Stanford-Tenn today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stanford-Tenn today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is Stanford that good defensively or is Tennessee that inept offensively?

Tennessee - 32% FG, 22% 3PT.

Also, Stanford is going to wear out their players if they keep playing them as many minutes as they have the last two games.

Ogwimike - 40 and 40
Orrange - 37 and 30
Kokenis - 35 and 37
Tinkle - 36 and 36

I'm sure they will play less against the easier teams, but wow.

both to your first question.

Stanford is a well conditioned team, our rotation is 7-8 players most years. Those 4 will play majority of minutes all the time.

Reaction Score
Stanford was good, as expected...much better defensive effort by Tenn than they showed Baylor...but the game never seemed in doubt. Graves played tough and Harrison did pretty well holding Chiney down. Orrange looked a lot better than Massengale early...although Ariel played nice help defense in the second half. Simmons was a non-factor when it counted...and that's two poor starts for her against two top ten teams. I guess we'll have to make a point never to give a Samuelsson sister a wide open trey...

Reaction Score
Looks like UConn player minutes in a lot of games over the last few years.

Is Stanford that good defensively or is Tennessee that inept offensively?

Tennessee - 32% FG, 22% 3PT.

Also, Stanford is going to wear out their players if they keep playing them as many minutes as they have the last two games.

Ogwimike - 40 and 40
Orrange - 37 and 30
Kokenis - 35 and 37
Tinkle - 36 and 36

I'm sure they will play less against the easier teams, but wow.

Reaction Score
so far this year, Chiney has avg <32 mins, Tinkle 31, Orrange 29

Reaction Score
I thought Chiney was dragging at the end...didn't realize she hadn't had a breather all game...she is in good shape!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
both to your first question.

Stanford is a well conditioned team, our rotation is 7-8 players most years. Those 4 will play majority of minutes all the time.

You guys have been terrific defensively this year. Impressive, in fact.

You might have been a 7-8 player rotation in the past, but I always look at the competative games. You have had only a 6 player rotation in those games. It does wear on you.

Reaction Score
You guys have been terrific defensively this year. Impressive, in fact.

You might have been a 7-8 player rotation in the past, but I always look at the competative games. You have had only a 6 player rotation in those games. It does wear on you.

thanks, we are playing good help D. Are you talking this yr (re: us using 6 players) or other years?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Looks like UConn player minutes in a lot of games over the last few years.

I was speaking from experience. Never said UConn didn't have a short rotation. Not sure why you brought Uconn into it. They don't have that problem this year.

Baylor plays a short rotation too.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
thanks, we are playing good help D. Are you talking this yr (re: us using 6 players) or other years?
So far this year.

Other years rotations don't impact this year.

Reaction Score
I have never thought a short rotation itself was ever a significant problem for UConn. The majority of the national championships were won playing 7 or fewer players, and I prefer short rotations particularly in college basketball. The cure is often worst than the disease when it comes to short rotations. You may feel differently, although it does seem a little strange to criticize a team for something that has been true for many national champions let alone other top teams. Not being talented enough within that short rotation is a far bigger problem for Stanford than the short rotation itself.

I was speaking from experience. Never said UConn didn't have a short rotation. Not sure why you brought Uconn into it. They don't have that problem this year.

Baylor plays a short rotation too.

Reaction Score
So far this year.

Other years rotations don't impact this year.

really? Doh. You said big games, but didn't quantify. We are using fewer people so this year due to some injuries and youth. It will be more spread out as the season goes on.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I have never thought a short rotation itself was ever a significant problem for UConn. The majority of the national championships were won playing 7 or fewer players, and I prefer short rotations particularly in college basketball. The cure is often worst than the disease when it comes to short rotations. You may feel differently, although it does seem a little strange to criticize a team for something that has been true for many national champions let alone other top teams. Not being talented enough within that short rotation is a far bigger problem for Stanford than the short rotation itself.

I was just looking at the back to back games of 40 minutes for Ogwimike and then noted all the high minutes for a few other players.

I do think that fatigue can be an issue.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
It's true that only 6 players had more than 10 minutes this game. Against Baylor, 7 players did -- Taylor Greenfield had 29 minutes that game. I think Taylor may still be somewhat affected by the hard fall she took onto her chin two games ago. She had to be helped to the locker room and did not return that game, though she was able to play some against South Carolina as well as a few minutes against Tennessee.

Camp hopefully will get more minutes as the year goes on and she continues to round back into form after her injury that caused her to miss most of last season. You might remember she played a lot in last year's Stanford at UConn game (21 minutes, 14 points).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It's true that only 6 players had more than 10 minutes this game. Against Baylor, 7 players did -- Taylor Greenfield had 29 minutes that game. I think Taylor may still be somewhat affected by the hard fall she took onto her chin two games ago. She had to be helped to the locker room and did not return that game, though she was able to play some against South Carolina as well as a few minutes against Tennessee.

Camp hopefully will get more minutes as the year goes on and she continues to round back into form after her injury that caused her to miss most of last season. You might remember she played a lot in last year's Stanford at UConn game (21 minutes, 14 points).

I do remember Camp. She had a great game against UConn last year. Glad she is coming back from her injury.

Reaction Score
After the game, the Tenn coach questioned her team's effort.

Hmm, where have I heard that before?

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/122212aaa.html
This article is very telling that the mindset of Pat has been embraced by Holly. Put the ball on the rim ,Offensive rebound score and win. Never mind learning how to run half court sets. Superior athletes and rebounding wins games. Well holly the playing field is leveling out because other programs are offering the same package that only an elite few could offer a few years ago. Buckle your seat belts Lady Vols the ride could be very rough. You are no longer the it Team. You would think the couple of beat downs by Uconn would have changed this mentality, especially when we had our all American point guard Maria Conlon and her slow friends taking it to the house against the mighty Vols.

Reaction Score
17 offensive rebounds on 32% shooting and 37 rebounds overall= Stamford 37 rebounds. Result , Tenn loses

Reaction Score
This article is very telling that the mindset of Pat has been embraced by Holly. Put the ball on the rim ,Offensive rebound score and win. Never mind learning how to run half court sets. Superior athletes and rebounding wins games. Well holly the playing field is leveling out because other programs are offering the same package that only an elite few could offer a few years ago. Buckle your seat belts Lady Vols the ride could be very rough. You are no longer the it Team. You would think the couple of beat downs by Uconn would have changed this mentality, especially when we had our all American point guard Maria Conlon and her slow friends taking it to the house against the mighty Vols.
Holly may have Pat's mindset, but she doesn't seem to have much of an influence on her players. One example is her inability to get Simmons to stop being the Wild Child. Her game management is also not up to par. She's struggling.

I think it's unrealistic to expect anyone to come in and pick up where Pat left off. There just aren't that many people with the skills of Pat or Geno. No doubt Holly is an okay coach, but that doesn't cut it on rocky top.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Holly may have Pat's mindset, but she doesn't seem to have much of an influence on her players. One example is her inability to get Simmons to stop being the Wild Child. Her game management is also not up to par. She's struggling.

I think it's unrealistic to expect anyone to come in and pick up where Pat left off. There just aren't that many people with the skills of Pat or Geno. No doubt Holly is an okay coach, but that doesn't cut it on rocky top.

For many Tennessee fans, they were truly hopeful that it was more about the institution than Pat Summit. They were hoping that the same "defense and rebounding" type team could be successful.

What Tennessee showed the last 4 years is that this type of team can only go so far without a dominating player. And now with an unproven head coach and an inexperienced team, I can see them struggling against several SEC teams.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

Why doesn't it cut it on Rocky Top? If what you say is true and there aren't that many people with the skills of Pat or Geno...then that would mean that Holly is like the other 363 Division one coaches not as good as Pat and Geno...but, arguably better than most given her years of experience on the bench with one of the best. Additionally, it isn't like TN has been to the final four in recent years...

Reaction Score
After the game, the Tenn coach questioned her team's effort.

Hmm, where have I heard that before?

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/122212aaa.html

Wow, it gets worse.

Warlick: "… The whole game I was in disbelief."

"If we can compete against North Carolina, why can't we compete against Stanford? It makes entirely no sense to me."

Seriously? I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but that really seems like an odd statement. UNC and Stanford are not on the same planet.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/dec/22/no-1-stanford-tops-lady-vols-73-60/?partner=RSS

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Because UNC is not that hard to compete against right now. Pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom