Stanford series? | The Boneyard

Stanford series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what ever happened to the Stanford series? After the 2014 game, the series was postponed and the remaining games of the contract were supposed to resume at a later point in time but it never happened. Just curious? I thought it was a great series and while Stanford hasn't been in the top 5 in the last couple years, they seem to be a good team that runs a decent offense and provide good prep for the post season.

Reaction Score
Be nice if it were started in time for Lou to have a senior game there (though Stanford might not want to be the venue for her "home" game, as Tara also tried to recruit her).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
imagesOVRJU4NR.jpg
Here you go! Why! Put Stanford on the schedule so they can get credit for ending another UCONN winning streak?

Reaction Score
Word has it (and I'm not sure how accurate this is) that Tara was upset and thought that Geno did some underhanded stuff to land Katie Lou. I guess it's because KLS sisters were Stanford players, that it was a given the KLS would follow. I just think that Katie Lou wanted to carve her own niche.

Reaction Score
Word has it (and I'm not sure how accurate this is) that Tara was upset and thought that Geno did some underhanded stuff to land Katie Lou. I guess it's because KLS sisters were Stanford players, that it was a given the KLS would follow. I just think that Katie Lou wanted to carve her own niche.
As you say, it's only rumor. My sense (FWIW, which is nothing) is that Lou recruited Geno as much as vice-versa. Hard to believe that Geno needed to do anything that remotely seemed underhanded.

Reaction Score
I thought Tara didn't want the sisters to have to play each other, and that the series was set to resume after Karlie graduates....?

Reaction Score
Lol. Our current team is very tough. I don't think Stanford would challenge us.

I was thinking the recruitment of KLS had something to do with it as well but wasn't sure. Either way, it is their loss. While UConn needs to schedule competitive P5 opponents to offset their conference schedule, I think the opponent equally benefits as well. Look what happened at MD...sold out arena, great publicity for the team, etc.

Reaction Score
They said the same thing with Maya. On Senior Night Maya's mom said that she was more proud of the person Maya had become than of the basketball player she was. Maya and her mom made the decision together. Geno, CD, Shea and Marrisa don't produce just basketball players; they help to make the person better by making them realize the whole is what's most important. There are UConn players who could have gone to other programs and put up record breaking individual numbers. They chose to put up record breaking team numbers - the whole. Katie Lou said she wanted to go to a program that would make her the best player she could be. No question that's UConn. Also, Geno doesn't do all of the recruiting. Does that make CD, Shea and Marrisa underhanded, too?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lol. Our current team is very tough. I don't think Stanford would challenge us.

I was thinking the recruitment of KLS had something to do with it as well but wasn't sure. Either way, it is their loss. While UConn needs to schedule competitive P5 opponents to offset their conference schedule, I think the opponent equally benefits as well. Look what happened at MD...sold out arena, great publicity for the team, etc.
Last time UCONN went to the left coast we had a pretty good team also. KLS Home is actually 5 hours from Stanford so let's throw that theory right out the window. UCLA or USC would be much closer to home should do both that way Sadie Edwards can get to come home to UCONN as a senior.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I don't understand the point of repeating a rumor like this. Although it is absolutely false, this is how unsubstantiated rumors are spread around message boards. I don't doubt that this post will find its way to LadyVol message boards where, to this day, you can read posts on Geno and Pat and alleged recruiting misdeeds. Plus, spreading rumors like this is insulting not only to Geno but to the player and her family.

Geno and Chris had a great relationship with the Samuelson family going back to Bonnie's and then Karlie's recruitment. It was known to all involved, including and especially Tara, that Katie Lou wanted to go to UConn. Here's a post from a Stanford fan (MalibuJim) on this board about a year ago explaining that:

Just wanted to set the record straight on KLS. Tara knew, as everyone else, except for some isolated WBB fans in the northeast, that KLS was going to go to UConn! After Bonnie, Karlie was undecided between UConn & Stanford, but chose Stanford so as to be closer to home. Katie Lou had decided some time ago she wanted to play at UConn, and although, Tara would have loved to have her at Stanford, it was widely known, and accepted, that she was going to UConn. As far as the Stanford - UConn series goes, I heard it was a scheduling conflict this year, but haven't heard anything in regards to next year.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I can see why Tara might think that it is a needless spectacle to have a Karlie vs. Katie Lou game on her home floor, or for that matter on national television. If KLS wins the Battle Of The Sisters (which might occur and might have occurred regardless of UConn coaching), then there will be comparisons made on boards like this across WCBB-dom about the inferior development of Karlie at Stanford vs. Katie Lou at UConn, and Tara might like to be spared from that.

I also think that Tara is not immune from what may concern Quentin Hilsman at Syracuse about scheduling home games with UConn. It just gives Geno an advertising platform right in his or her home recruiting territory to advertise for talent that might otherwise go to the local campus. Tara probably feels that the past home games at Maples helped Geno to recruit KML and KLS, and Hilsman may think that UConn's appearances at Syracuse in Big East days helped to recruit Breanna Stewart. They may be wrong about that, but that doesn't mean that they don't believe it.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the point of repeating a rumor like this. Although it is absolutely false, this is how unsubstantiated rumors are spread around message boards. I don't doubt that this post will find its way to LadyVol message boards where, to this day, you can read posts on Geno and Pat and alleged recruiting misdeeds. Plus, spreading rumors like this is insulting not only to Geno but to the player and her family.

Geno and Chris had a great relationship with the Samuelson family going back to Bonnie's and then Karlie's recruitment. It was known to all involved, including and especially Tara, that Katie Lou wanted to go to UConn. Here's a post from a Stanford fan (MalibuJim) on this board about a year ago explaining that:

Just wanted to set the record straight on KLS. Tara knew, as everyone else, except for some isolated WBB fans in the northeast, that KLS was going to go to UConn! After Bonnie, Karlie was undecided between UConn & Stanford, but chose Stanford so as to be closer to home. Katie Lou had decided some time ago she wanted to play at UConn, and although, Tara would have loved to have her at Stanford, it was widely known, and accepted, that she was going to UConn. As far as the Stanford - UConn series goes, I heard it was a scheduling conflict this year, but haven't heard anything in regards to next year.

Oooops......my bad for even posting that. Although I did put in parenthesis about the accuracy on that. It's just one person's thought, not a whole board. You put out your opinion, which in my opinion sounds just right. People are going to say what they want about Geno and his recruiting tactics with or without my post and have done so for for a while now. Let's just go on and if possible to locked the thread if it's going to upset people on here. It was a mistake, I'm getting over it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Word has it (and I'm not sure how accurate this is) that Tara was upset and thought that Geno did some underhanded stuff to land Katie Lou.

If that's true, Tara needs to get a full neurological work-up. GDS can be an early warning sign.

Reaction Score

It just amazes - I never even knew there was ever any sort of rumor on Katie Lou's recruiting. especially since her leanings towards UConn were known pretty much from the beginning. From a 2013 national article, also previously posted/linked on the Boneyard:

"She’ll begin taking trips to the schools she’s considering — Notre Dame and UConn are already on the docket for this winter. Everyone asks about Stanford, if she wants to play with Karlie again like she did in high school, but she deflects the question with aplomb. “I’m thinking about what’s the best fit for me,” Lou said. “My sisters both know that. I’m going to look for the place where I best fit in, where I have the best opportunity, and they support that. They’re not trying to pressure me to go [to Stanford.]”

If she had to "talk around" the obvious question of going to Stanford, you can pretty safely assume it wasn't in her plans; as you mentioned, everyone including Tara knew that Katie Lou was heading to Connecticut, and has been discussed previously on this board, Stanford dropped out of the recruiting process fairly early on.

It would just be nice if we could avoid making things up - with or without parenthesis - and let the whole conspiracy-theory mentality stay over where it belongs, in particular the pay-to-read-stupidity orange forum where they revel in keeping a respectful distance from reality.

(Sigh)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
No question. Cought in the ACT!!! Definitely underhanded!!!!:D

If there was a bet involved, pretty sure Geno won.

But then again............................:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Maybe she didn't want to create the conflict for the Samuelson family. Who would they root for?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I can see why Tara might think that it is a needless spectacle to have a Karlie vs. Katie Lou game on her home floor, or for that matter on national television. If KLS wins the Battle Of The Sisters (which might occur and might have occurred regardless of UConn coaching), then there will be comparisons made on boards like this across WCBB-dom about the inferior development of Karlie at Stanford vs. Katie Lou at UConn, and Tara might like to be spared from that.

I also think that Tara is not immune from what may concern Quentin Hilsman at Syracuse about scheduling home games with UConn. It just gives Geno an advertising platform right in his or her home recruiting territory to advertise for talent that might otherwise go to the local campus. Tara probably feels that the past home games at Maples helped Geno to recruit KML and KLS, and Hilsman may think that UConn's appearances at Syracuse in Big East days helped to recruit Breanna Stewart. They may be wrong about that, but that doesn't mean that they don't believe it.
good point about the Q comparison... but some UConn fans will never dislike Tara as much as Q for some strange reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom