Starting Five...Next year | The Boneyard

Starting Five...Next year

Reaction Score
We've been trying to decide if there would be a consistent starting five this year and as yet none has appeared. At this late date it would appear that neither Griff nor Anna have nailed down that fifth starter spot and which one gets the lion's share of minutes depends on match-ups and/or how they are playing in any particular game.

Next year we'll have this same conversation, at least for awhile. As I look at the roster we'll have next year it is really hard to get a good sense of what the starting line-up will look like. For discussion purposes I'm defining a starter as a player getting at least 30 minutes a game.

I have a confidence level of 10 out of 10 that Meg, ONO and Westbrook will be starters, and a confidence level of 8 that CW will. I do think CW will start but she may be pushed by some of the freshman for minutes. CW hasn't proved she can score constantly and still tends to penetrate into dead ends.

I'm reserving judgment on all the freshman until I see them play. Gabriel will back up ONO if she can give positive minutes. Bigs tend to develop more slowly, but there is no one else with real size so let's hope she can contribute well enough to give ONO some rest. Edwards will back-up Meg and maybe help spell ONO at times. McLean and Muhl are behind CW.

That leave us the fifth starter spot to fill and Anna, Griff and Paige to account for. Paige likely backs up Westbrook, but if she is as good as we hope she is, Geno will be hard pressed not to give her as many minutes as he can. So, does it come down to the same next year as this, platooning Anna and Griff, or does one of them end up a true starter? As we all know, both of them have the potential to be big time players.

It will be more than interesting to see how it shakes out.

Reaction Score
We've been trying to decide if there would be a consistent starting five this year and as yet none has appeared. At this late date it would appear that neither Griff nor Anna have nailed down that fifth starter spot and which one gets the lion's share of minutes depends on match-ups and/or how they are playing in any particular game.

Next year we'll have this same conversation, at least for awhile. As I look at the roster we'll have next year it is really hard to get a good sense of what the starting line-up will look like. For discussion purposes I'm defining a starter as a player getting at least 30 minutes a game.

I have a confidence level of 10 out of 10 that Meg, ONO and Westbrook will be starters, and a confidence level of 8 that CW will. I do think CW will start but she may be pushed by some of the freshman for minutes. CW hasn't proved she can score constantly and still tends to penetrate into dead ends.

I'm reserving judgment on all the freshman until I see them play. Gabriel will back up ONO if she can give positive minutes. Bigs tend to develop more slowly, but there is no one else with real size so let's hope she can contribute well enough to give ONO some rest. Edwards will back-up Meg and maybe help spell ONO at times. McLean and Muhl are behind CW.

That leave us the fifth starter spot to fill and Anna, Griff and Paige to account for. Paige likely backs up Westbrook, but if she is as good as we hope she is, Geno will be hard pressed not to give her as many minutes as he can. So, does it come down to the same next year as this, platooning Anna and Griff, or does one of them end up a true starter? As we all know, both of them have the potential to be big time players.

It will be more than interesting to see how it shakes out.
i have stated in other posts that my starting five for next year will be Liv, Aubrey, Mir, Aaliyah & Paige with an emphasis on defense, rebounding, hustle and attitude, i.e. Celtics basketball with Liv playing the role of Bill Russell. Lots of scoring in transition via steals and traps. The game plan is to hold the opponent to 40 points while the Huskies score 60, eh?
This lineup renders the opponents 3-point shooting to moot as Aubrey, Mir et al extend our half-court defense out to the arc [and beyond] while Liv protects against layups ... exciting!

Reaction Score
Paige, Westbrook, Williams, Walker and Nelson-Ododa was my guess in the beginning of the season. I think Edwards will surprise many of us and I hope she will be come a Collier type of player when her career is over. I think Aubrey, Makurat, and Edwards will get minutes in addition to the 5 above. They will be the core 8. I just love the fact that we will be deeper and can rotate in bodies if injuries do occur.

I love the idea of Mir and Griffin harassing opposing guards. I really want Megan to spend more time at the 3 next season and give room for Edwards to get in there to play the 4. Muhl gets overlooked but too many guards ahead of her in my opinion barring any injuries.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
i have stated in other posts that my starting five for next year will be Liv, Aubrey, Mir, Aaliyah & Paige with an emphasis on defense, rebounding, hustle and attitude, i.e. Celtics basketball with Liv playing the role of Bill Russell. Lots of scoring in transition via steals and traps. The game plan is to hold the opponent to 40 points while the Huskies score 60, eh?
This lineup renders the opponents 3-point shooting to moot as Aubrey, Mir et al extend our half-court defense out to the arc [and beyond] while Liv protects against layups ... exciting!

If you think Geno is going to bench a two year starter for a freshman, I have some oceanfront property in Kansas I'd like to talk to you about.

Reaction Score

Yes, and likely as accurate as your prediction that Aubrey would lead the team in scoring this year. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
My thought is that my "confidence level" is 10 out of 10 that Meg and ONO start next year. As for the other three, who knows, and likely to change during the season. But see Westbrook, Paige, Christyn, Anna and Edwards as the most likely competitors for that slot. Now let's focus on the last month of the season.

Reaction Score
Gabriel will not back up anyone. If she does it will be the greatest leap in skill in UConn history. By her third year she may be a starter. I hope so. UConn has missed having size down low for a several years (ONO is tall and long but has no size and it's looks like DeBerry is the same type)
Williams has struggled this year. She has been asked to take on responsibilities usually assigned to an upperclassman and it has taken away from her offense. Last year she used her ability to create her own shot and that was about all she had to do. This year she has had to guard better players (with mixed results) and she has had to rebound more instead of releasing down court like last season. I see it more likely that she starts than Westbrook. I think we will see a big improvement from Makurat. I like her court awareness. She is a great shooter who has the height to shoot over defenders. Both she and Griffin will be big contributors next year.
I don't see anyone other than ONO playing 30 min/game. Of course several will in big games but the rotation will be the 5 returnees, Westbrook & Bueckers. 200/7 is 28.5 and with McClean and Edwards sharing 15 minutes that number drops to 26.5, a reasonable number.
My starting 5 is ONO, Walker, Westbrook, Williams and Makurat. There is no true pg in that group but several who can handle the ball and pass and UConn's motion offense doesn't revolve around one player handling the ball much or much dribbling so it can work well.
I think that by New Years it will be apparent that Bueckers is the best player on the team. I looked up Taurasi's freshman minutes and she averaged 24 or 25/game. That team was loaded so maybe Bueckers will get more but no matter how great she is Bueckers will be getting ganged around and I'm sure Geno will want her in April.
Where I may be wrong? The minutes of McClean and Edwards, who may surprise and get more. But if history is a guide they will not be ready. Edwards may be forced to play more as she is the likely player to back up ONO. And Gabriel may surprise.
Geno has shown to give his WNBA bound seniors a lot of exposure, and a lot of UConn's attraction to recruits is the number of players who make WNBA rosters and stay on rosters so Walker and Westbrook may get more than 25/game.

Reaction Score
Geno did say Gabriel runs the floor hard, at her size she should be about to rebound the ball and if she can at least run the floor hard I can’t see why she can’t get some minutes as a rim runner. As far as the starters go I would pick Paige, Westbrook, Williams, Walker, Liv. Mir is my pick as the best rebounder per minute on the team next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the words of Al Pacino, “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.”

While it’s almost never too early to speculate about most anything here on the BY, it really is too early to speculate about next year’s starting 5. The reason is pretty simple. There are up to 14 more games to be played this year (we can only hope). The Huskies have been consistently inconsistent this season.

I personally want to see just how well next year’s 5 returning players perform to close out the regular season, in the conference tournament and at the Big Dance. Of particular interest is how our two freshmen perform in March.

Once we have that information, LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN!!!

Reaction Score
Gabriel will not back up anyone. If she does it will be the greatest leap in skill in UConn history. By her third year she may be a starter. I hope so. UConn has missed having size down low for a several years (ONO is tall and long but has no size and it's looks like DeBerry is the same type)
Williams has struggled this year. She has been asked to take on responsibilities usually assigned to an upperclassman and it has taken away from her offense. Last year she used her ability to create her own shot and that was about all she had to do. This year she has had to guard better players (with mixed results) and she has had to rebound more instead of releasing down court like last season. I see it more likely that she starts than Westbrook. I think we will see a big improvement from Makurat. I like her court awareness. She is a great shooter who has the height to shoot over defenders. Both she and Griffin will be big contributors next year.
I don't see anyone other than ONO playing 30 min/game. Of course several will in big games but the rotation will be the 5 returnees, Westbrook & Bueckers. 200/7 is 28.5 and with McClean and Edwards sharing 15 minutes that number drops to 26.5, a reasonable number.
My starting 5 is ONO, Walker, Westbrook, Williams and Makurat. There is no true pg in that group but several who can handle the ball and pass and UConn's motion offense doesn't revolve around one player handling the ball much or much dribbling so it can work well.
I think that by New Years it will be apparent that Bueckers is the best player on the team. I looked up Taurasi's freshman minutes and she averaged 24 or 25/game. That team was loaded so maybe Bueckers will get more but no matter how great she is Bueckers will be getting ganged around and I'm sure Geno will want her in April.
Where I may be wrong? The minutes of McClean and Edwards, who may surprise and get more. But if history is a guide they will not be ready. Edwards may be forced to play more as she is the likely player to back up ONO. And Gabriel may surprise.
Geno has shown to give his WNBA bound seniors a lot of exposure, and a lot of UConn's attraction to recruits is the number of players who make WNBA rosters and stay on rosters so Walker and Westbrook may get more than 25/game.
I don't believe Gabriel and McLean will surprise you. They'll be fortunate to get Adebayo and Camara minutes. And I believe Edwards will get similar minutes to what Griffin got this year. Some games more than others because she's the only one with size to help ONO and Griffin on the boards and she can finish on offense.

Reaction Score
If you think Geno is going to bench a two year starter for a freshman, I have some oceanfront property in Kansas I'd like to talk to you about.
Well I like to see next year's super bowl be playing in Kansas ...;)

Reaction Score
Of course @oldude is right, there is plenty of time during the off season to speculate. What got me (prematurely) thinking about next year stemmed from the conversation on Anna and Griff as the fifth starter this year. I have my doubts that either over the remainder of this year will clearly separate from the other. They both have terrific up sides, albeit with different skill sets. Both have a lot of room to improve. Assuming then that what we see in them now is about what they will be when this year ends, and also assuming they will both be very much better by the time they get into the meat of next year's schedule, the thought occurred as to how they would fit into next years team; will one or both of them be able to start next year? And so down the rat hole;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not going to happen. Both Meg and CW WILL start next year. The real battle will be at the 4. My hope is that Edwards is such an energy force that she sets the house afire. That said, AG probably wins that race with Edwards and Ania behind them. Ania will probably back up both CW and Evina with Paige pushing for either guard spot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn't this fun. This is exacctly what makes the Boneyard so enjoyable. Everyone wants to get to the same location but it seems like we all have a different route. I guarantee you that if Elvira Higgenbottom from Tyrone high school in Tyrone, Pa. declared that she would be attending Uconn the next day someone in the Boneyard would have her in the starting lineup. I'm just not sure Geno is going to listen to any of us.

Reaction Score
Evina, Paige, Aubrey, Liv and Walker. Reserves Chrystin, Nika, Gabriel, Makurat and names that I do not know yet.

Reaction Score

the best I can say is that you're a year ahead of yourself...........,..only ONO and Paige will be likely starters next season along with MW, CW and EW...............AG, AM and AE will be first off the bench and should play solid minutes....................this is the most quality depth Geno has had to work with in quite some time and I certainly hope he takes advantage of it.........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom