers very little, plus no rebounding.

Akok gives us rim protection, motor, and some rebounding. If he does nothing else, that's an upgrade over everyone else.

That said, I expect him to be in foul trouble much of the year a la Brimah. The only reason I could see him not starting would be to limit early fouls. That will depend on his play.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's not exuberance. It's simply going for any kind of defensive competence down low. Polley offers very little, plus no rebounding.

Akok gives us rim protection, motor, and some rebounding. If he does nothing else, that's an upgrade over everyone else.

That said, I expect him to be in foul trouble much of the year a la Brimah. The only reason I could see him not starting would be to limit early fouls. That will depend on his play.
Limiting fouls, possibly needing him to play minutes at the five and, although heralded, he’s a freshman and relatively new to the game are all reasons we are conjecturing where he will be in the rotation.

I’m excited to see what he brings and am hopeful Tyler makes significant strides in his game.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have a real hard time thinking Hurley is going to start a child over CV at this point. If they were some generational talent then obviously that’s different but is that the case?

Reaction Score
Vital, Carlton and Gilbert are the locks. Polley likely. If Bouknight is that skilled he starts. Akok comes in for a Polley. The rest is a rotation that will depend on who brings it. Hurley will give everyone a chance against the cupcakes but performance against good teams will determine who gets the minutes and starts. Who’s making shots and the least mistakes? Who will play defense?

Reaction Score
From what I have seen from the coach he values speed and quickness. I don’t think Polley and Akok play together all that much. May the better man win. Competition for PT will make them both better

Reaction Score

I hope you're referring to @Kemba429 because I probably have as good of a guess as anyone. I have seen him play maybe 3 or 4x.

If I were to guess, Hurley doesn't start the freshman but works their playing time in based on results. It's a big risk to throw 99% of freshman out their into the trenches--could do some damage to confidence. By December/January we'd hope to see freshman starting or earning starter minutes.

I do think we should recognize that Akok wasn't THAT highly rated before one really good weekend in AAU. He's likely not that polished. Huge ceiling, but initial contribution is a mystery

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hope you're referring to @Kemba429 because I probably have as good of a guess as anyone. I have seen him play maybe 3 or 4x.

If I were to guess, Hurley doesn't start the freshman but works their playing time in based on results. It's a big risk to throw 99% of freshman out their into the trenches--could do some damage to confidence. By December/January we'd hope to see freshman starting or earning starter minutes.

I do think we should recognize that Akok wasn't THAT highly rated before one really good weekend in AAU. He's likely not that polished. Huge ceiling, but initial contribution is a mystery

Akok has also been with the team since the winter. So may have earned some trust. It could be Polley at PF. We know he "won" the offseason. But he doesn't add shotblocking and will need to prove he is willing to rebound.

Bouknight's best chance to start early on could be at the 3. Later it wouldn't surprise me if he surpassed CV. As I mentioned in a different post, I think Hurley will like the idea of senior-freshmen guard pairings. CV in when Gaffney is at PG. That means Bouk playing SG with AG for stretches.

We are all just guessing here. Not sure what Sid will bring, he could be a big factor at the 3 or a complete dud. I think Hurley likes Adams and will get him minutes. But everybody on this team will need to fight for minutes. That is a good thing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Gilbert, Vital, Polley, Akok, Carlton

I'm surprised anyone disagrees with that. Although I think by mid season, bouk might force his way into the third guard spot.

Reaction Score
if bouk and akok are good enough to start from day 1 the team is dancing this year

Reaction Score
Gilbert, Vital, Polley, Akok, Carlton

I'm surprised anyone disagrees with that. Although I think by mid season, bouk might force his way into the third guard spot.
Too slow, not enough ball handlers. Our teams have thrived with 2 point guards on the floor

ctchamps

Reaction Score

It was your observation that I was referring to. What you just wrote is what I remembered you stating before. I was responding to @intlzncster who stated Akok most likely will start over Polley.

Reaction Score
In the games CV didn’t start he struggled.

That doesn’t mean he can’t change. It means coaches need to be aware of this and I’m positive they are. As a freshmen Bouknight will be comfortable with coming off the bench.

First game starters unless disciplinary problems:

AG
CV
SW
Tyler Phommachanh
JC

As season progresses the starting constants will be AG, CV and JC.
Just mention to him Ray Allen didn’t start yet I think he still led the team in scoring as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple to me. First game here is the lineup:
Gilbert Vital polley akok Carlton. By mid December , bouknight will be replacing CV or polley in the lineup. No way sid sees starting five unless he’s an animal first 5-8 games.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It really depends. If Bouknight is ready Day 1, maybe he starts.
If he's not, we might have no choice but to put Polley at the 3. That might not be a bad thing, depends if he's improved his handle/slashing/interior ability.

Ideally-
Gilbert, Vital, Bouknight, Akok, Carlton. That's no disrespect to Polley, as on a good team I see him, at best, being a really good 3 pt sniper off the bench. I think his defense will come along, the more he guards the 3 and the less he has to guard interior forwards.

Safe money opening night lineup is Gilbert, Vital, Polley, Akok, Carlton. That doesn't feel like a Hurley lineup though, but it's probably our safest/most probable lineup.

Sid Wilson remains the wild card. He could end up being a starter and an absolute force, or he could struggle to earn Hurley's trust and scrape for 15-20 min a game. I just don't know.

I also think B. Adams will be getting a lot more playing time than most expect. We are a bit shallow at guard (young, mostly), and he's more of the prototypical Hurley guard. Also he's built and can defend multiple positions, and I'm assuming has developed his shot further. His shot looked good last season, he just looked every bit of a 3 star guard figuring out the ropes and adjusting to the speed of D1 basketball. He has incredible upside though, imo.

Reaction Score
Aside from a starting lineup, I am intrigued by a lineup of:

AG
CV
JB
Tyler Phommachanh
AA

If Akoks & Bouknight shooting is as advertised, that is a potential 5 shooter lineup that on paper should be able to match up just fine size wise. Sort of the same idea as golden States "death lineup", for a quick 5 minute burst when it makes sense could really be devastating.

C

Chief00

Chief is more a rotation guy than a starting lineup type. It’s more about how you win games. But, anything that engages the casual fans is fine with me. Starting lineup discussions seem to interest them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Chief is more a rotation guy than a starting lineup type. It’s more about how you win games. But, anything that engages the casual fans is fine with me. Starting lineup discussions seem to interest them.

I agree that who starts doesn’t mean much. Who finishes will matter. My main expectation is that everyone will see minutes decline except maybe Carlton and Gilbert. We are deep. We will be playing pressure D with high intensity. Anybody who is doing that will need a break, anybody who isn’t will get a seat on the bench.

Reaction Score

Chief wants to put out a participation report like Edsall

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom