Stanford in a unique situation | The Boneyard

Stanford in a unique situation

Reaction Score

“Two of the four seniors, DiJonai Carrington and Anna Wilson, want to return next season as a medical redshirt. There is only scholarship space available for one of them. Wilson applied for the redshirt year before Carrington was lost for the season in November when aggravating a previous knee injury.”

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Gee, I wonder which one gets the scholarship between Carrington and Wilson? :rolleyes:

I will say, Wilson got better as the season went on and had some important games. Stanford is more stacked in the front court, but still, Carrington is the much better player. If Wilson wants to play another year, she probably needs to transfer.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Gee, I wonder which one gets the scholarship between Carrington and Wilson? :rolleyes:

I will say, Wilson got better as the season went on and had some important games. Stanford is more stacked in the front court, but still, Carrington is the much better player. If Wilson wants to play another year, she probably needs to transfer.

Could be an opening at her brother's alma mater.... the school in Raleigh

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
This is a unique situation for Stanford, as Tara always uses all her scholarships, unlike almost every other top program, so there's rarely room for unplanned wrinkles like this. I seriously doubt Tara & Staff would just summarily pick Carrington because she is more likely to be a major contributor, especially given Wilson's history, commitment, and previous failed effort to obtain a waiver.

If I had to guess, if Wilson is fortunate enough to be granted a waiver on her appeal, they will first see if there is a way one of them can be admitted to a co-term or master's program at Stanford that would independently provide financial aid. That would not be sustainable on a four-year basis but I suspect there might be a one-off possibility, as the university's graduate programs are not all need-based aid the way the undergrad is.

The one thing I don't know, but I assume someone around here does, is whether you can use a medical redshirt but then not be an athletic scholarship player? The other alternative, if not, would be to see if either one has another program they are eager to attend instead so everyone gets a happy ending.

Finally, this raises a related question: I know that players seeking a medical redshirt can only play in some relatively small percentage of their teams' games during a season. Is that denominator based on the regular season, or also the post-season? If the latter, does this potentially hurt any players who were injured early in the season and were counting on post-season runs to get them below that percentage?

(Clearly we have plenty of time for this kind of idle speculation now...)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wilson's brother makes millions of dollars.... maybe he can help his little sister pay for school next season.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Finally, this raises a related question: I know that players seeking a medical redshirt can only play in some relatively small percentage of their teams' games during a season. Is that denominator based on the regular season, or also the post-season? If the latter, does this potentially hurt any players who were injured early in the season and were counting on post-season runs to get them below that percentage?
I’m 99% certain the answer to latter question is no.

The postseason conference tournament adds 1 “contest” to the denominator, regardless of how many actual games are played. NCAA or WNIT or other similar tournaments are not accounted for.

For most elite teams the denominator ends up being 30 or 31 (depending on whether the regular season is 29 or 30 games). Medical hardship waiver requires no more than 30% of contests played and none after the midway point.

Reaction Score
I’m 99% certain the answer to latter question is no.

The postseason conference tournament adds 1 “contest” to the denominator, regardless of how many actual games are played. NCAA or WNIT or other similar tournaments are not accounted for.

For most elite teams the denominator ends up being 30 or 31 (depending on whether the regular season is 29 or 30 games). Medical hardship waiver requires no more than 30% of contests played and none after the midway point.
Plebe is correct in that 30% is the stated max threshold in order to have an athlete's request for a medical hardship approved. Exceptions have been granted by the NCAA for a hardship year for extended circumstances that have included a player missing major portions of two seasons. I think that Anna Wilson missed significant portions of her first two seasons at Stanford.

Utah's Danesha Provo started her career at Clemson, transferred to Utah, redshirted a season, and played 13 games as a redshirt senior for Utah in '18-'19 before tearing an ACL. The NCAA granted her a 6th year that she just completed in '19-'20. Her partial year at Clemson combined with her partial year at Utah appears to be the reason for the NCAA granting the 6th year.

I believe that Stanford's Nadia Fingall and Oregon State's Kat Tudor were injured on the same January 2019 date as Provo. Tudor applied for a medical hardship after playing 13 games last season and was denied by the NCAA.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Plebe is correct in that 30% is the stated max threshold in order to have an athlete's request for a medical hardship approved. Exceptions have been granted by the NCAA for a hardship year for extended circumstances that have included a player missing major portions of two seasons. I think that Anna Wilson missed significant portions of her first two seasons at Stanford.
Wilson didn't miss that much of her sophomore year: she played in 21 games total and (according to her bio) missed the last 7 games of the season.

In her freshman season she played only 6 games, which is well under the 30% limit. But some of those games were past the season midpoint; her last game was in mid-February. So she'll require a waiver to get that year back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom