Stanford-Tenn today | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Stanford-Tenn today

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
..because, there really is something in the water in Knoxville. Call it koolaid, call it whatever, but, if a head coach of a prominent program can say with a straight face..

"If we can compete against North Carolina, why can't we compete against Stanford? It makes entirely no sense to me."
..then, they're either a gifted BS artist or clueless.

Reaction Score
Why doesn't it cut it on Rocky Top? If what you say is true and there aren't that many people with the skills of Pat or Geno...then that would mean that Holly is like the other 363 Division one coaches not as good as Pat and Geno...but, arguably better than most given her years of experience on the bench with one of the best. Additionally, it isn't like TN has been to the final four in recent years...
What I'm trying to say is Tennessee's reputation has made it easier to get top recruits, making Holly's job easier. There are many coaches who would love to be able to attract TN's level of talent, and would thrive in that environment. These coaches get more out of their less skilled players than Holly has accomplished with her highly ranked personnel. I'm also including Pat's waning years, where Holly was taking a larger percentage of the responsibility. I'd say she has the remainder of this year plus next year to show significant improvement. If it doesn't happen, I doubt if she'll survive.

So far, I'd say she is an average coach at best, perhaps below average factoring in her many years of experience. She's slow to react to game situations. Her interview comments are puzzling in that she expresses low expectations at times (we're working on the basics) and is highly critical of her players at others. It's confusing. She seems at a loss for what to do. The only smart thing she's done is to not speak of resuming play vs. Uconn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wow, it gets worse.

Warlick: "… The whole game I was in disbelief."

"If we can compete against North Carolina, why can't we compete against Stanford? It makes entirely no sense to me."

Seriously? I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but that really seems like an odd statement. UNC and Stanford are not on the same planet.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/dec/22/no-1-stanford-tops-lady-vols-73-60/?partner=RSS

In fairness, I think Holly used the word "compete" to mean playing with intensity and effort which she believed were lacking yesterday. She obviously recognizes that UNC and Stanford are vastly different opponents, but effort and intensity are things players can control and she's questioning why they weren't there yesterday. It's a fair question. There were certainly reasons why the effort and intensity should have been greater against Stanford, high among them Stanford's #1 ranking.

Reaction Score
This article is very telling that the mindset of Pat has been embraced by Holly. Put the ball on the rim ,Offensive rebound score and win. Never mind learning how to run half court sets. Superior athletes and rebounding wins games. Well holly the playing field is leveling out because other programs are offering the same package that only an elite few could offer a few years ago. Buckle your seat belts Lady Vols the ride could be very rough. You are no longer the it Team. You would think the couple of beat downs by Uconn would have changed this mentality, especially when we had our all American point guard Maria Conlon and her slow friends taking it to the house against the mighty Vols.

Excellent points. The Vols will continue to struggle until they run an offense. Holly said they were never in it yesterday. I thought the Vols' pace and energy was bad in the first half and didn't pick it up until 8 min left in the game. Even after slow starts, Pat's teams came out on fire after halftime. They took too long to adjust or respond yesterday, which is on the coaching staff.

They haven't been "the" or "a" it Team since Parker graduated. Even when Parker was there, they beat teams with defense (stealing the ball by climbing and grabbing players), fast breaks, and rebounding. They don't have a game changer type of player, so the sum of their parts do not equal a good team because they don't run an offense.

Reaction Score
In fairness, I think Holly used the word "compete" to mean playing with intensity and effort which she believed were lacking yesterday. She obviously recognizes that UNC and Stanford are vastly different opponents, but effort and intensity are things players can control and she's questioning why they weren't there yesterday. It's a fair question. There were certainly reasons why the effort and intensity should have been greater against Stanford, high among them Stanford's #1 ranking.

Poor performance isn't always "lack of effort and intensity", this sounds like coaching excuses. Tenn had 17 offensive rebounds vs. Trees 26 defensive - so Tenn seems like they were pretty intense rebounding. Standord shot 47% which is good, but they are a good shoting team. Tenn had ten more shots with same number of FF's. These are all indications that didn't lose TO battle (were about the same) which indicates effort to me.

Losing teams blame intensity. Winning teams play smart/well and are good enough to win. Tenn has two problems - don't play smart and are not good enough (for Stanfore/Baylor type teams); has nothing to do with intensity. Will soon see if good enough vs. next rung of teams (Georgia - USCe), if not then Tenn could approach their Ball State year.

When was last time you heard player say "we didn't lose 'cause of lack of intensity; we lost 'cause: coach plays wrong players, coach has wrong scheme, we aren't as good as other team, Sally takes stupid shots, etc."; it's always "intensity".

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...sounds like coaching excuses... Losing teams blame intensity... don't play smart and are not good enough (for Stanfore/Baylor type teams); has nothing to do with intensity...

Bingo.jpg

Since the most fundamental responsibilities of a leader are to ‘lead, teach, correct, care for, and motivate’ every day…

…Hearing “lack of motivation” is any organization’s problem is OK initially when the leadership is assessing it’s way forward. But the same leaders complaining repeatedly about a lack of effort is a red flag… a red flag either of the leadership’s failure to deal with its most fundamental responsibility of ‘motivation,’ or their denial/inability to understand other true reasons for failure.

“There are no bad regiments, only bad colonels" – Napoleon

Reaction Score

I didn't see the game, and I've heard no specific examples of how TN lacked "intensity." It just seems the explanation every time TN loses, to the point that it almost appears synonymous with "performance". And I argue that neither are unrelated to the opponent.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
-I didn't see the game, but in recent games, UTenn was running more plays and had a semblance of an offensive.

-I thinks its unfair and unwarranted for the 'yard' to be all over Holly's coaching, seems to me she's doing a pretty good job.
Not ready for prime-time; perhaps...having trouble beating Stanford or Baylor? I'll be a lot more smug after we accomplish that feat. I'd say (especially after the opening disaster) that they're doing as well or better than expected to date.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
-I didn't see the game, but in recent games, UTenn was running more plays and had a semblance of an offensive.

I haven't seen any of this. I am beginning to think it's just propaganda put out there by Tennessee fans and picked up by others as fact.

-I thinks its unfair and unwarranted for the 'yard' to be all over Holly's coaching, seems to me she's doing a pretty good job.

Based on what? And they also lost to Chattanooga. They are a poor shooting poor passing team. Is all of that on the players? Or does the coach get some blame?

Not ready for prime-time; perhaps...having trouble beating Stanford or Baylor? I'll be a lot more smug after we accomplish that feat.

You are comparing UConn to Tennessee? You're kidding, right?

I'd say (especially after the opening disaster) that they're doing as well or better than expected to date.

They have as good a roster of HS AA's as anyone. Not sure how they are doing better than expected now.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Doggy commented on my post (his is in bold)
Doggy commented on my post

Based on what? And they also lost to Chattanooga. They are a poor shooting poor passing team. Is all of that on the players? Or does the coach get some blame?
After the Chattanooga disaster, Holly won seven in a row including two to top-twenty teams as of this week and a Miami team that received votes. I would characterize that as doing a pretty good job.
Not ready for prime-time; perhaps...having trouble beating Stanford or Baylor? I'll be a lot more smug after we accomplish that feat.

I am certainly not comparing UConn to Tennessee but we are yet to play Stanford and Baylor and it is not outside the relm of possibility that we lose both games (as unlikely as that is). Would that put us on the Tennessee level ? No, but we'd be relegated to a lower group until we proved ourselves by defeating Notre Dame, the 2-3 or 4 times we played them and beating the top teams in the NCAA's
The point I am making is that we have a small group of superior teams and a bunch of good ones, we killed Purdue and since then they've thrived

I'd say (especially after the opening disaster) that they're doing as well or better than expected to date.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'm interested to see how Tennessee plays against Rutgers. Our scoring defense is 19th in the nation by only allowing 49 points a game, where Tennessee is 2nd in PPG.

Our defense has improved greatly these past few weeks, and hopefully we can buy enough shots to outscore them. :p

Reaction Score
I'm interested to see how Tennessee plays against Rutgers. Our scoring defense is 19th in the nation by only allowing 49 points a game, where Tennessee is 2nd in PPG.

Our defense has improved greatly these past few weeks, and hopefully we can buy enough shots to outscore them. :p
Tennessee is now 3rd in PPG, Uconn having just passed them. Hope Rutgers continues the trend for TN.

Reaction Score

Think the #2 in scoring was before Baylor and Stanford. With Rutgers and USCe soon to come, expect scoring will be down quite a bit.

Reaction Score

Unfortunately in the past C Viv had no idea how to beat Pat coached TN. Hopefully she'll do better against Holly. I'm tired to root for RU whenever they play TN only to see them loss time and time again :)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Doggy commented on my post (his is in bold)
Doggy commented on my post
After the Chattanooga disaster, Holly won seven in a row including two to top-twenty teams as of this week and a Miami team that received votes. I would characterize that as doing a pretty good job.
I am certainly not comparing UConn to Tennessee but we are yet to play Stanford and Baylor and it is not outside the relm of possibility that we lose both games (as unlikely as that is). Would that put us on the Tennessee level ? No, but we'd be relegated to a lower group until we proved ourselves by defeating Notre Dame, the 2-3 or 4 times we played them and beating the top teams in the NCAA's
The point I am making is that we have a small group of superior teams and a bunch of good ones, we killed Purdue and since then they've thrived
Considering their roster of McD's and highly ranked HS players, beating UNC, GTech, Miami and Texas was expected. Losing to Chattanooga? Not expected. And how they lost to Baylor and then Stanford? Not good. I don't see a cohesive team. That is on Warlick. I'm not impressed. Just read her comments about her team.

I think that fans have a right to comment on the Stanford and Baylor games even if their team hasn't played them yet. It's not about being smug. It's about discussing how Tennessee did.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Unfortunately in the past C Viv had no idea how to beat Pat coached TN. Hopefully she'll do better against Holly. I'm tired to root for RU whenever they play TN only to see them loss time and time again :)

True.

It will also be an interesting reunion for CVS with her former player, and former Ass. HC Jolette Law being on the Tennessee sideline. I bet she was in charge of the scout for us.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
View attachment 1974

Since the most fundamental responsibilities of a leader are to ‘lead, teach, correct, care for, and motivate’ every day…

…Hearing “lack of motivation” is any organization’s problem is OK initially when the leadership is assessing it’s way forward. But the same leaders complaining repeatedly about a lack of effort is a red flag… a red flag either of the leadership’s failure to deal with its most fundamental responsibility of ‘motivation,’ or their denial/inability to understand other true reasons for failure.

“There are no bad regiments, only bad colonels" – Napoleon

"BINGO" again. !!!

OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members