Stanford (6) @ Arizona St (19) - 1/11/19 | The Boneyard

Stanford (6) @ Arizona St (19) - 1/11/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Will be fun to see how Ekmark does. Always like seeing how kids who transferred out now fare at their new schools. Courtney is the 2nd leading scorer on the team at 10.5 PPG and plays 25+ MPG. She played "well" vs. Baylor scoring 13 points, but against L'ville, she was 2-12 with 6 points. It will be interesting to see how she does as ASU faces 4 consecutive top 25 teams (Stanford, Cal, Oregon and OSU). Rooting for her to do well, but I suspect ASU will go 0-4 over the next week and half...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I suspect ASU will go 0-4 over the next week and half...

You don't think ASU can take care of Cal in Tempe? Cal has been struggling significantly. ASU had a tough time but pulled off a pair of road wins last week. Utah may very well be a better team than Cal, forget about rankings. Also OSU didn't look all that great in beating the Washington schools in Corvallis, two of the weaker teams in the conference. ASU could possibly split this 4 game stretch.

Reaction Score
I have tix to tonight’s ASU-Stanford game, but flu bug (or cold?) just won’t go away, so probably have to watch it on TV. Eckmark turned out to be a good player, but ASU just doesn’t play with that ‘UConn’ intensity, and Eck didn’t bring any of it with her. She’s so skinny now it’s a little scary.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with the previous poster in terms of ASU chances over the next four games. While winning two games on the road in the Pac-12 is laudable Utah and Colorado are not strong teams and are at the bottom of our conference. ASU did not look good against either team winning in a miracle finish against Utah and really playing lousy for three and a half quarters against Colorado. To have a prayer of staying within 25 against Stanford Kianna Ibis will need a monster game. ASU just does not have the size to match up with Stanford no one will be able to contain Smith. And our loss to the University of Arizona revealed our vulnerability to speed. The quick Stanford guards looked at had a very big evening against us. The one chance for a victory in the next four will be Sunday against Cal. Assuming Anigwe plays her usual game and the Cal guards offer any assistance I would see Cal winning that game by 5 or 6. Interesting post sbout how skinny Courtney has gotten. I think the demands of law school, her church work and the rigorous practices at ASU are starting to have a toll on her. Her three-point shooting is down from last year as is her free throw shooting. That said she does provide strong leadership on the court while playing out of position. Her lack of speed will be revealed in tonight's game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Will be fun to see how Ekmark does. Always like seeing how kids who transferred out now fare at their new schools. Courtney is the 2nd leading scorer on the team at 10.5 PPG and plays 25+ MPG. She played "well" vs. Baylor scoring 13 points, but against L'ville, she was 2-12 with 6 points. It will be interesting to see how she does as ASU faces 4 consecutive top 25 teams (Stanford, Cal, Oregon and OSU). Rooting for her to do well, but I suspect ASU will go 0-4 over the next week and half...
She had a nightmare game in the loss at Arizona, 1-10 shooting. She's kinda up and down against the good teams.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Massey has this game as a narrow Stanford road win (by 1.5 points). I would have thought the predicted margin would be wider, as Massey's program doesn't know about Stanford's injury woes. Against ASU (especially at home), it's nice to have depth. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sun Devils prevail.

Reaction Score
This weekend, there are many PAC-12 games that will reveal a good amount about the conference. Oregon schools are in So. Cal this weekend, and that won't be a picnic. I think the PAC-12 will end up being a lot like what we have seen in the BIG10. Anyone can win on anyone's court on any given night/day.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with that assessment of Utah.
University of Utah has a fine program. I was just pointing out they are in the bottom of the strong Pac-12 conference. Currently their RPI of 52 is sixth behind Stanford -3- Oregon -6-Arizona State -13-Cal -22- Southern California 46.

As I said in my previous post I fully expect ASU to lose both games this weekend to Stanford and Cal and both games next weekend to Oregon and Oregon State. This weekend Utah will play the Washington schools with a realistic chance of a split on the road.

Current bracketology for what it's worth has the Pac-12 with six teams in. UCLA rather than Southern Cal making the field. The first four teams out include both Utah and Arizona. Both Utah and Arizona are similar and having seen ASU play both I think I might give the nod to Arizona. Certainly after this weekend we will know more about Arizona which has to play the two northern California schools, Utah, and ASU.

in summary Utah has a fine program playing in one of the premier women's basketball division 1 conferences. I think performance and history shows that Utah would be in the bottom third of the Pac-12. And there is no shame in this.

Reaction Score
This weekend, there are many PAC-12 games that will reveal a good amount about the conference. Oregon schools are in So. Cal this weekend, and that won't be a picnic. I think the PAC-12 will end up being a lot like what we have seen in the BIG10. Anyone can win on anyone's court on any given night/day.
Outstanding observations. I would expect Oregon to sweep the Southern California schools, Oregon State may have trouble with UCLA and split. The northern California schools on the other hand during their swing through Arizona may both sweep. I doubt that Stanford any trouble with ASU or the University of Arizona. Cal of course is anybody's guess depending upon whether Anigwe decides to show up.

ASU has significantly underperformed in its last three games, scoring 39 in a loss to Az and Giving up 63 and 70 well above the season average defensively to Utah and Colorado. They should not have beaten Utah but the miracle comeback was one for the books.ASU has injuries as well which may not have been well-publicized. Robbie Ryan who I think is the real Spirit of the team after the transfer of Sabrina Haines to Kentucky has been battling a foot injury all year. Courtney Elkmark in addition to the woes you pointed out has been battling knee issues. Both Reilli Richardson and Kiki Russell our outstanding point guard have been nicked up which is the rule in the Pac-12 conference. Look for Smith to have a huge game tonight I would expect a significant double double. And as I said before the quickness of the Stanford guard is going to really bedevil the Sun Devil backcourt. Can't wait for the game however. Its a blackout so I have my black ASU t-shirt on and I can't wait to leave for the game.

Reaction Score
You don't think ASU can take care of Cal in Tempe? Cal has been struggling significantly. ASU had a tough time but pulled off a pair of road wins last week. Utah may very well be a better team than Cal, forget about rankings. Also OSU didn't look all that great in beating the Washington schools in Corvallis, two of the weaker teams in the conference. ASU could possibly split this 4 game stretch.
I would be ecstatic if we got a split this weekend. Anigwe is a real enigma. If she shows up and plays with passion and under control no one on the ASU side of the ball can contain here. Think Brown and Cox in the second half in the Rumble on the Rez. However she seems to be a little bit of a head case and moody. remember she went to high school here in the valley of the Sun and should have family and friends sitting in the stands. In the past just hasn't seemed to made a big difference but as a senior perhaps she's going to pull it together for a big game against the devils in her hometown. We do have a chance depending upon what happens with Cal down the road in Tucson. I think if Arizona rises up and gives them a hard time it'll get the attention of the Cal coach and the team.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I don't agree with that assessment of Utah.
I agree. Utah is presently ranked 18th in Massey. They're one spot out of the NCAA (according to Bracketology) because they haven't had any good wins (best is most recent game vs. Arizona). It's possible their ranking is just because they beat up on a weak OOC schedule (MOV is huge with Massey), but we'll see over the next month. Right now I would project them for the NCAA tourney.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not gonna go through each post, I'll just respond to several things and share some thoughts.

Utah has not thrived in the Pac 12, but I think this may be the best team they've had since joining the league. Currently I would not classify them as bottom of the conference, they're at least in the middle and might even finish in the upper third. They did thrash Arizona (16 point final margin is misleading, they were up 30 in the 2nd half) recently.

I didn't see much action from the opening half week (half of the teams playing their rivalry game), but I watched a bunch of games last weekend. Out of 12 games, all but 2 were close well into the 2nd half. I don't think there's much reason to assume anybody is going to have an easy time in the majority of games. Stanford had their hands full at home against both USC and UCLA. There's simply no reason to think they're going to waltz thru the State of Arizona and get two easy wins. They could potentially lose either one of those games. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cal goes 0-2 on the swing. Also Utah has more than a decent chance of splitting their road trip to Washington. While both UW and WSU proved they weren't hapless on the Oregon swing, Utah could win both of those games. We'll see. This year might have more bunched up standings and less separation for the top 4-5 teams than we've seen for quite a while.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
it'll get the attention of the Cal coach and the team

The home loss to Harvard didn't get their attention? They followed that up with a home loss to UCLA and close win over USC.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ASU is going with the throwing up bricks off the backboard but grab O boards until eventually get a shot to go in approach. They play an ugly brand of basketball, but they're tough to play against.

I didn't know CTT was still doing hockey line changes. 5 subs all at once. Tara has been subbing liberally too but not all at once.

Tied at 7 about 5 minutes in. Not pleasing to watch.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ASU has 7 O boards in the first 5 minutes of the game. Wow! Stanford has to get that under control.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford is 3-5 ASU is 3-12. One way to stay in a game when you can't shoot.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I know she's a good player....but every time I watch Kiana Williams it seems like she's missing shots or turning it over.

18-9 Stanford. ASU can't hit anything, 4-17.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Still ugly. 10 O boards for ASU, 7 turnovers for Stanford. Should be a blowout but it's still 7 points. Stanford shooting 54% ASU 23%! And most of those misses have been bad, not even close. A bunch of air balls, hitting the wrong side of the backboard, just horrendous shooting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Some Keystone Cops action there. 3 Cardinal fall down trying to grab a rebound, ASU scoops it up for an uncontested layup. 24-15.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ASU actually hit 2 shots in a row. Cut a 12 point lead down to 7. 29-22.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Williams with a driving layup just before the buzzer, 34-22 at halftime. ASU shooting 10-36 (28%).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom