Stanford (3) @ Oregon St (8) - 1/19/20 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Stanford (3) @ Oregon St (8) - 1/19/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I don’t think OSU will lose any ground in the Top 25. Might they rise?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great win by Stanford. Was rooting for them. After the smackdown by Oregon, wasn't sure what their response would be. Great seeing the Pac-12 cannibalize itself. Gives UCONN a better shot at a 1-seed.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Maybe this is just me, but, unless it's the UCONN of old, getting up big in the first quarter too often seems to be "fools gold" for a lot of teams. That was true of both Oregon losses and Washington and Oregon State today. Given that, I'd much prefer a close game throughout the quarter or maybe even a small deficit over what looks like the beginning of a blowout.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
@jonson you might be onto something. You want to be behind early, get the other team right where you want them. :rolleyes:

Ideally a team can hold a lead once they build it, but UW clearly cannot do that, blowing leads is their M.O. this year. OSU I would trust more w/ a lead, but obviously not the case today.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Jones was backpedaling and her feet got tangled up. Looked like non-contact.

Being helped off the court, not putting weight on her right leg. Not good.
There was definitely contact on the play. In fact Brown got away with an offensive foul there.

Reaction Score
There was definitely contact on the play. In fact Brown got away with an offensive foul there.
You may be right. I was seated behind near the fall. The problem was the refs were terrible, not calling anything and players were hitting the ground a lot because there were no fouls being called. In fact only 8 total fouls, both teams, were called through 3 whole quarters. My feeling the refs had no control of the game which resulted in Jones injury. In the 4th qtr they finally called fouls-12 in that final qtr,

Tara was smart enough to adjust amd they played far more physical which got them back in the game. Scott didn't do that since he doesn't have the quality depth that Stanford has (9 McDonald AAs).

Reaction Score
Disagree. I thought Haley Jones was flopping at first on that play. Remember that the refs called very few fouls in the game until later in the fourth quarter. That contact was nominal based upon would had been allowed all game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mary Murphy is loved by many but I had to mute sound during the second period. Her endless chatter about nothing drives me crazy. Sometimes I wonder how she has a second to inhale.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don’t think OSU will lose any ground in the Top 25. Might they rise?

Good call. I didn't expect that but you are correct.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Definitely not an offensive foul on Brown.
I don't agree. Replay convinced me that Jones beats her to the spot. Brown puts shoulder to chest and displaces her.

About that there's room for disagreement. But for lord's sake, it wasn't a flop and it wasn't a non-contact injury.

Reaction Score
I don't agree. Replay convinced me that Jones beats her to the spot. Brown puts shoulder to chest and displaces her.

About that there's room for disagreement. But for lord's sake, it wasn't a flop and it wasn't a non-contact injury.
I watched my DVR of that play several times. And you must factor in how the game was officiated. Very few fouls were called in the first three quarters.

Jones stepped back and out of bounds following initial contact from Brown. It really was nominal contact compared to the bumping that had been allowed defensively to that point. It appears to me that her knee injury occurred when she made a misstep backing up on the attempted charge. The contact from Brown caused Jones to step backward and then a subsequent step appeared to be associated with the knee buckling.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I knew UCLA’s loss was much worse than ORST’s

I think the pollsters reluctantly moved UCLA up the previous week because so many teams above them lost. They were probably happy to bump them back down again. Their OOC wasn't great, but they sure were slow to move up in the rankings considering they were the last unbeaten.

Reaction Score
OSU ice cold, 1 bucket in 4 1/2 minutes this quarter. Looking awful. Goodman and Tudor have both gone from great 3 point shooters to can't hit the broad side of a barn.
Pivec is the team's highest percentage 3-point shooter, but she doesn't take nearly enough of them and distributes frequently to her teammates on the perimeter. She needs to take more shots because she is very efficient from the field and beyond the arc. Sometimes she is too unselfish in getting open looks for teammates when they are struggling from the field. OSU's offense struggles when she is passing too much.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pivec is the team's highest percentage 3-point shooter, but she doesn't take nearly enough of them

She's always been picky about taking 3's, which is probably part of why she hits them at a high clip. I was surprised she took a couple right out of the gate this game.

Reaction Score
She's always been picky about taking 3's, which is probably part of why she hits them at a high clip. I was surprised she took a couple right out of the gate this game.
I think that it is less about being picky and more about the team's offensive schemes being designed to get open threes for her teammates who don't drive to the basket effectively. OSU does have very good shooting guards, but two of them have been in shooting slumps and don't shoot many twos off the dribble.

If Pivec attempted more threes, I think that the Beavers would be more efficient offensively.

Reaction Score
I wish Rueck would let Pivec have the green light to take over like we saw Destiny do in the 1st half. Stanford shut Destiny down in the secomd half. The game got bogged down with the physical play but Pivec could have done more. I was very disappointed in her game.

Reaction Score
I wish Rueck would let Pivec have the green light to take over like we saw Destiny do in the 1st half. Stanford shut Destiny down in the secomd half. The game got bogged down with the physical play but Pivec could have done more. I was very disappointed in her game.
Pivec seems to always play within the OSU team structure and is a bit too selective when she chooses to shoot, often passing up quality shots to try to get better ones for her teammates. I agree that Pivec's mid-range game could have tipped the game in OSU's favor in the fourth quarter. She has bailed OSU out at the end of games many times the past two seasons. Would love to see her take 15 shots per game.

Reaction Score
Taking over games works for the fans of the players when they are hot. However, players are not always hot and when that happens the offensive synchronicity is lost and it takes a while to get other players involved. The best and most efficient teams have balanced scoring. One reason that Slocum has improved this season is that she is more apt to get her points within the context of the offense, rather than just looking for an opportunity for herself every time she has the ball. There is a time to work for your own shot and a time when not too. The smart players know when each is.

While it is true that Goodman and Tudor are in a 3pt shooting slump, things have a way of evening out through the season. Scott is less worried about the games now than he is getting the team at max efficiency in March. Tudor probably came back too early, but the aim now is to have her ready come March. As to Goodwin she is a puzzlement as to her play. I can remember two years ago when Corosdale couldn't buy a 3 pointer most of the year, but she came alive in the playoffs. I also remember when Wiese carried the team all year with her outside shooting and then went cold during the playoffs and the team was so used to her carrying the team that they seemed lost in respect to other options. OS had a big lead on Florida St but allowed it to slip way. They were a better team than FS and would have presented a better matchup to South Carolina who FS almost beat. Wiese was O-11 on 3pt shots. They had other options but were waiting for Wiese to take over. A horrible example of a stagnated offense because of reliance on one player.

Reaction Score
Taking over games works for the fans of the players when they are hot. However, players are not always hot and when that happens the offensive synchronicity is lost and it takes a while to get other players involved. The best and most efficient teams have balanced scoring. One reason that Slocum has improved this season is that she is more apt to get her points within the context of the offense, rather than just looking for an opportunity for herself every time she has the ball. There is a time to work for your own shot and a time when not too. The smart players know when each is.

While it is true that Goodman and Tudor are in a 3pt shooting slump, things have a way of evening out through the season. Scott is less worried about the games now than he is getting the team at max efficiency in March. Tudor probably came back too early, but the aim now is to have her ready come March. As to Goodwin she is a puzzlement as to her play. I can remember two years ago when Corosdale couldn't buy a 3 pointer most of the year, but she came alive in the playoffs. I also remember when Wiese carried the team all year with her outside shooting and then went cold during the playoffs and the team was so used to her carrying the team that they seemed lost in respect to other options. OS had a big lead on Florida St but allowed it to slip way. They were a better team than FS and would have presented a better matchup to South Carolina who FS almost beat. Wiese was O-11 on 3pt shots. They had other options but were waiting for Wiese to take over. A horrible example of a stagnated offense because of reliance on one player.
Your OSU history above is accurate. Goodman is a high quality shooter and shot very well the first 6-7 games this season, especially in the preseason WNIT. We know that she is pressing. Hopefully, her confidence will return soon. Speculation is that Tudor may return to the starting five and allow Goodman to come off the bench again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom