Stanford Dunk | The Boneyard

Stanford Dunk

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Belibi at 6'1" has hops!! She can make a dunk look like a layup. Dunking is very effortless for her. She's been dunking for a while. To her, it's no big deal. Players know this, and hope THEY are not posterized by her on a break-a-way dunk. :confused: No one wants THAT kind of notoriety.

Reaction Score
Belibi at 6'1" has hops!! She can make a dunk look like a layup. Dunking is very effortless for her. She's been dunking for a while. To her, it's no big deal. Players know this, and hope THEY are not posterized by her on a break-a-way dunk. :confused: No one wants THAT kind of notoriety.
I can’t believe she’s only 6’1”! She projects herself as being much taller.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I can’t believe she’s only 6’1”! She projects herself as being much taller.
The "scandal" is that she's 6'1" in sneaks. Folks who have been around her in person think she's a generous 6 feet. But her reach, springboard jump, and ability to palm the basketball more than make up for it - and truth be told, those other skills are what allow her to properly dunk in a contested game in a way I've rarely ever seen in the women's game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great confidence doing it in a contested game.

When you've dunked a hundred times or more in high school and AAU games, missing a dunk does not even enter your mind.........muscle memory. :) Like I said, dunking is as easy for her as making a lay up.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Meh...so she can dunk, it's a nice one-trick pony. All her other stats are underwhelming. She's averaging 16.9 min per game, she's ave 5.9 rebounds, 1.4 assists 1.1 turnovers, she's only had 3 blocks on the season and averages 11.1 points and may be supplanted by Cameron Brink as the starting center before long.

But by all means let's all go "ga ga" over her ability to dunk... :confused:

Reaction Score
Meh...so she can dunk, it's a nice one-trick pony. All her other stats are underwhelming. She's averaging 16.9 min per game, she's ave 5.9 rebounds, 1.4 assists 1.1 turnovers, she's only had 3 blocks on the season and averages 11.1 points and may be supplanted by Cameron Brink as the starting center before long.

But by all means let's all go "ga ga" over her ability to dunk... :confused:
R you serious?!? Her 2 dunks are more impressive than many other WBB stats bc besides her team winning & her “underwhelming” Individual stats she has a positive stat that no one else has achieved in many yrs in WBB ...give credit where credit is due. Surely if this was a UConn WBB player your enthusiasm would be different.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
You know from experience? :confused:

Griner at 6’8 doesn’t even dunk the ball very often, not often enough.

Griner has said that she gets much more pleasure from a block than from a dunk.

Geno said Stewie could dunk at will and just chose not to. I suspect the same is true of Griner.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
R you serious?!? Her 2 dunks are more impressive than many other WBB stats bc besides her team winning & her “underwhelming” Individual stats she has a positive stat that no one else has achieved in many yrs in WBB ...give credit where credit is due. Surely if this was a UConn WBB player your enthusiasm would be different.
No, no it wouldn’t. Dunking is the most “look at me” aspect there is in basketball almost as bad as the hotdogging after a home run. I watched Fran’s first dunk earlier this year and it was a nice but the continued hype was a tad much. Add in the fact that the PAC12 network showed her warmups last year numerous time trying to dunk was also excessive. I would rather she work on her other areas of the game to elevate her skills and the team.
As you know nothing about me, your assumptions on my views are wrong.

Reaction Score
No, no it wouldn’t. Dunking is the most “look at me” aspect there is in basketball almost as bad as the hotdogging after a home run. I watched Fran’s first dunk earlier this year and it was a nice but the continued hype was a tad much. Add in the fact that the PAC12 network showed her warmups last year numerous time trying to dunk was also excessive. I would rather she work on her other areas of the game to elevate her skills and the team.
As you know nothing about me, your assumptions on my views are wrong.
Sure

Reaction Score
Sure
Well can we agree that Fran could careless what either of us think of her dunking & not what either one of us would rather her work on in regards to her skill set(you nor I will ever hv anything to do with her performance on the court) For now, one of the most respected coaches(Tara) is tasked with that & seems to be ok with her dunking and also for now the media & plenty of WBB fans would agree it’s a fun & exciting thing to watch in WBB especially for the #1 ranked team. But your opinion is duly noted

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I always find it comical how fans go out of their way to post on threads like this and shame players for dunking. Let the girl have her moment and if you feel the need to chime in,, celebrate a rare athletic achievement that hasn't happened in almost 8 years and recognize that it brings more positive attention and publicity to the game. No reason to make condescending statements like:

1. how certain players can allegedly dunk at will but are 'above that' and choose not to

2. that dunking doesn't help the team (which is not true....it hypes up and energizes players and teammates far more than a layup does)

3. That it's somehow selfish and showboating. Compare that to players who make a flashy no look or behind the back pass, or those who announce their top 15 schools on social media, tweet out how honored they are to receive a scholarship offer from X school, or players that hold press conferences to announce where they're going to college or where they're transferring to.

4. Trashing her stats and claiming her starting spot is at risk. I mean really?? This is just petty @DefenseBB .

Reaction Score
I always find it comical how fans go out of their way to post on threads like this and shame players for dunking. Let the girl have her moment and if you feel the need to chime in,, celebrate a rare athletic achievement that hasn't happened in almost 8 years and recognize that it brings more positive attention and publicity to the game. No reason to make condescending statements like:

1. how certain players can allegedly dunk at will but are 'above that' and choose not to

2. that dunking doesn't help the team (which is not true....it hypes up and energizes players and teammates far more than a layup does)

3. That it's somehow selfish and showboating. Compare that to players who make a flashy no look or behind the back pass, or those who announce their top 15 schools on social media, tweet out how honored they are to receive a scholarship offer from X school, or players that hold press conferences to announce where they're going to college or where they're transferring to.

4. Trashing her stats and claiming her starting spot is at risk. I mean really?? This is just petty @DefenseBB .
I agree 100% with comment.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score

Petty? Well maybe Fran should focus all those practice dunks on rebounding, blocking shots and scoring as she is not doing so well in those categories. But hey, Stewie could dunk in practice so...

Reaction Score
2 dunks four points keep the line moving yawwwwwwn

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I assume you're referring to me since you cite dunking at will and choosing not to, and I was the one who cited Geno saying Stewie could. But you put "above that" in quotes, and you're the only person who's used that expression.

I never said anything about her being "above that". I have nothing against players dunking. In fact, in the same interview when Geno said Stewie could dunk at will, he said he was fine with it, she just apparently didn't feel like it. Nelson Ododa also chooses not to dunk.

I have nothing against it, just see it as two points as Zanzman does.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with her dunking or giving her props, but there comes a time when it is redundent. I have not been that much of a fan of hyping dunks in the NBA either. Or the posteriing picks. Often those are unfair to the defender. Like when a defender is attempting to defend a player who was not even their assignment and is trying correct another players mistake and just does not get their in time. Yet he is posterized for attempting a good defensive effort. It has come to the point where players just run away from defensive plays just to not be posterized

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom