Starters | The Boneyard

Starters

Reaction Score
The starters may not matter in exhibitions, but they also don't actually count that much in the regular season. For Coach Geno, the question is whom he can put on the floor together when it counts.

Seems clear from last night that the starters who count include Azura, KLS, Kia, Napheesa, and Gabby. Crystal gets time. And that appears at this point to be the six players Coach Geno can count on. Don't know what Camara is capable of doing when she's healthy, which might be weeks in the future. But the four freshmen did not impress last night. Will they bloom over time? Sure. But will they become major contributors as freshmen, as did Tiffany Hayes and Caroline Doty? Last night cast doubt on that.

We'll see.....

Could be a season of the Big Four plus Azura.

Reaction Score
The starters may not matter in exhibitions, but they also don't actually count that much in the regular season. For Coach Geno, the question is whom he can put on the floor together when it counts.

Seems clear from last night that the starters who count include Azura, KLS, Kia, Napheesa, and Gabby. Crystal gets time. And that appears at this point to be the six players Coach Geno can count on. Don't know what Camara is capable of doing when she's healthy, which might be weeks in the future. But the four freshmen did not impress last night. Will they bloom over time? Sure. But will they become major contributors as freshmen, as did Tiffany Hayes and Caroline Doty? Last night cast doubt on that.

We'll see.....

Could be a season of the Big Four plus Azura.

I thought Walker played well last night. She did not dominate the game, but she did do a little bit of everything in terms of passing, scoring, rebounding, and defending. There is NO doubt that she will be in the regular rotation this year. Honestly, if we need any of the other freshman to be "major contributors" this year, then something went terribly wrong.

Once healthy, I think Camara will also be able to hold her own and give the starters a breather. An eight man rotation of the starters plus Stevens, Walker, and Camara is what we will see in most tough games.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I thought Walker played well last night. She did not dominate the game, but she did do a little bit of everything in terms of passing, scoring, rebounding, and defending. There is NO doubt that she will be in the regular rotation this year. Honestly, if we need any of the other freshman to be "major contributors" this year, then something went terribly wrong.

Once healthy, I think Camara will also be able to hold her own and give the starters a breather. An eight man rotation of the starters plus Stevens, Walker, and Camara is what we will see in most tough games.
She impressed me as well.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Don't be surprised if Coombs works her way into that list by January. She's fit, athletic, smooth, and has good instincts. Right now she's tentative, just like most all freshmen, but once the light bulb goes on, look for her to be a contributor. Just my opinion of course, but I think she's going to be special too...

Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if Coombs works her way into that list by January. She's fit, athletic, smooth, and has good instincts. Right now she's tentative, just like most all freshmen, but once the light bulb goes on, look for her to be a contributor. Just my opinion of course, but I think she's going to be special too...
Uconn has had a number of terrific players that needed the LIGHT to come on that's true. But the really really outstanding became great starting as frosh: DT, Maya, Stew (took her most of the year) a few others also. Rene Montgomery to me was one who was great from the git go but never achieved the notoriety of the 3 mentioned.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Uconn has had a number of terrific players that needed the LIGHT to come on that's true. But the really really outstanding became great starting as frosh: DT, Maya, Stew (took her most of the year) a few others also. Rene Montgomery to me was one who was great from the git go but never achieved the notoriety of the 3 mentioned.
I just looked it up and found that Stewie had 14 starts, way more that I thought. Injuries may have been a factor. Both Diana and Maya moved into the staring lineup after injuries beset the team (Sveta and Kalana). Others started as freshmen, because they were the best options at the position. These included Tina, Renee, Bria, and Stefanie. All became 2x All-Americans. When Renee arrived on campus, Geno said she walked around as if she owned the place. Confidence!

Reaction Score
I just looked it up and found that Stewie had 14 starts, way more that I thought. Injuries may have been a factor. Both Diana and Maya moved into the staring lineup after injuries beset the team (Sveta and Kalana). Others started as freshmen, because they were the best options at the position. These included Tina, Renee, Bria, and Stefanie. All became 2x All-Americans. When Renee arrived on campus, Geno said she walked around as if she owned the place. Confidence!

From a CPTV Geno show---the night or two before Maya's first game, first game of the year her freshman year, he spoke about her having confidence none on that team had, lucky me I watched that DVD recently. I have no doubt Rene had confidence: the ONE SINGULAR attribute that Geno admires among many others--Confidence. DT a frosh, and probably the most confident player to wear a Uconn Uniform was a go to player before her freshman year ended--remember the 15 missed shots against ND (their only NC) Tina was a work in progress, and needed nearly 3 years to become almost Tina. Bria was confident no doubt. Stef not so much she too was a work in progress. Proves the greats were great early, those who became late greats--worked to get there. Rene, one of my favorites favorites, was exceptional in many ways. Everyone can run off Stew, DT, Maya--only true Uconn WBB fans (usually) puts Rene in that category where she belongs. KML developed into an all around BB player, was always a 3 ball shooter par excellence. Sveta and Sue got me to move back to Ct --when they went--so did I. (taxes, traffic, also helped me go).

During the off season I watch old games and old CPTV shows of Geno--he was a very funny guy--with a short fuse. Geno loves talented confident players and speaks highly of the early in their careers. Apparently Megan Walker has been anointed--Z is no frosh but even Geno's snipping comments about her are high praise. Unfortunately for me in my zest to clear clutter I dumped about 40 pounds or more of DVD's from early Uconn games /Geno shows. I only have a fraction left.

Reaction Score
Follow up. Stew started the year on fire---she was spoken of everywhere as super great---then Uconn went off shore to play and Stew was bounced around and upon return was bounced by nearly every team--was one of the quickest scorers in her first 8 games--some record or close to it--then folded up her tent and Geno sat her--until near the Tourney--where she became Stewie to ND regret (ND beat them earlier )

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom