Start of Season Matchups | The Boneyard

Start of Season Matchups

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Looking at the list of games for Friday there are a couple of big match-ups that involve BE teams. Any thoughts on what to expect?

Notre Dame vs. Ohio State
TAMU vs. Louisville

I'm sure excited about the start of the season.

BTW, the Baylor game will be aired on Fox Sports SW at 1:00 p.m., EST, for anyone who wants to get a preview of the team. BU vs. Kentucky will also be shown on ESPN2 on Tuesday, Nov. 13, at 6:00 p.m., EST.

I'm looking forward to seeing UCONN vs. TAMU on ESPN on Sunday, November 18. I will be pulling for UCONN as I can never pull for TAMU.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UConn-A&M will be a tough road environment. However, I think early in the season, they just won't have the chemistry and firepower to hang with Uconn until the end. They do have a number of very, very talented freshmen...but too many of them for an early season matchup with a championship-caliber team.

Louisville-A&M will be fascinating. I am mainly interested in seeing whether Louisville is at all for real this season. If they lose, it may say more about Ville than it does A&M.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Has OSU ever won a big game? I'm sure they have and that was meant to be a tad sarcastic, but I'm not sure I see them beating ND. then again, ND lost a lot last year. i'm not sure who OSU has - will be an interesting game for sure.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Duke and Maryland as well as Kentucky. Actually, any of the preseason top 10-15 teams. It will be fun to see how they stack up against each other... I think most agree that UCONN and Baylor are really a step ahead of everyone else, and I think Duke is a close 3rd. After that it will be great to see how the rest of WCBB stacks up.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Has OSU ever won a big game?

They won a big game against national power Virginia (75–73) to advance to the Final Four in 1993. They then won the semi-final against national power Iowa (then coached by C. Viv) in OT (73–72). They went on to lose a squeaker in the championship to Texas Tech (84–82). The first two qualify as big wins, but I'm guessing you meant lately.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm really looking forward to seeing Duke and Maryland as well as Kentucky. Actually, any of the preseason top 10-15 teams. It will be fun to see how they stack up against each other.. .

Not sure if it fits into the start of the season matchups... but Cal comes to Durham on Dec 2. If the Bears can be competitive or even come out of Cameron with a victory, then perhaps they will be a strong contender for Stanford in the Pac 12.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Triadduke - LOVE the new avatar!

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to Georgia VS Rutgers on Sunday. It's the #1 active winningest coach, CVS against the #3 active winningest coach Landers. CVS is, I believe 15 or 16 wins away from pasting Jody Conradt to slide into the #2 slot on the all-time wins list. :D

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to Georgia VS Rutgers on Sunday. It's the #1 active winningest coach, CVS against the #3 active winningest coach Landers. CVS is, I believe 15 or 16 wins away from pasting Jody Conradt to slide into the #2 slot on the all-time wins list. :D
Um, I don't know if you have your numbers right. CViv is indeed the winningest active coach, but then it goes Hatchell, Vanderveer, Auriemma then Landers.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Um, I don't know if you have your numbers right. CViv is indeed the winningest active coach, but then it goes Hatchell, Vanderveer, Auriemma then Landers.

My bad. I read on Georgia's website that Landers was the 3rd active winningest coach. Oh well thanks!

Georgia will open the campaign with a matchup against perennial national power Rutgers at Stegeman Coliseum on Sunday, Nov. 11 at 2 p.m. The game will pit Landers against C. Vivian Stringer. Stringer and Landers rank No. 1 and No. 3 in career victories among active Division I women's basketball coaches with 885 and 877 wins, respectively.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/081712aaa.html

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Andy had 81 wins with Roane State Community College. That may be the source of the difference, although it is a stretch. One can say Andy is a DI coach with 876 (877?) wins, but one norammly expects the win count to only include DI schools. I'll check into it.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Andy will get his 18 to 23 wins a season just because of Georgia's easy scheduling before SEC conference play and there are enough patsy's in the SEC (like most conferences) to ensure they win approx 20 games each year. However, until Georgia starts to once again recruit the elite players that come out of Georgia, they are a non factor on the National Scene. They'll be ranked, but so what.- IMHO if Georgia is going to be competitive for a National Championship, Andy needs to go. They need to find a young dynamic coach that is able to recruit the elite players in Georgia on a yearly basis. Andy hasn't been able to do that for a number of years.

BTW I realize its hard to replace a Hall-of-Fame-Coach when his teams are reasonably successful. However, IMHO another coach would probably be able to achieve what Andy is accomplishing, thus his achievements are average at best.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
BTW I realize its hard to replace a Hall-of-Fame-Coach when his teams are reasonably successful. However, IMHO another coach would probably be able to achieve what Andy is accomplishing, thus his achievements are average at best.

What an insulting statement. I'm cetainly not an Andy Landers fan, but to state that "another" coach would be able to do what Andy has done and that makes his achievements average is ridiculous.

You said "Andy will get his 18 to 23 wins a season ". Quite the understatement.

In the last 10 years he had ONE season of 18 wins and one season of 27 wins, two of 25, and one of 24. His lowest win total other than the 18 was 21. Sounds like an outlier to me.

For his career, he has had three 30 win seasons, one 29 win season and three 28 win seasons.

In 33 years at Georgia, he has only had 6 seasons under 20 wins. He has a 74.8 winning %. And he is AVERAGING 24 wins a season. Since 1981 he has only missed the NCAA's 2 times and not since 1993-04. Now, he hasn't always done much with the trips to the NCAA but he does have 3 FF's and 5 EE's.

Wow...average?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I guess it's a case of "What have you done for me lately"? I saw Georgia two years ago in the regional in Dallas and they looked like an old-school SEC team. Green Bay was much more exciting to watch, as were Baylor and TAMU. With all the talent in Georgia (and the South in general) they should be an Elite 8 contender every year, IMO. So should Texas.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
In that NCAA final won by Texas Tech over Ohio State Sheryl Swoopes had around 47.
I saw a bit of that game on TV.....the first women's game I had ever seen. Swoopes was something else.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
In that NCAA final won by Texas Tech over Ohio State Sheryl Swoopes had around 47.
I saw a bit of that game on TV.....the first women's game I had ever seen. Swoopes was something else.

Yes, and the 47 points is still a Final Four record for points scored.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
They won a big game against national power Virginia (75–73) to advance to the Final Four in 1993. They then won the semi-final against national power Iowa (then coached by C. Viv) in OT (73–72). They went on to lose a squeaker in the championship to Texas Tech (84–82). The first two qualify as big wins, but I'm guessing you meant lately.
Well, when you have to go back 20 years to find big wins for OSU...
And who was coaching OSU then? I think Tara was at Stanford by then.
Maybe the question to ask is, has Van Foster ever won a big game.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Well, when you have to go back 20 years to find big wins for OSU...
And who was coaching OSU then? I think Tara was at Stanford by then.
Maybe the question to ask is, has Van Foster ever won a big game.

Tara VanDerveer had some very good years at OSU, including an Elite Eight, but she left for Stanford after the 1985 season. Nancy Darsch was the head coach when they came close to an NC. Foster has the best winning record of all the OSU coaches, better than second place VanDerveer, but his teams haven't advanced beyond the Sweet Sixteen.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really interesting to look at that list of coaches.
Geno at 27 years as HC is the youngest by 5 years in the top 10, and the only coach in the top 24 with fewer than 30 years experience.
On the Landers discussion - I don't think anyone disputes his consistent career (similar to Foster.) The issue is whether at this time, he is recruiting and coaching well enough to move beyond middle of the pack status. If the aim is to be a final four team and to have a shot at an NC, you need to be at least in the consistent running for the top HS kids. That can be tough if you are coaching in ME or WA or SD or ... where the local talent is not that great. But to be in a region with great HS talent and not consistently be in the final couple of schools for that talent (even if you do not sign them) suggests that something in your program is not appealing to that top talent. It may be the school admin, or the facilities, or the particular city, but generally people look to the coach to overcome the outside issues and land the talent.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
At a school like Georgia, football is probably all that matters. Having a perennial NCAA tourney team in WCBB is gravy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tara VanDerveer had some very good years at OSU, including an Elite Eight, but she left for Stanford after the 1985 season. Nancy Darsch was the head coach when they came close to an NC. Foster has the best winning record of all the OSU coaches, better than second place VanDerveer, but his teams haven't advanced beyond the Sweet Sixteen.
ever? not once has he made it past the sweet 16? good grief. has OSU ever been a 1 seed? I know they have been a 2 and 3 seed a bunch of times...

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Nope. Two Elite Eights and one Final Four with Vandy, but nothing past Sweet Sixteen at OSU.

Reaction Score
ever? not once has he made it past the sweet 16? good grief. has OSU ever been a 1 seed? I know they have been a 2 and 3 seed a bunch of times...

Believe OSU was a 1 seed in 2006 and lost in the 2nd round. If memory serves me it was to Boston College.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom