Stanford drops to #6 on the AP poll after loss to Cal | The Boneyard

Stanford drops to #6 on the AP poll after loss to Cal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Apparently there's no consistent logic to the votes...it's all subjective.

ND beats us by 1 point in our house and leap frogs us by a spot. I don't disagree with that logic. Now Cal beats Stanford by 12 points in Maples and neither passes Stanford in the poll, nor moves up even one spot???

That's the first time I've seen Cal this year and was impressed. If that's the real Cal, then they're better than Kentucky, who I've seen a handful of times this season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

ND beats us by 1 point in our house and leap frogs us by a spot. I don't disagree with that logic. Now Cal beats Stanford by 12 points in Maples and neither passes Stanford in the poll, nor moves up even one spot???

That's the first time I've seen Cal this year and was impressed. If that's the real Cal, then they're better than Kentucky, who I've seen a handful of times this season.

It always has been subjective and not worth either credit to or worrying about.

Reaction Score
It always has been subjective and not worth either credit to or worrying about.

So then why bother responding?

Some of us do find it interesting.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

well, I am actually responding to your previous post and not this one which really doesn't need a response (ahem)

My apologies to the mis-naming. My screen is all messed up and the two names were squished together. I wasn't paying too much attention as I was listening to an online class at the time.

Thanks for pointing out my err-error

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

I was responding to Replicant not you. He noted the lack of apparent logic. I didn't say anyone shouldn't look at them or not enjoy doing so simply voiced an opinion that they deserve minimal credit or valadity and aren't worth worrying about. I felt such a response was within the realm of reasonable.

Reaction Score

Not completely logical, but not crazy either. Due to the wacky Pac12 schedule Stanford beat Cal @ Cal the previous game so they've split their series. I can understand why voters would still vote Stanford higher. ND/UConn was only 1 meeting. If they faced each other back to back and split I would think the team that started higher would remain there.

Reaction Score
I was responding to Replicant not you. He noted the lack of apparent logic. I didn't say anyone shouldn't look at them or not enjoy doing so simply voiced an opinion that they deserve minimal credit or valadity and aren't worth worrying about. I felt such a response was within the realm of reasonable.

Ah. Since I have Replicant on Ignore, his/her post didn't show and your entry came directly below RadyLady's, so it appeared to be a direct response to her.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was responding to Replicant not you. He noted the lack of apparent logic. I didn't say anyone shouldn't look at them or not enjoy doing so simply voiced an opinion that they deserve minimal credit or valadity and aren't worth worrying about. I felt such a response was within the realm of reasonable

It is neither logical nor reasonable to look at them, thus there can be no reasonable reply. But, darn, I love 'em anyway because it gives me one more thing to complain about besides burnt toast. I also enjoy your replies, reasonable or not, so keep 'em coming. BTW, who is # 17 this week?

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Not completely logical, but not crazy either. Due to the wacky Pac12 schedule Stanford beat Cal @ Cal the previous game so they've split their series. I can understand why voters would still vote Stanford higher. ND/UConn was only 1 meeting. If they faced each other back to back and split I would think the team that started higher would remain there.
I had considered that, but felt the Cal victory was so impressive and fresh on voters minds that it would at least move them up a spot. After all, that was the first time any PAC-12 team had defeated Stanford at Maples in approx. a decade. Should have been worthy of a some reward IMO.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I can completely understand why Stanford is still ahead of Cal. They do have more scalps on their resume (Baylor and Tenn), and they split last week. Hopefully they will meet again in the Pac 12 tournament with the winner getting either the #1 or #2 seed out West.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can completely understand why Stanford is still ahead of Cal. They do have more scalps on their resume (Baylor and Tenn), and they split last week. Hopefully they will meet again in the Pac 12 tournament with the winner getting either the #1 or #2 seed out West.
Duke will get the 1 seed out West and face Stanford. :)

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Explain how Kentucky beats #20 TA&M at home by 3 and is rewarded with a bump, while Cal beats #3 Stanford away by 12 and gets no love?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I agree. Other #1's are UConn, Baylor and ND. Other #2's look like KY, Maryland and maybe
LV's.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Meh..... how bout we get the #1 in Norfolk and let Stanford get the #2 and fly them fly east for a change :D

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree. Other #1's are UConn, Baylor and ND. Other #2's look like KY, Maryland and maybe
LV's.

Maryland is gonna falter.... they have two more regular season losses coming to them at the hands of the blue devils.... and they also have to go on the road to face FSU. They will lose at least 3 more times before the ACC tourney.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Maryland is gonna falter.... they have two more regular season losses coming to them at the hands of the blue devils.... and they also have to go on the road to face FSU. They will lose at least 3 more times before the ACC tourney.
No argument from me. I think LV's will falter as well. So #2's look like Stanford, Cal, PSU and KY.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No argument from me. So #2's look like Stanford, Cal, PSU and KY.

That looks likely.... #3's being UNC and then who knows... UCLA ??? Georgia ?? The SEC race is gonna be very entertaining.... not sure if Tenn and KY play once or twice in the regular season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meh..... how bout we get the #1 in Norfolk and let Stanford get the #2 and fly them fly east for a change :D
Some good team will get stuck with Cal or Stanford out West.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Cal has had decent (to good) recruiting classes recently. 2009 #4, 2010 #12, 2011 #7. They have some good players. They should be making some waves.

Reaction Score
Factoring out the #1 votes, the average vote rank for the top 6 teams (6 because 6 was 5 last week) are

AP

1) Baylor - 2.50
2) ND - 2.33
3) UConn - 3.26
4) Duke - 3.51
5) Kentucky - 5.58
6) Stanford - 6.33

USA

1) Baylor - 2.33
2) UConn - 2.57
3) ND - 2.77
4) Duke - 4.07
5) Kentucky - 5.65
6) Stanford - 5.74

Someone doesn't like Baylor but most like ND in the AP.

And Stanford plays a crazy schedule. Back to back against the same school in the same week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom