Starting Five for 20-21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting Five for 20-21

Reaction Score
I don't see Sanogo being third string. He didn't reclass and pick us over other schools that needed centers to do that.
i don't think Brown saw himself as 4th string and probably having to redshirt when he could have gone to Kansas either.

the only way for Sanogo not to be 3rd string is with Whaley as the starting PF and Carlton as the starting C, but that would push Martin down to SF and make Jackson the 3rd string (yet another reason Bouk should start at SG not SF). so either way one of the freshman is going to be 3rd string.

if AJ is 3rd string SF behind Polley and Martin he wouldnt get any PT but Sanogo could still get ~10 mpg as 3rd string C b/c i don't think Carlton will play that much more than him.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
i don't think Brown saw himself as 4th string and probably having to redshirt when he could have gone to Kansas either.

the only way for Sanogo not to be 3rd string is with Whaley as the starting PF and Carlton as the starting C, but that would push Martin down to SF and make Jackson the 3rd string (yet another reason Bouk should start at SG not SF). so either way one of the freshman is going to be 3rd string.

if AJ is 3rd string SF behind Polley and Martin he wouldnt get any PT. but Sanogo could still get ~10 mpg as 3rd string C b/c i don't think Carlton will play that much more than him.
I think it's more likely carlton is third string.

Reaction Score
I think it's more likely carlton is third string.
josh is a healthy 245 now which is only 10 lbs heavier than he was as a sophomore when he was one of the best player on the team. if he can play more like he did as a sophomore then i'm not penciling sanogo in ahead of him on the depth chart quite yet

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
josh is a healthy 245 now which is only 10 lbs heavier than he was as a sophomore when he was the best player on the team. if he can play more like he did as a sophomore then i'm not penciling sanogo in ahead of him on the depth chart quite yet
Did you just say he was better than Adams?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
agreed- we lack PG depth and gaffney starting creates an even bigger log jam at wing/forward. Adams is also not going to be the 3rd string SG/SF when Hurley says he's competing for a starting spot. this team's best qualities are its size and athleticism (where Gaffney is below average relative to the roster).

Cole- Gaffney
Bouk-Adams
Polley-Jackson
Martin-Springs-Akok*
Whaley-Carlton-Sanogo

RS-Brown

-Martin is a much better rebounder than Polley, who Hurley described as a guard, so Martin is the small ball stretch 4.
-Akok starts at PF if/when he's back to 100%
I think Polley/Jackson/Martin get 25 Min each at the 3/4.

Reaction Score
I think Polley/Jackson/Martin get 25 Min each at the 3/4.

I think a 25 mpg average is probably too high for those guys. If they're each getting 25 mpg, that would have to mean Bouk is getting at least 30. Add in Cole, who would probably be about 25 mpg guy, and you're already at 130 out of 200 total minutes, without even getting to the bigs or the other two guards (Gaffney and Adams).

My rough initial sketch without adding anything up was this...

Cole - 25
Bouk - 28
Gaffney - 20
Adams - 15
Jackson - 20
Martin - 20
Polley - 20
Whaley - 25
Carlton - 15
Sanogo - 20
Springs - 10
Brown - 5

This is 223 total...so I'd have to find a way to reduce this by 23 minutes. 75 minutes between the 5 "bigs" may be too much as it would only allow for 5 minutes of "small ball" with one of Martin/Polley/Jackson as the 4. Let's try this...

Cole - 25
Bouk - 28
Gaffney - 17
Adams - 12
Jackson - 20
Martin - 20
Polley - 18
Whaley - 20
Carlton - 12
Sanogo - 18
Springs - 7
Brown - 3

That's an even 200, but some of these numbers certainly seem low. This obviously doesn't even figure in Akok, who could be back in January. Again, going to be quite the challenge for Hurley to juggle the possible lineups and keep everyone engaged, competitive, and happy. Definitely one of the deeper rosters I can remember in recent history. Fired up for the season!

Reaction Score
My two cents.. You guys have taken a deeper dive into the roster than most.. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict the following.... The starting line up in Game1 will be different than the starting line up the last game of the regular season.. Will be interesting to see who emerges once practice begins in a few days

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Cole-Gaffney/Adams
Bouk-Jackson/Adams
Polley-Martin/Jackson
Whaley-Javonte Brown Ferguson/Martin/Springs
Carlton-Sanogo/Javonte Brown Ferguson/Springs

Once Akok is cleared I’d slide Whaley to the 5 and Carlton behind them.
I would not be shocked if Carlton is an Okwandu/Nolan type of starter who “starts” and plays about 10 minutes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
PG: Cole(20)-Gaff(20)
SG: Bouk(30)-Adams(10)
SF: Martin(20)-Jackson n Polley(10)
PF: Whaley(25)-Polley(15)
C: Carlton(15)-Sanogo(20)-IW(5)

I think this is my new lineup prediction. Mins at the 3/4 are flexible.

Reaction Score
PG: Cole(20)-Gaff(20)
SG: Bouk(30)-Adams(10)
SF: Martin(20)-Jackson n Polley(10)
PF: Whaley(25)-Polley(15)
C: Carlton(15)-Sanogo(20)-IW(5)

I think this is my new lineup prediction. Mins at the 3/4 are flexible.
Springs? Brown?

Reaction Score
Brown isn't playing in non blowouts. Springs will take 5-10 min if we want to stay big when Whaley comes out.
I just think that, barring injury, Springs will have more impact than Carlton and Sanogo this season. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
There’s no way on God’s green earth that nearly 7’ senior Carlton is not starting. What drugs are people on? Playing time based on performance is harder to predict. He may lose some if he doesn’t bring it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom