Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer receives new 3-year deal | The Boneyard

Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer receives new 3-year deal

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The article is an interesting glimpse of her. There are times I see her on the bench and wonder if she's going to fall off, if you get my meaning.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Tara has 21 more wins than Geno. Slowly but surely Geno has been closing on Tara at a rate of 4-6 wins per year or so. If they both continue to coach and win at their present rates, Geno would pass Tara in 4-5 seasons.

Reaction Score
The article is an interesting glimpse of her. There are times I see her on the bench and wonder if she's going to fall off, if you get my meaning.
Yup. She's only a year older than Geno chronologically, but seems a lot more than that in comportment.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I was reminded of yesterday, she does have 5 McDonald's AA's (2 Fr/3 Soph) so this was/is a logical step. I respect her immensely and I have no problem rooting for her against the vast majority of teams. She belongs on the Women's Mt Rushmore of Basketball Coaches.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As I was reminded of yesterday, she does have 5 McDonald's AA's (2 Fr/3 Soph) so this was/is a logical step. I respect her immensely and I have no problem rooting for her against the vast majority of teams. She belongs on the Women's Mt Rushmore of Basketball Coaches.
Absolutely one of the great coaches in CBB ever and just a great lady. When it's finally said and done she, Geno and Pat Summitt will have the most salient heads on that mountainside.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tara has 21 more wins than Geno. Slowly but surely Geno has been closing on Tara at a rate of 4-6 wins per year or so. If they both continue to coach and win at their present rates, Geno would pass Tara in 4-5 seasons.

My guess is it'll be sooner than that and he may eclipse Pat's record before Tara does. UCONN has been averaging 8.5 wins per person more than Stanford over the last 4 years. I think most people expect UCONN to run the table this year (and likely next year), while Stanford looks good but not great on paper, and they play in a tough Pac 12 and schedule solid OOC opponents year in and year out. My guess is he overtakes Tara and Pat's record in 2019-2020.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My guess is it'll be sooner than that and he may eclipse Pat's record before Tara does. UCONN has been averaging 8.5 wins per person more than Stanford over the last 4 years. I think most people expect UCONN to run the table this year (and likely next year), while Stanford looks good but not great on paper, and they play in a tough Pac 12 and schedule solid OOC opponents year in and year out. My guess is he overtakes Tara and Pat's record in 2019-2020.
I went back and looked at the numbers. You’re probably correct. I was using “fuzzy math.”

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well deserved and congrats to my 2nd favorite HC in all WCBB.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Why all the TVD love? I don't really get it.

Maybe it has something to do w/ the 1,000+ career wins, 12 Final 4's and 2 Championships? For anywhere not named Geno Auriemma that's pretty darn good. Seems to be generally very well liked within the coaching profession, I cant ever recall hearing an ill word spoken against her. She seems like someone that's easy to root for or at least appreciate, even if Stanford isn't your team.

Reaction Score
A true professional, keeping her ego in check while putting competitive teams on the floor, year after year. And no disparaging of a rival coach named Auriemma.
Only of a popular star college player named Lobo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom