Stanford to Bridgeport? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stanford to Bridgeport?

Reaction Score
Well you just said in this very thread that you didn't think UCONN could hold Stanford to under 50, and yet Oregon State managed to do that, even tho it was a losing effort. So then I would ask why do you think Oregon State could hold Stanford to 48 points, but UCONN could not?

My comment was based upon watching UCONN's defensive effort yesterday. I think Stanford's BIGs could score enough against UCONN's defense (including offensive rebound put backs) to break 50. Maybe you thought I was somehow making a comparison between UCONN's defense and OSU's defense (not my intent), but since you asked, that would be my logic.

Reaction Score
I'm thoroughly confused by what you say...

If you are speaking based on CC current Bracketology then you'd notice that Tennessee isn't hosting a single thing. That's because only the top 16 teams can host. And if Stanford cannot then (from what you are saying) Tennessee automatically gets the first 2 rounds?

How does this work? They aren't even on the same side of the bracket. Tennessee as a 7 seed doubtfully will even stay in their area of the country. They'd have to be a 4 seed or higher if they are going to host.

Please notice that the first 2 rounds are given on the Bracketology report are the home sites of those respective universities sitting at seeds 1 thru 4.

Am I missing something? I do like your thoughts tho and have never thought of it that way..

Charlie Creme made this very statement about Tennessee (as a 7 seed) hosting because Stanford could not. I couldn't follow the logic, but he did state this yesterday on national TV.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Ok kids, so here's the deal. Due to the heretofore mentioned conflict at Maples Pavilion (Stanford's arena), the school will NOT host. Therefore, the host will be the next highest seed in whatever first/second round bracket they are located. As a 2, they would play a 7. If that's TN, then they get to host.

Reaction Score
Ok kids, so here's the deal. Due to the heretofore mentioned conflict at Maples Pavilion (Stanford's arena), the school will NOT host. Therefore, the host will be the next highest seed in whatever first/second round bracket they are located. As a 2, they would play a 7. If that's TN, then they get to host.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense based upon what Charlie Creme said yesterday.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score

Just to be clear...for TN to host as a higher seed, they MUST be a 7 seed and they MUST be playing against Stanford...do I have it right now?...I can see how that makes sense now. But will the committee do that? Doubtful IMO

Reaction Score
Just to be clear...for TN to host as a higher seed, they MUST be a 7 seed and they MUST be playing against Stanford...do I have it right now?...I can see how that makes sense now. But will the committee do that? Doubtful IMO
You have that right. It basically comes down to who is the #7 seed in Stanford's bracket.

Reaction Score
I think that Charlie may be wrong here. With Stanford beating Oregon State for the Pac-12 Title last night they may have jumped up a couple of notches.

Just my opinion as we all have one but this is how I see the One and Two Seeds.

#1 UConn and #2 Oregon Sate
#1 Baylor and #2 Mississippi State
#1 South Carolina and #2 Stanford
#1 Notre Dame and #2 Maryland
Possible rethink required given Baylor loss -- they have just played their way OUT of a 1 seed by losing to unranked WVU.

Interesting item re Stanford--they CANNOT host first two rounds even if a top four seed -- according to Bob Joyce there is some other sporting event booked there that weekend. So you could see a 6 or 7 seed hosting their subregion.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Possible rethink required given Baylor loss -- they have just played their way OUT of a 1 seed by losing to unranked WVU.

Interesting item re Stanford--they CANNOT host first two rounds even if a top four seed -- according to Bob Joyce there is some other sporting event booked there that weekend. So you could see a 6 or 7 seed hosting their subregion.

I doubt it. Baylor's loss will push them behind ND but I don't think they even fall behind SC (but close)

Reaction Score

I doubt it. Why would USC be ahead of them for example? Didn't USC lose to Mizzo? How much better is Mizzo vs WVA? They aren't better according to Sagarin though RPI has Mizzo better. And Baylor's star player is out.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
OSU does not score a lot of points (66/game) with only Wiese and the big post averaging double figures. They win by playing tough defense. If a team takes away Wiese, as Stanford did, you have a good shot at beating OSU.

UConn has many more scoring options than OSU, and this Stanford team struggles to score at times. While they will play hard, I doubt the Cardinal can hang with the Huskies for 40 minutes, particularly with a packed house full of Husky fans in Bridgeport.

If we play Stanford in Bpt, it will be a beatdown reminiscent of the one we administered in the 1995 Final Four. What was it 87-60? That humiliation is generally regarded as the reason why VanDerveer wouldn't give Lobo much PT in the 1996 Olympics, is it not?

Reaction Score
I caught a little bit and it seemed a pretty listless & sloppy performance by both. Lots of running around without much to show for it. Still, Stanford is Stanford....they DO have a history with UConn.
I have no idea what was going on there. I actually watched most of the game; all that I could stand. And frankly it was right up there with the worst games I've ever seen. I disagree with Bags on a couple of things. There was nothing entertaining about it and I don't think it had a lot to do with defense. Neither team could make a shot if their lives depended on it. Just one broken play after another, and what few shots got up didn't come near going in, for the most part. Both teams.

I have to believe Stanford is better than that; I don't know enough about OSU to know what to think. But in my estimation it was ugly, boring and just plain awful to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom