Stanford @ California- 2/17/18 | The Boneyard

Stanford @ California- 2/17/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hard for any team to win a home and away separated by 2 days but Cal seems out of it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
In the first game, Stanford was cruising, up by about 15 well into the 4th quarter. Cal closed to within 4. This game might be interesting.

Anigwe wasn't very productive. She seems to have taken a fairly big step backward this year.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, NW-
1. Thank you for all the Friday night updates, I was pre-occupied last night on other family college sports so I was not able to actively participant as much as I would have liked to.
2. What's up with Gottlieb at Cal? She was everyone's darling with Boyle's recruits during their FF run with much fanfare of the "Changing of the Guard in the PAC 12" and her supplanting Tara. That hasn't happened, nor should anyone reasonably think it should have and all of her teams seem to be middling. Now Oregon, OSU, UCLA and the aforementioned Stanford are well ahead of Cal in recruits and standing. With Anigwe's class failing here, I am lowering my view of Lindsay as a coach...thoughts?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I didn't follow Cal's Final 4 run very closely. In retrospect it was probably just catching lightning in a bottle and can't be repeated. I think she's shown herself to be an average coach as time has gone on. Opinions on this board vary but I think Close is also average at best in the coaching department.

It's kinda funny how many coaches/teams were supposed to be catching up to and passing Tara over the years. Before Gottlieb, Boyle had some good teams at Cal. They were threatening Stanford but didn't ever pass them, and then she left.

CTT at ASU was neck and neck w/ Stanford for several years. They've been up and down since but have generally faded somewhat.

OSU's recruiting is not on par w/ Stanford's. Bringing in talent is obviously paramount in maintaining a successful program over time. The Beavers did win the conference regular season crown 3 years in a row (shared 1 w/ ASU, 2 were outright), so Rueck can claim that. Something none of the other coaches mentioned can claim.

Graves and Oregon were the new hot thing after last year's unexpected Elite 8 run. They've definitely taken another step forward this year, but there's Stanford tied w/ them at the top of the standings in what looked like a disastrous year in November and December for the Cards.

So to sum up, Gottlieb was overrated after the Final 4 run and has shown what kind of a coach she is since then, and Stanford is going to be relevant and right in the thick of the Pac 12 race on an annual basis as long as Tara is there.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
So...nobody watching? I got a late start, caught up on DVR. Cal up 36-34 at halftime. Back and forth game. ESPN's box score is totally jacked up. McPhee has 15 not 12, Smith hit at least one 3 and she definitely has more than 8 shot attempts. I don't think Wilson has played, yet alone taken 3 shots. Pretty sure Williams has 7 points not 5. Somebody over there has no idea what they are doing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cal's guards Thomas and Smith have looked good. Anigwe's energy level is better today than what I've seen lately.

Cal has a player named Jaelyn Brown. That is SUCH a trip because they had a Jaylen Brown on the men's team a few years ago, now w/ the Boston Celtics. How many other schools have had 2 players w/ the same name within a couple years of each other, one playing for the men's team and the other for the women's? I would guess none.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ha. ESPN fixed some of the stats but they are still wrong. Now have K. Williams w/ 2 points.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
8-0 run by Cal to start Q3, now up 44-34.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What the hell? Somebody at ESPN is on drugs today. Now they've changed the halftime score to 41-35 Stanford. That is completely wrong. They keep changing the box score constantly but it keeps being wrong whatever they change it to. I can't remember ever seeing anything like this going on before.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
McPhee is having to do it by herself, the rest of the 'Furd are struggling. She has 20. Cal leading 48-39.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
57-46 Cal. Ref review, I think Anigwe is gonna get a T. I don't remember her being like this before, but she's kind of a punk this year. Don't like her attitude/demeanor.

edited--never mind, I was wrong, no T

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
59-48 after 3Q. Stanford looks bad. Shooting 33% from the floor. McPhee has scored half of their points. Hard to believe this is the same team that swept the Oregon schools on the road a couple weeks ago.

Cal is getting balanced scoring, but Asha Thomas has been spearheading the way so far.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
7-0 run by Stanford in the first 2 1/2 minutes of Q4. 59-55, timeout Cal.

Reaction Score
What the hell? Somebody at ESPN is on drugs today. Now they've changed the halftime score to 41-35 Stanford. That is completely wrong. They keep changing the box score constantly but it keeps being wrong whatever they change it to. I can't remember ever seeing anything like this going on before.

How are the stats I posted above?
Live Stats

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford closed to 62-60, but Thomas hit a long 3 as the shot clock was expiring. 65-60 3:33 left.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
How are the stats I posted above?
Live Stats

Yeah I switched to that. Even they were a little confused. They took a bucket away from McPhee late in the game and finally game credit to K. Williams for a 3 I was sure I saw her hit. So bizarre nobody can get the box score correct today.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's raining 3's. 71-63 1:18 left.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
McPhee has gone cold. She's really not a particularly good 3 point shooter.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Couple more missed 3's for Stanford, Cal going back to the FT line, 52.8 sec. left. This is about over.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UCLA @ Oregon was gonna be big anyway, but now it either means Oregon will be back in sole possession of 1st place, or a 3 way tie again.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford made a run in the 4th, but overall dreadful shooting performance from them today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom