Starting Line-Ups 22/23 | The Boneyard

Starting Line-Ups 22/23

Reaction Score
1. Nika
2. Paige
3. Azzi
4. Caroline
5. Dorka/Aaliyah

Nika has to start. With Azzi and Paige in the game they are an offensive two headed snakes and automatic starters. Nika can draw the best guard on the other team without wearing Paige and Azzi having to work too hard on defense. They're needed much more on the other end anyway.

Why not start two centers? Because until they prove they are not foul prone we need post back-ups more than we need them to start. Caroline can play the four and at 6'2 it's time for her to go to the post. I also can't take Nika out of line-up. Bring Aubrey, Amari, Lou off the bench until Ice Brady and Ayanna are up to speed.

Ice Brady is going to be a huge factor. A big with a solid jump shot is what is missing to draw bigger defender out so the others can go to work. I honestly think if Amari, Dorka, Aaliyah can make three pointers they are going to be dangerous. If not, Ice Brady is going to nudge someone out of something because she's tall, physical and has a really good jumper.

What's your line-up and why?

Reaction Score
I think of the back court primarily as Paige and Azzi, with Caroline at the wing, and Aaliyah and Dorka in the front court.

It's not the speediest lineup, but with Nika spelling the backcourt, getting 20 mins/game, and Lou spelling Caroline, they won't have a fatigue or a foul problem Similarly, with Amari spelling Dorka, and Ice and Ayanna spelling Aaliyah, they are again foul-proof and not going to wear out. The important thing for me is having a 10 man rotation, rather than who starts. What matters is getting Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah and Dorka ~30 mins each, but also making sure Amari and Ice get ~10 mins. If Aubrey can come back, then this gets a bit more complicated.

Reaction Score
My line-up:

Nika
Paige
Azzi
Aaliyah
Dorka

Paige and Azzi are practically locks for the starting line-up because duh. Getting to see them both at 100% and consistently playing together (barring any injuries PLEASE GOD) is so exciting I can’t even put it into words. They both have the potential to be First Team All-Americans and challenge for NPOY. I’m excited to see Paige (and the rest of the 2020 recruiting class) take on more of a leadership role without last year’s senior class to defer to. Then, if Azzi makes a sophomore leap, look out! She showed a bit of what she is capable of this year after missing basically half the season. A bit more confidence and experience plus the amazing skill set and work ethic she already has gives her the potential to be a superstar.

You start Nika for the defense intensity, leadership, and intangibles she brings. It’ll be interesting to see if she gets that starting spot from Day 1 next year because in the past 2 years her insertion into the starting line-up came mid-season and marked a turning point. DPOY again for sure. Maybe even an all-conference selection. I do wanna see her gain more confidence driving to the rim. I feel like she did a bit more of that her freshman year than her sophomore year. But her 3-point shot improved immensely throughout the course of the season. Like Geno said before, with the offensive weapons around her she really only needs to make enough shots to keep defenses honest. Nika’s bread and butter will always be how she turns defense into offense.

I think Aaliyah is the nearly a lock in the starting line-up as well. She brings physicality, relentless rebounding, defensive versatility, and allows us to match up well with bigger teams when she is at the 4. I hope she has a big summer and makes a delayed “sophomore leap” that we didn’t see this year. I think her improvement is the key to a successful year. When she is good and on, she changes the game and can bring something that no one else does. I’m interested to see how Ice Brady backs her up because I think their skill sets are similar.

You start Dorka for size, rebounding, passing, and offensive versatility. She’ll get to play more of a 5 than a backup 4 this year in the absence of Liv. If she recovers well from the wrist injury and isn’t nagged by lingering issues throughout the preseason, I can see her having a big year and potentially making all-conference.

I’m putting in an early ballot for Caroline Ducharme as 6th Woman of the Year. I also wouldn’t be surprised if she’s in the starting lineup either. However, I do think she is the first one off the bench this year and leads the second unit. I’m looking forward to seeing how she improves over the summer and preseason. Hopefully her performance in the NC game gives her some momentum going into the summer. It was the first time since the head injury that she looked like the Caroline that carried us through basically all of January. Her biggest areas for improvement are probably getting her 3-point shooting more consistent and defense. I want more CD blocks (a la the January Creighton game) and post-ups (a la the Louisville game). Hoping for a big year for her as well. I think she’s the X-factor come March.

As for the rest of the team, their roles and impacts are a big question mark and I don’t think there is enough info to guess how their seasons will go. Hopefully Ayanna and Ice can adjust quickly and make instant impacts. I think Ayanna plays a backup wing position (similar to Caroline) and Ice backs up Aaliyah. Hoping for a good senior year for Aubrey but coming off a back injury is tough. I think she gives some minutes off the bench at the wing as well. Depending on her recovery and summer+preseason performance, she is either in front of or behind Ayanna on the wing depth chart (with Caroline being the primary wing). I’m hopeful for Amari and think she could have an impactful year. She is the only one with the potential to play a backup 5 (to Dorka) because of her size but she brings a much different look to Dorka. She has the potential to fill alot of the gaps we have from losing Liv (mainly high-post passing) and her outside jumpshot could be a key weapon for stretching defenses out. Finally, I think Lou plays more of a backup 2 (to Azzi). Hopefully her game translates to better competition. She adds some good size and versatility to the backcourt. She could also be the secondary wing option (to Caroline). Again, all depending on how summer and preseason pan out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Aaliyah, Dorka, Paige and Azzi are locks. The question is Nika or Caroline. Besides the obvious scoring advantage, Caroline may help with rebounding vs Nika, but Nika can be so disruptive defensively. Will Lou2 cut into Caroline’s playing time?

Reaction Score
Yay!! Got some good one looks so far. I think a lot is going to depend on how well Dorka progresses after her hand injury and how the new players "adapt" to the UConn Way.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1. Nika
2. Paige
3. Azzi
4. Caroline
5. Dorka/Aaliyah

Nika has to start.

What's your line-up and why?
jenna fischer raise hand GIF

Why?

My Lineup is:
Paige PG
Azzi SG
Caroline SF
AE PF
Dorka C

2nd Unit
PG Nika
SG Lou 2
SF Aubrey if Healthy (Patterson if not)
PF Ice Brady
C Amari

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think a fair amount depends on 2 things:
  1. Does UCONN pick up 1 solid post via the portal - a transfer who can play right away?
  2. How much does Amari improve over the summer and how quickly can Ice get up to speed?
The answer to Q1 seems to be "doubtful". If the answer to 2 is "a fair amount, and fairly quickly", then I think Dorka starts. If the answer is less favorable, then I think she comes off the bench. Nika is a tougher call IMHO, but she brings someting to the table no one else does, including intangibles. .

Locks to start - Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah.

I tend to lean more towards Nika as the 5th starter, but great options for Geno. If Nika wants to be a starter, IMHO she needs to be a more willing shooter. Her 3 point % was actually quite good after coming back from her injury, so she's not a liability there at all. She just needs to be willing.

Reaction Score

I tend to lean more towards Nika as the 5th starter
I like the lineup of Nika, Paige, Azzi, Caroline & Aaliyah as well. My only concern is that you’re gonna be at a size disadvantage against bigger teams without any 6’5” and above players on the court. You can probably get away with this lineup in Big East Conference play but you’ll definitely need the size of Dorka (or possibly Amari) when playing out of conference against teams like South Carolina or Stanford.

Reaction Score
In the Big East you can get away with 1 post (DJ or AE with the other starters being Paige, Azzi, CD and Nika) but against the top teams in the country you need to have 2 bigs with the starting 5 being Paige, Azzi, CD, AE and DJ.

Reaction Score
Geno likes having 5 players that can score on the floor to start games, IMO. I love Nika, but she is the perfect off the bench person, IMO. She can be so disruptive and completely change the game when things get stagnant.

The starters will be, IMO-

Paige
Azzi
Caroline
Alliyah
Dorka

PvP

Reaction Score
Lou Lo will not be a starter but she won't represent a significant drop off when she enters the game either. She has height, experience and can score from anywhere. She is an ideal pickup, complementing such a great existing foursome in the backcourt!

Reaction Score
In the Big East you can get away with 1 post (DJ or AE with the other starters being Paige, Azzi, CD and Nika) but against the top teams in the country you need to have 2 bigs with the starting 5 being Paige, Azzi, CD, AE and DJ.
For that reason, I think it is more important to develop chemistry during the whole season with the two big lineup. That is what we will need in the games that count.

Reaction Score
I think a fair amount depends on 2 things:
  1. Does UCONN pick up 1 solid post via the portal - a transfer who can play right away?
  2. How much does Amari improve over the summer and how quickly can Ice get up to speed?
The answer to Q1 seems to be "doubtful". If the answer to 2 is "a fair amount, and fairly quickly", then I think Dorka starts. If the answer is less favorable, then I think she comes off the bench. Nika is a tougher call IMHO, but she brings someting to the table no one else does, including intangibles. .

I tend to lean more towards Nika as the 5th starter,
but great options for Geno. If Nika wants to be a starter, IMHO she needs to be a more willing shooter. Her 3 point % was actually quite good after coming back from her injury, so she's not a liability there at all. She just needs to be willing.
Good luck with that interior defense and rebounding. Juhasz will probably be at the scorer's table to check in before the 2 minute mark. And that's minimal help in those areas. Pray that Brady and/or Patterson can help right away. :eek:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I agree with those suggesting Dorkha Juhasz and Aaliyah Edwards up front, along with Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd and Caroline Ducharme in the backcourt.

From a somewhat outside(r) perspective, my reason for this is rebounding and lane protection. ON-O averaged 7.5 rpg and had 55 blocks last year. I don't think Juhasz or Edwards will match her in the block department (that's a specialized skill set), but both of them were over 5 rpg per game last year and can raise that number easier than, say, another guard in a "small" lineup. They should get help off the bench with Patterson, Brady and/or Griffin.

Ducharme averaged 3.2 rpg last year and with a regular rotation (and season, for that matter), I'd expect that number to rise, too, given her height and propensity for finding the ball as a tall guard.

Nika Muhl will get plenty of time off the bench, anchoring the 2nd unit and spelling any of the guards depending on what is needed.

Reaction Score
I can envision Brady and Deberry coming off the bench for Dorka and Edwards..........the two of them off the bench may actually be better offensively..........the big question will be about their defense.......should be quite interesting........

Reaction Score
Nika may start in place of Caroline but the best lineup has Caroline in place of Nika. It wouldn't surprise me if sweet Lou ( Chica ) gets as much PT as Nika. If you are looking at it objectively Caroline is the best of that group but Geno may well want to bring some scoring punch off the bench.

Reaction Score
When Nika gets her hands on a rebound, she rarely loses it. I agree--she did a lot of weak-side baseline rebounding, especially late in the season.
I totally agree. Nika is a ball hawk. Rebounding isn’t just about height.

Reaction Score
From the middle of their freshman year I felt Paige , Aaliyah and Nika formed a great core to build around and I still feel that way. I have always favored a Paige and Nika rather than an either or. I think they play well together, especially the second half of freshman year. Nika set a lot of screens for Paige and the ball movement was very good. Even though as others have pointed out Nika almost always makes an impact when entering the game off the bench I feel she is more valuable starting at the the beginning of the first and third quarters. She can be very effective in disrupting the opponents ability to get set and comfortable in their offense and at the same time pushes pace on the our offensive end to get us going early. There were numerous occasions where she was bothering the ball handler coming down court causing an adjustment on the fly which more than a few times led to Paige or Aaliyah getting in the passing lane and intercepting a pass and finishing with a layup on the other end. My hope is that Nika is again used as to best serve the teams success, bringing infectious intensity and energy, helping to facilitate great ball movement, screening, boxouts on rebounds, defensive disruption and of course leading in chest bumps!

We have a really great roster for next season. Lots of talent/skill, I am excited to see what the incoming bigs can add and feel the pick up of 'Loutwo' was a good addition. I think Azzi and Caroline are going to really find their grooves during their sophomore campaigns and both be key contributors, Aaliyah is back to being on track to a unknown potential ceiling, Dorka is going to just continue to excel, hopefully Aubrey will be back fully healthy and be the game changer off the bench she was prior to her injury and Paige is peerless in WCBB. I'm excitedly anticipating seeing an 8-10 person rotation with good minutes spread, solid to stifling defense and really effective multi-option motion offense. We are a lucky fanbase!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom