Stanford Frosh Alex Green ruptures Achilles | The Boneyard

Stanford Frosh Alex Green ruptures Achilles

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
:( Poor thing. She tore her ACL last year in her senior year of HS (alum from my school!) and now this. Won't be making the trip to UConn. She can still redshirt, right?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Yes she can definitely redshirt if her season is over.

Reaction Score
If she has played in any games, she may not be able to redshirt. I think Stanford has To request it and the NCAA has to approve it after she has played in games.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i think they can redshirt if they are injured for the rest of the year and play less than a certain percentage of games for the year (maybe 20% or so)? not sure about the % - someone on here surely knows!!!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
i think they can redshirt if they are injured for the rest of the year and play less than a certain percentage of games for the year (maybe 20% or so)? not sure about the % - someone on here surely knows!!!
You're close Eric. Medical redshirts are granted (following application by the school) if the season-ending injury occurred in the first half of the season and the player played in less than 20% of the games for the year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You're close Eric. Medical redshirts are granted (following application by the school) if the season-ending injury occurred in the first half of the season and the player played in less than 20% of the games for the year.
got it thanks! i knew someone on here would have the figures off the top of their head! :)

anyway, hateful injury. best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Reaction Score
Hello Boneyard,
Long-time lurker here. Just wondering, how could this be? Didn't Caroline Doty play in 17 games before she was injured and receive the redshirt? That has to be more than 20% of games, even if you count the postseason.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No the red shirt was for last year when she played none. She lost the year as a frosh when she played 17 games. Played the whole sophomore year. Missed completely what would have been her Jr. year and this is what should have been her Sr. year but she still has a year of eligibility.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hello Boneyard,
Long-time lurker here. Just wondering, how could this be? Didn't Caroline Doty play in 17 games before she was injured and receive the redshirt? That has to be more than 20% of games, even if you count the postseason.
To piggy-back Icebear's post, Doty's freshman year was cut short, but it still counted as a year of eligibility, as did the full season 2009-10. She was injured prior to the start of 2010-11, and was able to redshirt as she had not done so previously. This was not something she had to apply to do. Medical redshirts are granted for kids who need a sixth year to play four. You can go five years to play four with no prior approval needed.

Caroline by season's end will have played three seasons in four years, and thus will have another year of eligibility left.

Reaction Score
I always hate to see a player hurt.
Best wishes to Alex for a speedy and complete recovery.

Reaction Score
You know your stuff ...

Medical Redshirt Seasons
In the case of a serious injury or illness, a basketball player can take a redshirt season even if the plaayer participated in games. Players are eligible for a redshirt season under the medical hardship rule if they sustain a season-ending injury or other medical condition, but the NCAA will grant the redshirt year only under two conditions. First, the injury must have happened in the first half of the team's season. Second, the player cannot have played in more than 20 percent of the games on the team's season schedule. The school's athletic conference and the NCAA will request medical documentation before allowing the redshirt season.​

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Best wishes to Alex. Sound painful.

Let me get this right: The Cardinal recruited both Orrange and Green? What, Stephanie White and Chante Black weren't available?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I just re-read the applicable NCAA By-Laws and the 20% of games hurdle has been raised to 30%. Also, "medical hardship waivers" (the actual NCAA lingo) are administered by member conferences on behalf of the NCAA. Requests from independents are reviewed and approved by an in-house Medical Injuries Requiring Rehabilitation sub-committee. (I couldn't make this stuff up.)

All varsity athletes have five years to complete 4 years of athletic elibility but this does not make the medical redshirt automatic. The extra year is to allow for government service, missionary work, etc. (Think BYU, for example.)

A sixth year is permissible if the athlete sustains two season-ending injuries and is subject to the other requirements.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Damn, if only we'd had Sue for that 2002-03 season. We mighta won a national championship or something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom