Stanley Cup | The Boneyard

Stanley Cup

Reaction Score
Was rooting for Edmonton because Canada never wins anymore but happy for Paul Maurice. I remember him as the 28 year old head coach of the Whalers, happy for him. Man I miss the Whale.

Has there ever been a head coach in a major sport as young as Maurice was?

Reaction Score
Was rooting for Edmonton because Canada never wins anymore but happy for Paul Maurice. I remember him as the 28 year old head coach of the Whalers, happy for him. Man I miss the Whale.

I think Sean Mcvay was like 32. edit: he was 30

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gary Green was only 26 when he became HC of the Caps.
Lou Boudreau was 24 or 25 when he became player-manager of the Indians.

Really wanted to see McDavid go nuts tonight. The Stanley Cup should not reside in Florida.

Surprised McDavid won the Conn Smythe, although he's the fifth to do it on a losing team.

Reaction Score

I’m happy for Maurice as well. I wonder what would have happened to him in Miami if The Oilers won after Panthers were on verge of sweep.

Nice to see Ray Ferraro on broadcast too. I still follow the NHL but only minor interest in Florida teams. I miss the passion of being a Whaler fan.

Reaction Score

Really wanted to see McDavid go nuts tonight. The Stanley Cup should not reside in Florida.

Surprised McDavid won the Conn Smythe, although he's the fifth to do it on a losing team.
I was surprised about McDavid as he had no points in the last two games. But he had two straight games with four points.

Reaction Score
Pulling for Edmonton as well for nostalgic reasons. Hockey is weird. Played off losing team gets MVP? A penalty gets extended to 5 minutes if blood is drawn?

If you enjoy pure freneticism and adrenaline, hockey is your thing. If you enjoy watching tangible possessions, clear play design and a clear separation of skill by a unique athlete, it’s not. It’s just chaos out there and a little block of rubber that’s hard to follow trying to find its way through massive dudes. Art it is not.

Reaction Score
Back in the day the NBA had a number of player coaches. Had to look it up but Dave DeBusschere was coaching the Pistons at 24. Coached for 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
Pulling for Edmonton as well for nostalgic reasons. Hockey is weird. Played off losing team gets MVP? A penalty gets extended to 5 minutes if blood is drawn?

If you enjoy pure freneticism and adrenaline, hockey is your thing. If you enjoy watching tangible possessions, clear play design and a clear separation of skill by a unique athlete, it’s not. It’s just chaos out there and a little block of rubber that’s hard to follow trying to find its way through massive dudes. Art it is not.
you're very much selling hockey short in your last paragraph.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

We in Florida love that the cup has resided here several times!!

Reaction Score
you're very much selling hockey short in your last paragraph.
I’ve been told, and I keep trying. I never played, so maybe don’t know the nuances enough to appreciate the game within the game. But I’m also the standard, and I get why the sport doesn’t take to the masses a whole (viewership). It’s just a messy crazy looking sport. Need a new camera angle for TV.

Reaction Score
Seems like the game last night came down to WILL in the 3rd period and FL as a team, especially the goalie were just not going to let the puck into the net. There were 2-3 scrambles where defenders hit bodies and sticks with 2nd & 3rd efforts to prevent a deflection from going in. I too was hoping McDavid could take over, he tried but they were denied by a committed group and then ran out of gas.

Similar to NBA finals in that the group that lost before had the greater focus & resolve.

Reaction Score
is there a big cross-state rivalry between the two clubs, or has that not developed?
It exists, and this year with the Panthers knocking Tampa out of the playoffs and then winning the cup really ramped it up.

Reaction Score
What is it with the Panthers fans having a chant during the National Anthem? You know that many in those Florida crowds lost their ish when certain individuals kneeled silently for the anthem to promote social progress; what’s the deal with their interrupting the anthem with whatever nonsense they chant?

Reaction Score

Like, that's your opinion man

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What is it with the Panthers fans having a chant during the National Anthem? You know that many in those Florida crowds lost their ish when certain individuals kneeled silently for the anthem to promote social progress; what’s the deal with their interrupting the anthem with whatever nonsense they chant?
Apparently team management encourages it. Couple years ago when the jumbotron scrolled the lyrics, 'red' was in boldface for fans to yell in support of the new red color scheme. And they now yell "night" for Spencer Knight.

Don't know if you can really call it disrespectful as the fans are supposed singing the anthem anyway. Distasteful? I wouldn't have proposed it if I were in marketing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Was rooting for Edmonton because of that, and because McDavid is just so good, but mostly because the Florida Panthers are the nastiest, dirtiest team in professional sports. They're a disgrace to a sport that spent decades trying to emphasize skill and athleticism and erase the barroom brawl style that often dominated in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Was rooting for Edmonton because of that, and because McDavid is just so good, but mostly because the Florida Panthers are the nastiest, dirtiest team in professional sports. They're a disgrace to a sport that spent decades trying to emphasize skill and athleticism and erase the barroom brawl style that often dominated in the playoffs.

A bit strong, I think. They play a heavy game and your head is on a swivel when guys like Sam Bennett are on the ice but that's never going to be completely eliminated from the game - nor should it be, in my opinion - and you need to play that way to win in the post-season. They were the best team in the league this year and a deserved champ. As a Bruins fan it was remarkable how overmatched they seemed to be.

I was rooting for Edmonton but was honestly pretty shocked they managed to push it to seven. Florida is just really good. Edmonton shouldn't be going away any time soon though.

Reaction Score
1000003112.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Those guys can really skate fast. I think hockey loses some of that on TV.

Reaction Score

He's a great story. A lot of people really questioned his hiring. The Panthers were building a real good team, and had Joel Quenville as the coach. They had to part ways with him because of events that happened while he was with Chicago. Under the interim coach they won the President's trophy, only to get bounced out by Tampa. They played an incredibly wide open style, but really lacked toughness and it showed in the playoffs. So they hired Maurice, moved some roster pieces around, and here they are. He totally changed how they play, and ended up being exactly the right guy for the job.

Anyway, that was a long read, but his story is worth knowing, I think.

Reaction Score
How can it be that Canada has had a 32yr drought. That can't be helping the sports popularity if its hopeless where its most popular. Is there a reason that the various teams in Canada aren't competitive?

Reaction Score
How can it be that Canada has had a 32yr drought. That can't be helping the sports popularity if its hopeless where its most popular. Is there a reason that the various teams in Canada aren't competitive?
Part of it is that there aren't that many of them anymore. I think it is like 25 to 7 in terms of US franchises vs Canadian franchises.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom