Stanley on Allisha Gray | The Boneyard

Stanley on Allisha Gray

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Trying to read between the lines it sounds like Gray's status for the tournament is up in the air.

"Gray was walking without assistance at a pep rally just before the show."

Big difference between walking without assistance and playing basketball. If she can't go, South Carolina's chances of a FF appearance are slim.

Staley on Gray: ‘Looking for her not to miss any action’

Reaction Score
Trying to read between the lines it sounds like Gray's status for the tournament is up in the air.

Big difference between walking without assistance and playing basketball. If she can't go, South Carolina's chances of a FF appearance are slim.

Staley on Gray: ‘Looking for her not to miss any action’[/QUOTE
Gray was moving around the pep rally in her normal way. She did not have any aids and was up and down with the other players during the event. Most of the girls have afternoon classes, thus only four girls were there. Me thinks if she was really bad off it would have been a perfect time to rest her as all of the team was not there, but there she was moving around and having fun. Dawn confirmed later on her call in show, after being asked by the host that she would play and would not miss any game action.

Reaction Score
I would be amazed if we heard anything regarding Gray's status until game time considering the way Staley and South Carolina chose to handle the Coates situation. I think Staley will force Quinnipiac to game plan for scenarios with and with out Gray playing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Time will tell whether Gray can get back on the court. Having seen her go down with the injury, it's likely something is torn. It may be possible for her to play, but if there is a risk of further injury, she shouldn't even think about it.

Next up for SC is Cinderella Quinipiac, so the Gamecocks may not need to play Gray at all. After that the road gets much tougher.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who think Stayle is being a bit sneaky re: Injuries during this tourney?
IIRC, in 2001 when Sveta and Shea both sustained injuries, UCONN was bumped down from a #1 seed to a # 2 seed. I think that if Coates injury was reported prior to the tournament bracketing, SC would not have ended up with a #1 seed. So, I agree, Staley is sneaky. JMO.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Time will tell whether Gray can get back on the court. Having seen her go down with the injury, it's likely something is torn. It may be possible for her to play, but if there is a risk of further injury, she shouldn't even think about it.

Next up for SC is Cinderella Quinipiac, so the Gamecocks may not need to play Gray at all. After that the road gets much tougher.
I watched the play three or four times and thought it was very strange - not a typical twist/odd bend of the knee at all, and not including undue weight/momentum/strain on the joint - it almost appeared that it happened in the air, because she made no attempt to land properly. I at first thought it might be cramping because she first grabbed at the muscle area of the thigh above the knee, and still think it might be muscular rather than cartilage or tendon damage. If it is muscular, that would explain feeling much better the next morning as well as a muscle relaxant and sleep might relieve most of the trauma.

Reaction Score
They have to have an open practice at the regional.
It would have to be a big ruse for something to be really wrong with Gray considering her appearance at the Rally last night on SCAR campus. She moved around fine and did not have crutches, boot, or any other aid that would suggest she had a serious injury. Even if Staley wanted to be coy, she would not have had her prancing around last night risking further injury to promote a ruse. Gray seemed to be moving fine and joking around with her best bud Wilson. The stage at the rally was elevated and before the event started, she climbed up on the platform twice to take pictures with a few fans. I cannot see a player doing that, even to fool the other teams in the tourney. Rumor was that the hyper-extended the knee on that play and it scared her pretty bad, but she felt much better the next morning, and has been fine since. Time will tell

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
IIRC, in 2001 when Sveta and Shea both sustained injuries, UCONN was bumped down from a #1 seed to a # 2 seed. I think that if Coates injury was reported prior to the tournament bracketing, SC would not have ended up with a #1 seed. So, I agree, Staley is sneaky. JMO.
They had played and won the SEC tournament without Coates while Baylor had played and lost the B12 tournament without Jones so I don't think it would have changed them getting a #1 seed, though it probably would have change the order between them and Baylor. I am pretty sure the injury report was reserved in an attempt to get the OK region as the third #1 and it didn't happen so beyond the final four match-ups it didn't make much difference. Given the distance considerations (which were not enough to get Stanford into the Stockton regional - another inconsistency of the committee) it doesn't look to me that there would have been much change.

And on Shea and Sveta - Sveta had been out half the year so that was a known, and something Uconn had already adjusted for. Still amazing to me that Sveta made AA that year playing in only the first 17 games! Serious respect from voters. And Uconn was a #1 seed in 2001 even after Shea went down in the conference final.

Reaction Score
I could also agree with UcMiami though. I was at the game and when she came down, she pointed muscle part of her leg behind her knee. She did not even point to the knee when Dr. Guy, USC Athletics head surgeon went to check on her. Almost as if she was cramped. I also noticed that when she came back though she had some assistance. she sat down on the bench with the knew bended, and all of our other serious injury players never return to the bench during a game when something occurred. Even those that were not as serious. In press conference, it seemed that someone had already told Dawn that she may be alright because she mentioned that she was already on the mend and they should get her back for the next week. The message was even more assuring the next morning as Dawn tweeted that all of the Gamecock prayers seemed to be answered after Gray's re-evaluation Monday morning. I would hope that all teams would want teams to be at full strength as humanly possible as this tournament reaches its conclusion. (But given some of the comments, that philosophy might not be the opinion some fan bases. Lol..)

Reaction Score
I don't think Dawn is "sneaky" on injuries. I think how she communicates this is consistent with her personality. She's generally slightly reserved and doesn't like getting ahead of herself, putting out stuff that may not be true eventually or which puts her in the center of controversy. When she was in a walking case, everyone had Wilson out for the whole season, yet Dawn quietly said everything was okay, and it was.

I'd rather see it this way than impute something manipulate or sinister to her.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

Perhaps Dawn is a student of Belichick! The Patriots are very adept at being sneaky as regards injury status.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
sharris952 - just a note of caution on injuries, as we have just seen with Turner at ND - there are serious injuries that preclude playing a sport that are neither particularly painful or restrict joint movement in everyday situations. Turner could walk without pain or any obvious limp as she returned to the bench, but is out for the season. I don't think that is the case here, but from outside you just never know.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Dawn is a student of Belichick! The Patriots are very adept at being sneaky as regards injury status.
Only person Belichick was ever accused of doing this for was Tom Brady, who for years was listed as "probable/shoulder". Since his new workout/diet regime, he has no longer been listed that way, and he actually says that now his shoulder is no longer sore after practice. But other teams do this routinely: Seahawks (Richard Sherman) and Steelers (Le'veon Bell) were both whacked recently for hiding key injuries.

What outsiders say about Belichick is the same sort of stuff that WCBB fans say about Geno: just read their blogs.

Reaction Score
sharris952 - just a note of caution on injuries, as we have just seen with Turner at ND - there are serious injuries that preclude playing a sport that are neither particularly painful or restrict joint movement in everyday situations. Turner could walk without pain or any obvious limp as she returned to the bench, but is out for the season. I don't think that is the case here, but from outside you just never know.
I understand. I coached women's basketball for 10 years earlier in life. I am aware of that. I stated those facts because in the arena and after looking at it a few times, it seem here concern was more with the back of her leg than her knee. Also walking and standing is one thing. Climbing up on a slightly elevated stage when you have a serious injury when there was no need to do so, would be irresponsible at the least if you had a serious injury. As with Coates, normally when we have an athlete that is injured they are not at event if it was not necessary and they take every precaution to have aid. Her actions and presence at the pep rally yesterday, in addition to Dawn's statement later that night that she would not miss any game time, were more telling than her being on the bench at the end of the game.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Only person Belichick was ever accused of doing this for was Tom Brady, who for years was listed as "probable/shoulder". Since his new workout/diet regime, he has no longer been listed that way, and he actually says that now his shoulder is no longer sore after practice. But other teams do this routinely: Seahawks (Richard Sherman) and Steelers (Le'veon Bell) were both whacked recently for hiding key injuries.

What outsiders say about Belichick is the same sort of stuff that WCBB fans say about Geno: just read their blogs.

Not according to the Wall Street Journal: The Patriots’ Injury List Is Highly ‘Questionable’

I pulled this report off a secondary site since you need a subscription to directly access WSJ original articles

There are other news articles out there was well, including ones that quote former Patriots' players.

BTW, I don't hold this against Belichick - I think it's a smart thing to do, and I suspect every other team does this to some extent. I also believe that whatever the Patriots do, they do it better than the competition.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Hey Oldude, I have tremendous respect for you however Don't be underselling our CT brethren...:mad: :)

Reaction Score

I am sorry but this is simply not true. There have been several allegations by former players that Belichick falsified the injury report.

Spikes, Talib say Patriots file false injury reports

Reaction Score
Spikes and Talib? Oh please...do you know anything about their characters? Plus, they had a vested interest in appearing completely healthy for free agency, etc.

But okay, I concede that the Patriots have done this, although the Brady issue was legit. Just that other teams do it, too, clearly. But Belichick, like Geno, always draws the fire, 'cause no one likely someone who shows them up.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

And it was possible for Coates to play on that ankle, right up to the time that it became impossible.

Reaction Score

Staley on Gray: ‘Looking for her not to miss any action’

I really like what Quinnipiac has done this tournament and take nothing away from them but I honestly think that South Carolina can/would/will win this game without Gray. I wouldn't rush back Gray for this game and hopefully play the next game. Staley should use the example of Coates' injury on why you should make sure a player is fully healthy before playing.

On the other hand, Grayou can be healthier than what is being said but SC is not saying anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom