Star Trek II - Into the Darkness | The Boneyard

Star Trek II - Into the Darkness

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am going to give some minor spoilers. If you haven't seen the movie and want to, don't read this thread.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think The Wrath of Khan is one of the 5 best science fiction movies ever made. They had ironed out a lot of the campiness of the original TV series, and it was the beginning of the age of real special effects, which made science fiction possible. The plot was great, and smart. Each twist was both a surprise and made sense. All the characters made the best rational decision they were capable of in each situation, which is important in a movie like this. There were larger themes about how far to take technology (Genesis as both a giver of life and a doomsday weapon). And a cheesy, B-level TV actor was brilliant as the villain.

Why remake that movie, even if you are going to go in a different direction? I would say I actually like the new Star Treks as action movies, and they check all the boxes I like about depth of secondary characters, interesting plot, and excitement. Maybe my problem is the willingness to trade storytelling for body counts, but this movie is forgettable. I don't remember the plot of the first "new" Star Trek, and I am fairly certain I will have forgotten what the plot of this movie was by Christmas. There is nothing particularly interesting or original about anything that happened. Overall, it was a good movie, but nowhere near the original.

Reaction Score
In this movie, I thought for a second that Khan would end up as kind of an antihero and another more dangerous villain would be revealed. That would have been a cool twist.

Uhuru and Spock having a D and M on the descent to that planet? That was too much.

Agree that the Wrath of Khan is an all time great.

Reaction Score
I did not realize this was a remake, I shut the movie off after 20 minutes, had I known, I may have watched. Loved Ricardo montoban in wrath of khan, great movie and he played one of the best Villan Roles ever, that's including Bond villans

Reaction Score
I did not realize this was a remake, I shut the movie off after 20 minutes, had I known, I may have watched. Loved Ricardo montoban in wrath of khan, great movie and he played one of the best Villan Roles ever, that's including Bond villans

It's not a true remake. They are just following some aspects of the old Star Trek movies in this alternate universe.

I liked the original better simply because it didn't really have a happy ending.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
First 80% was pretty good. Then some over-sentimental suit took a giant dump.all over it. I see it as a missed opportunity to have remade Khan a la the Joker in the Dark Knight.

Reaction Score
First 80% was pretty good. Then some over-sentimental suit took a giant dump.all over it. I see it as a missed opportunity to have remade Khan a la the Joker in the Dark Knight.

Agree completely.

Reaction Score
I think The Wrath of Khan is one of the 5 best science fiction movies ever made. They had ironed out a lot of the campiness of the original TV series, and it was the beginning of the age of real special effects, which made science fiction possible.

I think Star Wars: A New Hope and the Empire Strikes Back have to be thanked for this, not Wrath of Kahn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Star Wars: A New Hope and the Empire Strikes Back have to be thanked for this, not Wrath of Kahn.

That was what you took out of my post? By "it was the beginning of the age of real special effects", I meant that time period, which everyone else who read this post managed to understand without a "gotcha". My sincere apologies for the use of the indefinite pronoun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom