Start Hopkins and bring in Newsome? | The Boneyard

Start Hopkins and bring in Newsome?

Reaction Score
That's the way it usually works best. You start with the big back and then bring in the smaller, quicker guy. Bang 'em with the big guy, try to beat 'em up a little. It softens a defense.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
No.

I've seen 3 years of productivity from Newsome and one half from Hopkins.

Newsome is a senior, he deserves to start but Hopkins deserves some first quarter touches as well.

So, Newsome starts and if he isn't instantly productive, Hopkins gets some touches.

Reaction Score
Hopkins runs like Jordan Howard of the Chicago Bears. They have a change of pace back with great hands and acceleration, Tarik Cohen., which is definitely more of Newsome's game vs being a true feature back. I'd imagine They will both touch the ball a minimum of 10 times a game, with more touches going to the hot hand. Newsome is our best overall RB, but Hopkins is definitely the real deal. He was our best runner last year, as well.

Overall, I don't think it matters who starts. Both will be involved plenty.

Reaction Score
Honestly I think it would be a super cool wrinkle if they brought in a two-back set with Hopkins and Newsome on each tackle

Could involve some great motion, misdirection and deception, and Arkeel can get out in space

Reaction Score
No.

Newsome is a senior, he deserves to start but Hopkins deserves some first quarter touches as well.

So, Newsome starts and if he isn't instantly productive, Hopkins gets some touches.

I've only seen one year of productivity from him.

Reaction Score
Barring an injury not disclosed, Starting Newsome would just be wasted downs at this point. If he couldn't separate against Holy Cross... There's not much else to say. He's effective on the swing pass in the flat. Not much else based on game 1 vs a non P5/6 team. He was not impressive.

Reaction Score
No.

Don't believe he has rushed for 1,000 yards in a year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Newsome should start. I think Lashlee will figure out which plays he's more effective running, and others will go to Hopkins. I think it's foolish to believe that Arkeel can't succeed in this offense.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter who starts. Whoever is producing (whether that be rushing, receiving, or blocking) should get more touches.

Reaction Score
Unlike the previous moron head coach, this staff will find a way to maximize the abilities of both backs. So, you might see them both on the field at the same time for a few plays. Even when things stalled against HC, it was impressive to see the different guys who got to tote the rock. Really liked the way Dixon was used. He is definitely a threat.

Reaction Score
Newsome is from Ansonia. Therefore by boneyard rules he should start. In real life he is what he has always been. A change of pace back wo is best getting the ball in space on screens and short stuff out of the backfield. He isn't and has never been a banger between the tackles. Fine player but has been asked to do things he isn't up to doing on a regular basis. Used properly he is a dangerous weapon as he showed on the swing pass in the Holy Cross game. Try to bang with him and it isn't going to be effective most of the time.

Reaction Score
Arkeel played poorly last game. The fact he is a senior and/or was serviceable in a prolifically under performing offense for the past 3 years means little. You start the guy who gives you the best chance to move the ball and score. Agree with last comment. Ideally, they use Arkeel out in space and not as the work horse. He simply lacks the vision and ability to make his own holes inside. Getting him the ball in short pass and screen scenarios would optimize his talents. I'd like to see them both on the field in some 2 back sets on occasion with play action and some option reads ...relatively optimistic that our OC will cook up some good stuff.

Reaction Score
I think you can use them interchangeably. Hopkins is a banger so if he is in the backfield, the defense doesn't know if it'll be an inside run, off tackle or if he's going to be extra pass blocking and then checking to the flat. With Newsome in, you don't know if he's going off tackle or after watching the HC game, setting up a screen or running underneath routes on a pass. We saw repeatedly that they'll send Newsome inside too. I think they are a dynamic couple and provide a good 1-2 punch. Shouldn't be an either or, but a both.

Reaction Score
I think you can use them interchangeably. Hopkins is a banger so if he is in the backfield, the defense doesn't know if it'll be an inside run, off tackle or if he's going to be extra pass blocking and then checking to the flat. With Newsome in, you don't know if he's going off tackle or after watching the HC game, setting up a screen or running underneath routes on a pass. We saw repeatedly that they'll send Newsome inside too. I think they are a dynamic couple and provide a good 1-2 punch. Shouldn't be an either or, but a both.
Hopkins has potential to be what we hoped Ron Johnson would turn out to be after his freshman year with Arkeel. They seem to compliment each other well and I'm confident the staff will find was to use both effectively.

Reaction Score
I don't believe Walter Payton would have either behind our line. Means nothing.

Means everything....we are stuck with our current Oline

One couldn't gain 2 inches and one ran for 130 yards....case closed

Reaction Score
Tale of 2 Halfs and I'm not sure how much was OL adjustments or Coaching or BS coming in. Don't care who starts as long as they get the plays and matchups they want. And some blocking.

I really think the D is going to crush Virginia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom