Stanford loses to Western Illinois?!? | The Boneyard

Stanford loses to Western Illinois?!?

Reaction Score
71-64

zowie

Cardinal looked to have things under control after a 19-3 second quarter, but got outscored 47-31 in the 2nd half!

Reaction Score
The Leathernecks (10-2) from the Summit League were #103 in Sagarin before tonight with losses to Northern Illinois and Milwaukee, with their "best" win at Illinois.

They made the NCAAs last year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A few of us were talking about this game in the "Tara rips into her team" thread.

Western Illinois deserves some credit. They play good, scrappy, hustling team basketball. They have a great point guard in Emily Clemens, who came into this game averaging about 15 points and 8.5 assists per game. In this game she had 26 points, 5 steals, 4 assists, 4 rebounds and only 2 turnovers. WIU as a team had 12 steals and forced a total of 19 turnovers.

But Stanford is just a mess right now. They miss McPhee so badly, and now Carrington is out as well. They had a huge height advantage and rebounding edge over WIU but couldn't do enough with it. And has a team ever had such poor free throw shooting? Before Stanford hit 3 meaningless free throws near the end, they were 5 of 16.

The Stanford-Tennessee game could be every bit the embarrassment that the Texas-Tennessee game was. Except that I don't expect it to be close.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I guess the only thing more embarrassing than the way Stanford played, was the crowd, or lack there of

Plebe

Reaction Score
I guess the only thing more embarrassing than the way Stanford played, was the crowd, or lack there of
Mmmmm ... I don't know. Both were pretty embarrassing, but I think the play was worse. Like triple face-palm bad.

Reaction Score
The Stanford-Tennessee game could be every bit the embarrassment that the Texas-Tennessee game was. Except that I don't expect it to be close.

You may be right but predicting a game based on the last effort isn't always wise. Last season Tenn lost to unranked Mississippi 67-62 and then beat Notre Dame in their next game. It happens,

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wasn’t tracking the game, but figured that the Cardinal had righted the ship after a bad 1Q. They may be good by the end of the year, but they aren’t close now.

Can Geno tally 12-15 more wins than Tara this year? It looks quite possible.

#Unranked.

Plebe

Reaction Score
You may be right but predicting a game based on the last effort isn't always wise. Last season Tenn lost to unranked Mississippi 67-62 and then beat Notre Dame in their next game. It happens,
That's true. Tennessee also beat Mississippi State and then lost to Alabama.

But in this case, Stanford has never looked good this year. They've ranged from mediocre to horrible.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
sad tree.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wasn’t tracking the game, but figured that the Cardinal had righted the ship after a bad 1Q. They may be good by the end of the year, but they aren’t close now.

Can Geno tally 12-15 more wins than Tara this year? It looks quite possible.

#Unranked.

Naw... If Stanford beats Tenn.... they will remain at 18... If they lose to Tenn... they will drop..... to maybe 20 or 21

Plebe

Reaction Score
Naw... If Stanford beats Tenn.... they will remain at 18... If they lose to Tenn... they will drop..... to maybe 20 or 21
I believe they will drop lower than 20 or 21 if they lose. They may just barely stay in the poll at 24 or 25, but I actually think they're more likely to drop out completely.

It's a sad day to be a tree. Your meme is on point.

HGN

Reaction Score
Triad, I now have my doubts if Stanford is going to beat Tennessee......One is playing up while the other is playing down. I don't know what is wrong with Stanford. Normally , if
the talent wasn't there , Tara coached them up but its not happening for them this year so far.

Reaction Score
If Tennessee loses vs. Stanford then god forbid they meet Western Illinois in the tourney.They could be totally Ball Stated.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I warned y'all before the season began that this team would be lucky to finish 3rd in the conference. Looks like even that amount of luck was being optimistic.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I warned y'all before the season began that this team would be lucky to finish 3rd in the conference. Looks like even that amount of luck was being optimistic.

Tara's first two seasons at Stanford (starting in '85) they finished 5th and then 6th in their conference. Starting with the 87-88 season they haven't finished lower then 3rd. That will probably end this season. Not really seeing them finish ahead of UCLA or either of the Oregon schools. Maybe Arizona St. and/or Cal finishes ahead of them too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Tara's first two seasons at Stanford (starting in '85) they finished 5th and then 6th in their conference. Starting with the 87-88 season they haven't finished lower then 3rd. That will probably end this season. Not really seeing them finish ahead of UCLA or either of the Oregon schools. Maybe Arizona St. and/or Cal finishes ahead of them too.

That's certainly how things are looking now, but with Stanford there's always the possibility that they get their key injured players back and things suddenly start clicking in January or February. I've seen Tara do that type of caterpillar-to-butterfly trick too many times to count her team completely out.

But there can be little doubt that UCLA, Oregon, and Oregon State look like the clear top 3 in the conference for now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I take no joy in the woes of Tara and The Trees. Great coach. Great history. Hopefully the ship will be stabilized.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
I think Stanford is out of top 25 now... with a loss to Tenn, it will be even worse / harder for them to climb back in...
I don't think they beat Tenn now, they (Tenn) are playing fairly well, and Stanford uses don't fair well against them (see last year, or any year the game is played at Tenn)...
Stanford will have opportunity to impress when league play starts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom