Starting Lineup Redux | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting Lineup Redux

Reaction Score
Many years, but not all, UConn has had at least one player that was a preseason pick as an All American, POY, or even just among a handful as best at their position - proven big dogs. Lobo, Bird, Abrosimova, Sales, DT, KML, Montgomery, Charles, Stewart, Collier, KLS, Tiffany Hayes, Nurse and Gabby. Not sure complete list and the point here isn't to argue who should be in it but rather that in most tears going into a season there was at least one proven A list player.

This is one of those years where there is no one who is a proven top 1 percent player. ONO would be closest and hopefully this year she proves she belongs on the list of elite UConn players. All the rest have as yet not established themselves as on a par with even the second tier of UConn players. It will be interesting to see which, if any, of them stake out a claim as an elite UConn player. The possibilities are endless.

Reaction Score
Olivia, Christyn, Anna, Evina, and Paige will start with Aubrey first off the bench. When Aubrey learns to shoot, she will push for a starting job.

Reaction Score
I think, and this is definitely my own opinion, that Geno would like to start a lineup with two strong rebounders. That would be Ono and Edwards. If Paige is all she is fantasized to be she will be a third starter. That would leave the fourth and fifth spot for Williams, Westbrook, Griffin, Murakat or McLain. Much will be determined by Geno and the staff during what is probably going to be a restricted practice time. I think that there is such a wealth of talent that right now Ono is the only player who can be pretty much assured of starting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno does not often start a freshman point guard on day 1, but he has. Jenn Rizzoti, Sue Bird, even Ketia Swanier have started the openning game freshman. If Paige is as good as advertised, she may start. If not, maybe later.
I'm not convinced that Evina will start. Her numbers at Tennessee are not impressive.
Anna can handle distribution very well.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It adds to my anticipation that we can actually have a discussion over lineups for next years team. So much flexibility and no one has mentioned "The Sleeper" Nika Muhl. From the bits I've seen I would love to see her on the floor with Paige, Evina, and Anna. It could be Showtime Uconn Style.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"By the end of next year, ‘I am going to be saying we wouldn’t have won the national championship without her’thinking about who is starting " Gives us some little insight into Geno's line up objectives this season.

Reaction Score
"By the end of next year, ‘I am going to be saying we wouldn’t have won the national championship without her’thinking about who is starting " Gives us some little insight into Geno's line up objectives this season.

I have no idea what this means in terms of predicting who might start. He has started the worst low post players in America and still went undefeated.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what this means in terms of predicting who might start. He has started the worst low post players in America and still went undefeated.

“Worst low post players in America?” I think even you would admit this is a little bit of hyperbole.

Reaction Score
“Worst low post players in America?” I think even you would admit this is a little bit of hyperbole.

Tell me, after one loss you think he is gong to stand by the comment that's been quoted if "she" plays well and they don't play as well without her? How many coaches can make any commit as to who will start and who won't at season's end with as much change as UCONN has had? The quotes are similar in their absurdity.

Reaction Score
I think this is going to be a very good UConn team as always. What has been challenging for the Huskies the last few seasons, and trust me that's a relative term since the last four years the team has been at worst top 5, is the lack of size and depth. On paper these have been addressed but they are still very young. This team could win the national championship and will likely be towards or at the top if they are all healthy and play up to expectations. I've never seen PB play but I trust those on this board when I read them post about how legit she is. I look forward to watching her.

This is honestly going to be a bit of a transition year for some teams. Oregon also brings in a talented class but lost a ton experience and skill. South Carolina returns their stacked rookie class but will have to replace two strong leaders. Baylor also returns a lot but lost its leader.

All my statements are based on the course of everyone staying healthy and able to play. Yes, I'm ready for basketball to tip off already.

Reaction Score
Tell me, after one loss you think he is gong to stand by the comment that's been quoted if "she" plays well and they don't play as well without her? How many coaches can make any commit as to who will start and who won't at season's end with as much change as UCONN has had? The quotes are similar in their absurdity.

Agreed, but I didn’t write that quote. And don’t feel it’s my responsibility to comment on every absurd statement. (That’s a 24/7 job). ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think there’s anyway UConn will be able to keep Anna out of the starting lineup. By the end of the year she was a stabilizing force and a go to on offense. If she picks up there she will be more valuable than Williams. For Griffin to get major playing time she will need to shoot better or she will be first or second off the bench. As for Westbrook there was an article about the 10 best players for the season last year that she would have been on had she not been injured. If Westbrook is healthy she could easily be in all American. ONO Will be better than last year and Edwards looks to be the real deal. From watching the clips of Paige I think she will have A banner on the wall at Gampel,as for the other incoming freshmen time will tell how quickly they pick up the system and create playing time for themselves.

Reaction Score
I think, and this is definitely my own opinion, that Geno would like to start a lineup with two strong rebounders. That would be Ono and Edwards. If Paige is all she is fantasized to be she will be a third starter. That would leave the fourth and fifth spot for Williams, Westbrook, Griffin or McLain. Much will be determined by Geno and the staff during what is probably going to be a restricted practice time. I think that there is such a wealth of talent that right now Ono is the only player who can be pretty much assured of starting.
Agree completely on Ono being the only player assured of starting. Most seem to think others are a lock because they started last year, or was the nation's number 1 recruit. While I personally would like her to be the first off the bench, Westbrook is clearly a potential threat to start instead of Paige at PG, CW at SG, or instead of Anna at SF. Probably half the posters think she or Anna is also a threat to start at PF instead of Griffin or Edwards, and the posters in that camp generally think CW is safe because they can find another way to get Westbrook into the starting lineup.

If Geno goes with more of a true PF, then CW is vulnerable if Anna is looking good, Paige looks like the real deal and CW isn't any better than last year. You could make a case that CW and EV had sophomore seasons that were roughly equal, and SG is probably the best position for both, although Evina appears to be more versatile.

Reaction Score
I nominate the above post for utilizing the most initials in one post, not only for players but also for positions. @veryolddog may have trouble with the above post as well. :rolleyes:
In that vein, GA wil start EW, CW, ONO, AM, and AG with PB being the first guard in and AE being the first inside player in. GA will play the same defense he installed at the end of last season which is a FCP with a HCT. That way he can play all 10 players who can learn the defense sooner than the offense and get them game experience and also rest his starters at times to make them more effective while they are in and ensure that they are not worn down by the end of the regular season. You really need a dependable bench to run that defense GI and GO. He has to bring along all of these players not only for the BD and FF this year but also for the future and that means PT. What better way to do it than to press with the depth he will have next year for the FT in a LT?

Reaction Score
I think your assumptions are right on for the first 3-5 games of the season. It is my off the wall assumption that after that period, AE will replace Anna. Paige will run the point with CW and EW as the wings. This is the most balanced team. Anna could be first off the bench replacing either wing or Paige by moving EW to the point. AG is the first interior player of the bench. My biggest hope is that Aubrey becomes the 'Aubreylicious' lock down defender like 'The Gabulous One' and be a stopper on any of the opponents 1 through 4.
Y'all who continue to think Anna isn't starting all season are so mistaken in my opinion. By the end of the year, she was the most dynamic playmaker on the floor.....

Reaction Score
Y'all who continue to think Anna isn't starting all season are so mistaken in my opinion. By the end of the year, she was the most dynamic playmaker on the floor.....
But who will she replace, the only way I see her starting is if can defend some power forwards, we’ll never know what would have been, but Anna isn’t a starter last season if Westbrook plays.

Reaction Score
But who will she replace, the only way I see her starting is if can defend some power forwards, we’ll never know what would have been, but Anna isn’t a starter last season if Westbrook plays.
But she was a starter and Geno is loyal and consistent about those things.

Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Griffin, and ONO start with Bueckers and Edwards first off the bench. Muhl gets in at the beginning of the 4th with McClean and Piath coming in during the 4th.

Reaction Score
But she was a starter and Geno is loyal and consistent about those things.

Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Griffin, and ONO start with Bueckers and Edwards first off the bench. Muhl gets in at the beginning of the 4th with McClean and Piath coming in during the 4th.
I agree except that I see Nika, Mir and Piath being in the rotation earlier than the 4th quarter due to the defensive pressing and trapping. If you have the depth, use it.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Nice post. It is refreshing to not have to read about Covid-19 or protesrs!

Reaction Score
Just for fun—and it won’t happen—but it would be fun to see this starting five: Anna, Paige, Edwards (because I can never spell her first name), Mir, and Olivia. I almost pit Aubrey in instead of Olivia. I know, I know, I know...I said just for fun.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Agree that in spurts she can make heady plays. I think we may have a difference of opinion on what constitutes a dynamic playmaker. The two most dynamic players on this years team , IMHO, didn’t play last year, Paige and Evina. I believe Anna and Aubrey will share the sixth man role depending on the needs at that time. Of the two Aubrey could have a spectacular sophomore spurt as she gains confidence, shots with more authority, and becomes a lock down defender

Reaction Score
Agree that in spurts she can make heady plays. I think we may have a difference of opinion on what constitutes a dynamic playmaker. The two most dynamic players on this years team , IMHO, didn’t play last year, Paige and Evina. I believe Anna and Aubrey will share the sixth man role depending on the needs at that time. Of the two Aubrey could have a spectacular sophomore spurt as she gains confidence, shots with more authority, and becomes a lock down defender
We do need many more Husky fans in South Carolina as well!!!

Reaction Score
If you look at Geno's tendencies. 1. He prefers to start experience over freshman & 2. He is pretty loyal about starting returning starters. (The three we return already have existing chemistry.) I go by position first and three are easy to pick.

SG- Christyn Williams- I don't think you can undervalue that she has the most experience in a UCONN Uniform out of any player on the team. Only player with significant NCAAT experience.

W- Ana Makurat-UCONN teams tend to have a taller player, with good handles, the ability to pass, and excellent three point shooting at this spot. Ana fits the mold of the player Geno recruits for this position. (Strother, KML, KLS).

Center- ONO is the only experience here, a returning starter, and a reliable safety net. Lock to start.

Next, its about looking at who is left for the open positions.

PG- Westbrook, Bueckers, or Muhl. Going back to Geno's tendencies, he would start Westbrook over Bueckers since she has more D1 basketball experience with proven success. Even Maya, KML, & DT didn't start until injuries opened the door, and they were top options on the team. That is why I would expect Westbrook to start.

PF- This is the hardest for me. Griffin or Edwards. If Griffin's offensive game hasn't expanded, Edwards could simply be more talented than her. In the past, Geno has shown he will start a freshman if they are more talented than a returning non-starter. (Example: KLS over Gabby Williams). Somehow, I think Edwards beats Griffin and takes the last spot. Its hard to use this rationale here but bench Bueckers above. I think the difference is that at PG, Westbrook has proven success, where Griffin at the 4 is less proven. A lot hinges on her offensive development.

Final - Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Edwards, ONO

Bueckers is going to end up playing starter minutes & Griffin will be a major defensive spark plug off the bench.

We have a lot of players who can mix and match in the lineup, so I would expect a year where the starters are consistent, but the combination of 5 players that proves most effective changes often.

Reaction Score
If you look at Geno's tendencies. 1. He prefers to start experience over freshman & 2. He is pretty loyal about starting returning starters. (The three we return already have existing chemistry.) I go by position first and three are easy to pick.

SG- Christyn Williams- I don't think you can undervalue that she has the most experience in a UCONN Uniform out of any player on the team. Only player with significant NCAAT experience.

W- Ana Makurat-UCONN teams tend to have a taller player, with good handles, the ability to pass, and excellent three point shooting at this spot. Ana fits the mold of the player Geno recruits for this position. (Strother, KML, KLS).

Center- ONO is the only experience here, a returning starter, and a reliable safety net. Lock to start.

Next, its about looking at who is left for the open positions.

PG- Westbrook, Bueckers, or Muhl. Going back to Geno's tendencies, he would start Westbrook over Bueckers since she has more D1 basketball experience with proven success. Even Maya, KML, & DT didn't start until injuries opened the door, and they were top options on the team. That is why I would expect Westbrook to start.

PF- This is the hardest for me. Griffin or Edwards. If Griffin's offensive game hasn't expanded, Edwards could simply be more talented than her. In the past, Geno has shown he will start a freshman if they are more talented than a returning non-starter. (Example: KLS over Gabby Williams). Somehow, I think Edwards beats Griffin and takes the last spot. Its hard to use this rationale here but bench Bueckers above. I think the difference is that at PG, Westbrook has proven success, where Griffin at the 4 is less proven. A lot hinges on her offensive development.

Final - Westbrook, Williams, Makurat, Edwards, ONO

Bueckers is going to end up playing starter minutes & Griffin will be a major defensive spark plug off the bench.

We have a lot of players who can mix and match in the lineup, so I would expect a year where the starters are consistent, but the combination of 5 players that proves most effective changes often.
Totally plausible. I'm with you on 4 of the 5. I agree with your logic completely except I believe Aubrey will unveil the rest of her game and be the starting PF in a SF body....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom