Start Whaley | The Boneyard

Start Whaley

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I know, I know. The gut instinct at seeing this title is to scream "NO" and to punch some sense into me through the monitor. Hear me out though. I'm not saying he's better than Carlton or that he should have the lion's share of minutes. However, the energy and enthusiasm with which he plays would be a much better way to set the tone for the game. Let Carlton watch from the bench, get a feel for the opponent, see what the tempo of the game will be, then put him in at the under 16 timeout. He'll be better prepared mentally and more importantly, come into the game wanting it rather than just sleepwalking.

Reaction Score
I just posted in another thread he needs more minutes. But I am on board.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That steal at mid court, 45 foot dribble eurostep and finger roll was something I was not expecting to see from him ever. He was a real contributor his freshman year and Hurley admittedly “forgot” about him last year. Great hustle, great attitude, but still quite limited.
He worked really hard to add to his game this offseason and he’s a much better player.
If he’s going to start he needs to clean up his footwork.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
That steal at mid court, 45 foot dribble eurostep and finger roll was something I was not expecting to see from him ever. He was a real contributor his freshman year and Hurley admittedly “forgot” about him last year. Great hustle, great attitude, but still quite limited.
He worked really hard to add to his game this offseason and he’s a much better player.
If he’s going to start he needs to clean up his footwork.

Agree on all points. That's why I want him to start, but not play starter's minutes. Sort of like Hilton Armstrong freshman year.

Reaction Score
I commented on the same a month ago. If JI starts and plays backup minutes, JC can see how the game is progressing and get his confidence up when the opposing second teamers are in. JC is also less apt to commit a silly foul in the opening minute when the refs are establishing how the game is to be called.

If JI starts, it is also makes sense to start JB. Without a JC clogging the post, the three guards will have significantly more room to penetrate and finish or kick.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Don't know if he starts but he played his heart out yesterday. I would like to see more of him. You would have though Josh would be better able to handle Durr and the other 5 but he wasn't up to it yesterday for sure

Reaction Score
Either this or let Carlton play and tell him to play as hard and aggressive as he can until he fouls out. Carlton is so far gone mentally right now that he’s either going to have a massive breakthrough soon or he’s ruined for the season.

Reaction Score
I commented on the same a month ago. If JI starts and plays backup minutes, JC can see how the game is progressing and get his confidence up when the opposing second teamers are in. JC is also less apt to commit a silly foul in the opening minute when the refs are establishing how the game is to be called.

If JI starts, it is also makes sense to start JB. Without a JC clogging the post, the three guards will have significantly more room to penetrate and finish or kick.
Who is JI?

Reaction Score
Brendan Adams can start in place of Gilbert whose ball handling and assists are mediocre anyway. You try it and if it doesn’t work what do you lose? I know. The game.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Either this or let Carlton play and tell him to play as hard and aggressive as he can until he fouls out. Carlton is so far gone mentally right now that he’s either going to have a massive breakthrough soon or he’s ruined for the season.

When Hurley pulled Carlton early in the 2nd half and was talking to him on the sideline, Carlton's facial/body language could not have been worse. It was apparent that whatever Hurley was saying, JC didn't want to hear it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The difference between josh and Whaley isn't great enough to completely destroy Josh's confidence by benching him. I would put Whaley in as soon as it's clear Carlton is crapping himself again.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The difference between josh and Whaley isn't great enough to completely destroy Josh's confidence by benching him. I would put Whaley in as soon as it's clear Carlton is crapping himself again.

Trouble is, that's what we've been doing and it hasn't worked. I don't want Carlton glued to the bench, but think in short term, coming off the bench while still playing starter's minutes could be a beneficial situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom