Stanford: #1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stanford: #1

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree that Stanford has underwhelmed both for what you think a No. 1 should look like and also relative to the team at full strength, but it's worth noting that our second-leading scorer from last season, Carrington, had to sit for the entire tournament with an injury, Fingall is still recovering from her ACL tear and has been on minutes-restriction most of the season, and even Haley Jones was injured over the summer and didn't dress for early season practices, and Jump missed at least one game this season with a broken nose (that's still healing). That's on top of Dodson. So the team has not been at full strength at all this season, and therefore hard to measure their ceiling.
How/ were was Jones injured?

Reaction Score
How do you drop from fourth to seventh if you're winning? Has it been smooth all the time? No. However, they are working hard and won their last game without their leader.
...and not playing. ;)

Reaction Score
The name alone got them fourth place which maybe has not yet been earned. The AP writers have been deferential from their first vote.

Let's assume that is correct, you don't believe some of the top 10 teams have not gotten there on name alone...only UConn?

As you say, the AP have been deferential from their "first vote". Let's go back to the AP's first vote, I'm sure the AP and all of us knew the first two teams in the poll were #1 Oregon and #2 Baylor. From #3 to #10, you don't believe they were voted there due in part of the name on their jersey's?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, at this point in the season much of this discussion is premature. But here’s when it will no longer be premature. UConn WBB has not lost a game in the state of CT in almost 6 years. If that streak continues through the first week of February, the Huskies will legitimately have a claim to the #1 ranking in the nation.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I reading these posts and I do not believe LVille should be number 1 . If Cal Baptist beat Stanford where would you rank them? LVille was preseason somewhere around 7/8. They beat a top team so do they move up 7/8 spots. No way. The top teams are Oregon Baylor Stanford and UConn and based on injuries, healing of those injuries so they can play again and the development of underclassmem that will change.

We are still early season and teams struggle to get through injuries and develop freshman as they learn to play as a team. For me I look at the talent of the starters, and the games played and the rest of the schedule to determine who's at the top. With Cox Baylor is really good. Stanford without injuries is really good, Oregon has a great nucleus from last season and is really good and UConn has their core 4 who can light it up at anytime. Oregon St Miss St and South Carolina will get better.

Now on my UConn Huskies. I preached this alot. When Makurat starts hitting her shots and we all know she is a very good shooter look out. That will give Geno 5 double diget scorers and 4 reliable outside shooters. Irwin off the bench is solid and Griff is coming along with great potential. UConn will be scoring over 80 pts a game. The next 2 weeks will tell us alot about this UConn team and where they are right now. With Depaul and ND coming up. Then after New Years we've got Baylor Tenn Oregon South Carolina and 2 games with South Florida. That will be tells us exactly where we are.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Just think that Oregon, though they lost, are the best team around, and Louisville needs to prove it can do it again.

Stanford has earned at least the #2. Indeed, South Carolina, Baylor and Florida State have all earned higher rankings than UConn. UConn (#7 in my book) lost two All-Americans and replaced them with a moderately regarded freshman, and a European who has been misfiring on the court. And after a half dozen desultory efforts against middling opponents, we just have not earned a higher rank. Florida State, with their takedown of Texas A&M and Chennedy Carter, earned their #6 ranking, ahead of so far untested UConn.

The interesting part is the lower half. With one loss on the season, and by just a bucket to DePaul, I have Northwestern ranked #25. And with a strong 6'5" post player from the Constitution State, they have to be taken seriously. LSU has been strong. And Florida Gulf Coast has earned a ranking as well, as has Princeton. Normally an Ivy would be viewed askance, but with Bella Alarie, they're for real. Gonzaga has proved itself so far, and Tennessee not only has height and talent, but a new coach. Not saying it will all be beer and skittles for them, but they're performing like a team that's putting their sordid past behind them.

We could see a lot of movement, but that's my two cents.
"Louisville needs to prove it can do it again. " Really? That's your two cents? I think we have been shortchanged!

Reaction Score
AP Top 25 — Week of Dec. 2
Team (record) (spots moved)
  1. Stanford (8-0)(+3)
  2. Louisville (8-0)(+6)
  3. Oregon (6-1)(-2)
  4. UConn (6-0)(—)
  5. Oregon State (7-0)(+2)
  6. South Carolina (8-1)(-1)
  7. Baylor (7-1)(-5)
  8. Florida State (7-0)(+4)
  9. Maryland (7-1)(—)
  10. Mississippi State (8-1)(—)
  11. UCLA (7-0)(—)
  12. Texas A&M (5-1)(-6)
  13. NC State (8-0)(—)
  14. Indiana (6-1)(+3)
  15. Kentucky (7-0)(-1)
  16. DePaul (6-1)(—)
  17. Tennessee (7-0)(+3)
  18. Gonzaga (6-1)(+4)
  19. Michigan State (6-1)(+4)
  20. Arizona (7-0)(+4)
  21. Miami (5-2)(-2)
  22. Missouri State (7-1)(NR)
  23. Arkansas (7-1)(+2)
  24. Michigan (6-1)(NR)
  25. LSU (7-1)(NR)
Receiving votes: Syracuse, Florida Gulf Coast, South Dakota, West Virginia, Minnesota, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Rutgers, Northwestern, Purdue, Colorado, Creighton, TCU, Drake.

Heck, rank us 8th, I like coming from behind, climbing the ladder. Let's wear the chip and wait.

Reaction Score
UConn is just about where they should be now and well-positioned for where they would like to be for the schedule ahead.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Now on my UConn Huskies. I preached this alot. When Makurat starts hitting her shots and we all know she is a very good shooter look out. That will give Geno 5 double diget scorers and 4 reliable outside shooters. Irwin off the bench is solid and Griff is coming along with great potential. UConn will be scoring over 80 pts a game. The next 2 weeks will tell us alot about this UConn team and where they are right now. With Depaul and ND coming up. Then after New Years we've got Baylor Tenn Oregon South Carolina and 2 games with South Florida :oops:. US National Team. That will be tells us exactly where we are.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And most teams have played ranked foes at this point in the season. Not ripping on UCONN since they obviously schedule tough, but their schedule to start the year hasn't been the most challenging while other teams are playing better and should be rewarded for winning big games, especially when UCONN hasn't looked that great.

Hmmm, well according to Massey's SOS

Oregon - #3
Notre Dame - #4
UCONN - #5
Louisville - #6
Stanford - #8
Miss St - #26
Baylor - #29
Oregon St - #32

So they've scheduled as well as anyone.

Oh yea, just for you

Tennessee - #196

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Hmmm, well according to Massey's SOS

Oregon - #3
Notre Dame - #4
UCONN - #5
Louisville - #6
Stanford - #8
Miss St - #26
Baylor - #29
Oregon St - #32

So they've scheduled as well as anyone.

Oh yea, just for you

Tennessee - #196

UCONN's top team they've faced has a Massey rating of 39 and the lowest is 104. Beating unranked teams doesn't get you a #1 ranking. Beating teams ranked in the top 10 does. Other programs have all scheduled at least a couple of teams ranked significantly lower than 104 which hurts their Massey SOS. That's why voters are putting Louisville and Stanford ahead of UCONN despite Massey. Also why I'd put Oregon State ahead of UCONN. Eye test and production in challenging games.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Let's assume that is correct, you don't believe some of the top 10 teams have not gotten there on name alone...only UConn?

As you say, the AP have been deferential from their "first vote". Let's go back to the AP's first vote, I'm sure the AP and all of us knew the first two teams in the poll were #1 Oregon and #2 Baylor. From #3 to #10, you don't believe they were voted there due in part of the name on their jersey's?
Only in the case of UCONN. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UCONN's top team they've faced has a Massey rating of 39 and the lowest is 104. Beating unranked teams doesn't get you a #1 ranking. Beating teams ranked in the top 10 does. Other programs have all scheduled at least a couple of teams ranked significantly lower than 104 which hurts their Massey SOS. That's why voters are putting Louisville and Stanford ahead of UCONN despite Massey. Also why I'd put Oregon State ahead of UCONN. Eye test and production in challenging games.
I'm not saying UCONN should be ranked #1 (or 2 or 3). I'm just setting you straight in your mistatement that UCONN's schedule hasn't been the most challenging. Reality would disagree with you.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm not saying UCONN should be ranked #1 (or 2 or 3). I'm just setting you straight in your mistatement that UCONN's schedule hasn't been the most challenging. Reality would disagree with you.

If you use Massey ratings through less than a month of the year, then sure. If you look at the quality of top teams they've faced compared to other top teams, it has been far from the most challenging. UCONN is the only team in the top 10 to have not faced a top 25 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom