Starting lineup/broken record | The Boneyard

Starting lineup/broken record

Reaction Score
I’ll say it for the millionth time. If we keep trotting that starting lineup out there, we will keep putting ourselves in a position to lose. Whaley and Jackson give nothing on offense. I don’t care about their “intangibles”. Neither of them are consistently productive enough to deserve the minutes they are getting. It’s the same pattern just about every game, especially against good teams. Gotta score to win. These slow starts doom us just about every game.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’ll say it for the millionth time. If we keep trotting that starting lineup out there, we will keep putting ourselves in a position to lose. Whaley and Jackson give nothing on offense. I don’t care about their “intangibles”. Neither of them are consistently productive enough to deserve the minutes they are getting. It’s the same pattern just about every game, especially against good teams. Gotta score to win. These slow starts doom us just about every game.
Our backup 3/4 had 0. Our backup wing had 3 points on 1-5 shooting. Who should start?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It honestly doesn't matter who we start. The minutes are starting to add up though, especially with Cole, and I think we are seeing some fatigue. Hurley has to manage minutes better so players are fresh at the end of the game and the end of the season.

Reaction Score
His leash for AJ and Whaley is wayyyyy too long. Start Hawkins over AJ and give him as long a leash. Do something. Anything.
This. Start Hawk.

For all AJ does, the mistakes and turnovers are driving me crazy. Tell AJ he's the backup point guard, 6th man that brings energy off the bench. Move Gaffney off the ball and tell him to attack the rim like he did this past game. Improves spacing in our 1st unit and better defined rules for AJ/Gaffney in the second unit.

Reaction Score
It honestly doesn't matter who we start. The minutes are starting to add up though, especially with Cole, and I think we are seeing some fatigue. Hurley has to manage minutes better so players are fresh at the end of the game and the end of the season.
Except the data suggests this isn't true. Cole is avergaging the minutes of most upperclassmen star players. In no way is he being overextended. Particularly in the Big East. For example, Nova has two guys who average more minutes per game. For fun, I checked how many minutes El-Amin played his last year. Low and behold, it was quite similar to Cole this year, albeit a minute less.

Reaction Score
Why are we worried about the offense? I've been told the defense is more of an issue.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This. Start Hawk.

For all AJ does, the mistakes and turnovers are driving me crazy. Tell AJ he's the backup point guard, 6th man that brings energy off the bench. Move Gaffney off the ball and tell him to attack the rim like he did this past game. Improves spacing in our 1st unit and better defined rules for AJ/Gaffney in the second unit.
Are you going off of first half Gaffney or second half Gaffney? Jackson is the only other point guard on the team. Start Hawkins over Whaley. No point starting two centers especially when Whaley has no offensive game. Jackson has also made more three's in conference than Gaffney. Hawkins or even Polley should start over Whaley

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Except the data suggests this isn't true. Cole is avergaging the minutes of most upperclassmen star players. In no way is he being overextended. Particularly in the Big East. For example, Nova has two guys who average more minutes per game. For fun, I checked how many minutes El-Amin played his last year. Low and behold, it was quite similar to Cole this year, albeit a minute less.

A few things:

1) UConn is playing 6 games in 15 days.

2) El-Amin played over 20 years ago.

3) Cole has the ball in his hand on every possession, and is checking the other team's point guard. He is not just standing around as a decoy.

Doesn't matter what I think. Hurley is one tantrum away from playing Cole almost the entire game for the rest of the season, so we will find out if you are right and Cole doesn't need breaks.

Reaction Score
A few things:

1) UConn is playing 6 games in 15 days.

2) El-Amin played over 20 years ago.

3) Cole has the ball in his hand on every possession, and is checking the other team's point guard. He is not just standing around as a decoy.

Doesn't matter what I think. Hurley is one tantrum away from playing Cole almost the entire game for the rest of the season, so we will find out if you are right and Cole doesn't need breaks.
I never said Cole doesn’t need breaks. I also never said Cole should play the entire game. I simply said that if you look at his minutes played, almost all big East teams have at least 1 guy who averages more minutes than him. Some teams have two. So to suggest he is tired is subjective and you have no data to prove your point. 32.9 minutes for a player like Cole in today’s college game is quite normal.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
His leash for AJ and Whaley is wayyyyy too long. Start Hawkins over AJ and give him as long a leash. Do something. Anything.
But there’s no solution. Hawkins isn’t ready and Polley is not consistent enough to be starting. You have to hope AJ and Whaley play better because they’re 2 of our best 5 guys.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We should’ve played this game at Gampel, no reason why we should be playing any game anywhere else.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
C'mon, guys. Everyone here knows conclusively that the starting lineup needs to be Diggins, Gaffney, Akok, Springs, and Johnson.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Hurley wanted this defensive orientated, long, tough, athletic team, like the 2019 Florida State team we played. He got it and they’re competitive and no one wants to play us. The glaring problem is that the team can’t make enough shots. Starting 3 non-shooters in today’s game is way against the grain. He didn’t prioritize shot making enough. Starting Hawkins or Polley over Whaley or Jackson would be giving up on Hurley’s vision. He speaks about playing to our identity a lot. Better hope we turn into the best defensive team in the country to make up for what we lack on offense.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Hurley wanted this defensive orientated, long, tough, athletic team, like the 2019 Florida State team we played. He got it and they’re competitive and no one wants to play us. The glaring problem is that the team can’t make enough shots. Starting 3 non-shooters in today’s game is way against the grain. He didn’t prioritize shot making enough. Starting Hawkins or Polley over Whaley or Jackson would be giving up on Hurley’s vision. He speaks about playing to our identity a lot. Better hope we turn into the best defensive team in the country to make up for what we lack on offense.
Good offense beats good defense most days in college hoops.

Reaction Score
I don't know for sure, but my guess would be the +/- with Hawkins, Gaffney, and or Polley on the floor isn't great. If we continued to play man to man, the other team would simply isolate any of these three one on one and take it to the hoop at will. I feel the same frustration as most do. The reality is, Hurley hands are tied. He has to start the guys he has been because they still, even with their offensive limitations, give us the best chance to win.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Whaley can contribute on offensive. He has many put backs and when free he can shoot it. He should shoot more. Other than giving the crowd a rise by one of his thunderous put backs, I feel he gives nothing. How many games ago did Whaley knock down 25? When Polley gets uncorked he is the same.

Reaction Score
But there’s no solution. Hawkins isn’t ready and Polley is not consistent enough to be starting. You have to hope AJ and Whaley play better because they’re 2 of our best 5 guys.
I get the conundrum. But by now, most sane people would have tried something different just for the sake of trying something different. The lineup isn’t working.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I don't know for sure, but my guess would be the +/- with Hawkins, Gaffney, and or Polley on the floor isn't great. If we continued to play man to man, the other team would simply isolate any of these three one on one and take it to the hoop at will. I feel the same frustration as most do. The reality is, Hurley hands are tied. He has to start the guys he has been because they still, even with their offensive limitations, give us the best chance to win.
Hurley put all of his shooting eggs in one basket with Polley, despite knowing he isn’t a good shooter. So we struck out in the transfer portal. And to no one’s surprise here, he hasn’t panned out or been dependable. Hawkins was supposed to provide similar production/efficiency to Bouknight’s freshman year. That hasn’t panned out.

I think sometimes Hurley looks at our team with rose colored glasses. Thinks we’re better than we actually are.

Reaction Score

Arguably, it was difficult to manage the minutes last game...all the freaking foul trouble.

But overall, you are correct. Cole is whooped...u can see it when he rolls out in the second half. Martin too. It's like their bodies slow down until the 6 minute mark in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score

LOL. We have been a top 15-30 team all season with that “broken” lineup.

Reaction Score
LOL. We have been a top 15-30 team all season with that “broken” lineup.
Most UConn fans aspire to being better than 15-30. Glad you are happy with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom