Stanford vs Ohio State vs UConn | The Boneyard

Stanford vs Ohio State vs UConn

Reaction Score
Stanford looked good, shows how UConn will need to utilize quality bench, and did better against Ohio State than UConn, easily winning 71-52. Still, if Ohio State hadn’t missed 80% of open threes and several easy layups...not that Stanford was much better on more tries from deep.

Reaction Score
It's okay though, because UConn would miss the same number of bunnies against Stanford given their normal day. Even with Cal Baptist going off for a scorching 17-40 against Stanford in Victoria, teams are shooting a frosty 27% from deep against Stanford this season. There's some great defense being played by Stanford this year as well.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Stanford looked good, shows how UConn will need to utilize quality bench, and did better against Ohio State than UConn, easily winning 71-52. Still, if Ohio State hadn’t missed 80% of open threes and several easy layups...not that Stanford was much better on more tries from deep.
I wonder what the outcome would have been if roles were reversed. That is, if Stanford had played them in Columbus and UConn played this young team in Storrs.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I wonder what the outcome would have been if roles were reversed. That is, If Stanford had played in them Columbus and UConn played this young team in Storrs.
Stanford was also missing three of its players who were starters for most of last season: Carrington, Dodson, and Lacie Hull (plus Alanna Smith, who graduated). Imagine if UConn had to play tOSU without Williams, ONO, and Griffin. Given our injury situation and the fact that our frosh played 78 total minutes (basically 2 full players' worth), I'll take a comfortable 20-point win against the team that just beat Louisville.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's okay though, because UConn would miss the same number of bunnies against Stanford given their normal day. Even with Cal Baptist going off for a scorching 17-40 against Stanford in Victoria, teams are shooting a frosty 27% from deep against Stanford this season. There's some great defense being played by Stanford this year as well.
There was great defense by Stanford but not from distance there were a dozen very open threes Ohio State missed. It was poor shooting, not great defense, beyond the arc. Of course, given their accuracy Stanford probably was willing to let them take threes. And while they were missing three players, Stanford has a deep quality bench. I believe they said 11 players are averaging more than ten minutes this season. That’s why I am looking forward to a stocked and stacked UConn 2020-21 team.

Reaction Score
Stanford was also missing three of its players who were starters for most of last season: Carrington, Dodson, and Lacie Hull (plus Alanna Smith, who graduated). Imagine if UConn had to play tOSU without Williams, ONO, and Griffin. Given our injury situation and the fact that our frosh played 78 total minutes (basically 2 full players' worth), I'll take a comfortable 20-point win against the team that just beat Louisville.

Not to nit pick, you talking about L. Hull that started and played 30 minutes in this game? Why talk about players lost from last year and players that graduated? Dodson and Alanna Smith had nothing to do for this current team that are currently sitting in the #1 rank?

FYI, UConn did play without ONO (6 pts), Griffin (2 pts) and Makurat (0 pts)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not to nit pick, you talking about L. Hull that started and played 30 minutes in this game? Why talk about players lost from last year and players that graduated? Dodson and Alanna Smith had nothing to do for this current team that are currently sitting in the #1 rank?

FYI, UConn did play without ONO (6 pts), Griffin (2 pts) and Makurat (0 pts)
I think @TheFarmFan made his point. Carrington, Lacie Hull, and Dodson are all experienced players that did not play, and are currently on the team. Carrington and Dodson were starters, and Lacie Hull is 6th or 7th in the rotation. Stanford would not have had as many turnovers in the game with these 3 players in the rotation. Nevertheless, Stanford still wins by a large margin. Let's call it like it is, Stanford is a solid team, with a deep bench, and looking solid for years to come.

Reaction Score
I think @TheFarmFan made his point. Carrington, Lacie Hull, and Dodson are all experienced players that did not play, and are currently on the team. Carrington and Dodson were starters, and Lacie Hull is 6th or 7th in the rotation. Stanford would not have had as many turnovers in the game with these 3 players in the rotation. Nevertheless, Stanford still wins by a large margin. Let's call it like it is, Stanford is a solid team, with a deep bench, and looking solid for years to come.

You his mind translator? Sorry I'm totally lost now with your input...but that's my problem. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
They played Ohio State at home. Ohio State plays better and much harder at home. UConn played them 2 games into the season. Teams are now starting to build chemistry and players are getting their rhythm. 4 games ago Stanford played a Cal Baptism team and won by 5. UConn is really really good just thin on the bench and lack of size but I like when we drive to the basket I like when we pass the ball around to find the open player. I think we should press more on defense to.

Reaction Score
Does Stanford even permit math majors (71-52=20?)? ;)

Nice win for the conifers though.

And how about my clever use of question-mark-close-parentheses-question-mark? When was the last time anybody on The Farm used that?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You his mind translator? Sorry I'm totally lost now with your input...but that's my problem. :rolleyes:
No, it's not just your problem, it's the way of the new BY.
I too get lost very easily with some of these non UConn threads disguised as UConn threads. And have been told to just Ignore these threads/posters by many posters, which has turned out to be good advice.

Reaction Score
1. You don't count the player graduated otherwise UConn also graduated KLS and Naphessa.
2. There are 3 teams beat OSU, Ohio, SDAK and UConn. If Stanford beat Ohio by 20 points that not to be proud of.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also it looks like the freshman Bell was maybe nervous, she didn't make a shot and she has been dynamic for tOSU so far this season.

JordyG

Reaction Score
There is a lot more if's in your response than mine, that's for sure. It could be argued (ridiculously of course) that some of UConn's better players are playing for other teams, especially the one down in SCar. There are also two All American's that graduated from UConn, and one potential AA sitting on the bench that didn't get the waiver she deserved. Also, who knows how long CD's back was an issue before she sat? Who knows how Liv's broken toe is affecting her (I think it's really restricting her turning over her left shoulder on offense, but that's neither here nor there)? Who's to say all of the those Stanford starters from last year would have anything close to the year they had? Who's to say when they do return from injury they'll be what they once were. Who's to say they wouldn't have delayed the growth of the freshmen who are healthy?

The truth is if if's where skiffs we'd all be sailing. But home court advantage is a reality, and it's usually worth 3 points for your offense and 3 on defense. Young teams typically react poorly on the road and better at home. That's what I've seen. I attributed the Louisville win as a road loss to a young inspired team at home. Now, if I were a Stanford fan, I too would be very happy with a comfortable win at home against OSU. I would also be overjoyed, perhaps giddy, at the depth Stanford has now, and when your upper classmen return. I would however temper my joy until your young team faces adversity on the road.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, I watched this game with great interest and as stated, tOSU missed a lot of open 3’s (not good Stanford perimeter defense) , rushed Many of their in the paint shots (Very good Stanford defense) and could not contain the Stanford fast break. Kiana Williams looked very good leading this and moving the ball to all the players. As far as “missing starters” given the sheer amount of talent this team has, I am not sure Dodson would start anyway, she would play and play a decent amount but she is not and would not be a focus of the offense the way Smith was last year. This team looked great yesterday, they also looked sluggish against Gonzaga and Cal Baptist. Likewise tOSU played well against us at home and played very well against Louisville at home. They did not play particularly well last night.
Stamford is one of the top 6 teams in the country (anywhere from 1-6) as are Oregon,UConn, Baylor, SC and Oregon State. Second tier is Louisville (they played poorly yesterday against Kentucky), NC State, Florida State, Texas A&M, Maryland, Indiana. No one is a clear #1 and all have shown hot and cold tendencies that as conference play starts should start to smooth those hiccups away.
Overall, a Very enjoyable game last night.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I realize I'm walking into a Lion's (Huskies'?) Den with my statements, and I personally think UConn, not Stanford, should be the no. 1 ranked team in the country right now. Nevertheless, I'm quite pleased with how well we're doing given the personnel we're missing. Carrington is the heart and soul of this team and her absence is significant on both ends of the court.

I fully expect some road losses and would be shocked if we enter NCAA's with fewer than 4 losses on the season. All that being said, I'm looking to see how we're progressing for March, and with that in mind, I'm more comfortable with a lot of turnovers from some pretty raw frosh, if they can develop making dishes the ways Jones is starting to do, reliably make fast-release three point shots like Jump is making (at a rate of .488! as a frosh!), have the combo of defensive blocks and high post offense trey shooting like Pretchel has shown glimpses of, and dominance in the paint like Belibi is developing.

Absolutely a work in progress, and not at the level of what you'd expect from a no. 1 team. But two seasons ago our leading scorer, Brittany McPhee, was out and we ended up going 6-7 to start the season. Given that we have even more personnel on the bench so far this season, I like what I'm seeing.

Reaction Score
Having watched game, Stanford beats UConn at home, loses to UConn away, and sets up a tourney nail biter, except Oregon keeps them from getting there. Stanford’s biggest problem is a tough PAC-12 where on any given night virtually any other conference foe could beat them. I see Stanford finishing second or third, losing a tie breaker for second this season but finishing first next year.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I realize I'm walking into a Lion's (Huskies'?) Den with my statements, and I personally think UConn, not Stanford, should be the no. 1 ranked team in the country right now. Nevertheless, I'm quite pleased with how well we're doing given the personnel we're missing. Carrington is the heart and soul of this team and her absence is significant on both ends of the court.

I fully expect some road losses and would be shocked if we enter NCAA's with fewer than 4 losses on the season. All that being said, I'm looking to see how we're progressing for March, and with that in mind, I'm more comfortable with a lot of turnovers from some pretty raw frosh, if they can develop making dishes the ways Jones is starting to do, reliably make fast-release three point shots like Jump is making (at a rate of .488! as a frosh!), have the combo of defensive blocks and high post offense trey shooting like Pretchel has shown glimpses of, and dominance in the paint like Belibi is developing.

Absolutely a work in progress, and not at the level of what you'd expect from a no. 1 team. But two seasons ago our leading scorer, Brittany McPhee, was out and we ended up going 6-7 to start the season. Given that we have even more personnel on the bench so far this season, I like what I'm seeing.
It's nice of you to say UConn should be #1, but I certainly do not think so. I still think both of your PAC 12 teams, Oregon and Stanford should be ranked above UConn. From what I've seen on a neutral court they'd prevail. I think however if the Dance was held today UConn would be an FF team. All just MHO.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Teams match up differently against other teams and you have to take into consideration an off night...injuries and those things. These teams don't play the same night after night. The talent level in the top 10...maybe the top 15 is close and on paper some look stronger than others...but...I would not be surprised to see UCONN beat Stanford...or to see Stanford beat UCONN on any given night. It's an "on any given night" unless they are going to do a best of series, it's kind of moot to compare the games...just my opinion.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I personally think UConn, not Stanford, should be the no. 1 ranked team in the country right now.
Geno recently said that UConn is #2 only because they haven't lost and other teams have.

this from espn;
OVERRATED?

Nobody has been ranked in the top five more this decade than UConn and coach Geno Auriemma. His team moved up to No. 2 last week, and the Hall of Fame coach said it's more about his team's undefeated status than how good the Huskies may be.

"It's not really true. We're just there because we haven't lost yet. Everybody else happened to lose. We ain't No. 2 in the country," he told reporters last week.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Not to nit pick, you talking about L. Hull that started and played 30 minutes in this game?
Lexie Hull started and played 30 minutes against Ohio State. Lacie Hull was out with a injury.

This year Lexie has been starting and Lacie coming off the bench, but last year Lacie got a lot of starts. However, that was only because Lexie missed a lot of time with injury last year and never got back to 100%. So citing Lacie as a former starter who was out against Ohio State was a bit misleading.

Reaction Score
For me the most surprising graphic during the game was seeing how long ago Stanford’s National Championships were. My how time flies when you’re having fun

Reaction Score
Tara and Stanford were the reason I got interested in and started following WCBB. However, due to a series of bad luck years when what could go wrong went wrong, Tara is carrying a monkey on her back that makes her freeze up in big games the NCAA's. She sort of expects something to always go wrong and so plays not to lose instead of to win. This has caused her and Stanford to underachieve for quite some time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom