standing around! | The Boneyard

standing around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Frustrated with uconn players standing around.. this lack of movement will kill us in the BE

Reaction Score
It is Manuel's fault! If Ollie had a long term contract the players would want to move more!

Reaction Score
Frustrated with uconn players standing around.. this lack of movement will kill us in the BE

This is something that concerns me about KO's coaching so far. I was hoping he would be a breath of fresh air -- a former point guard who would implement a heady offense that masks our weaknesses. Instead, it's the same crap we've seen the last 4 years.

Reaction Score
I am be a bit emotional given all of the recent disappointment ... but it is borderline unwatchable. There are games at ruckers park with better team offensive fundamentals. And the next person who says they don't have the players you should really get a grip.. I am not asking for 80+points and highlight videos or 1v1 crossover step backs..

I am asking for an offensive identity or purpose or some evidence that we actually practice our set half court offense EVER..... RUN A FUCKYN PLAY.. ..

Ask yourself this.....
Do we have any plays? has anyone seen bazz or boat call out an actual play while bringing the ball up the court or raise their arm to call out a play?? or bring it back out to run a "set"...

THINK ABOUT IT... SCARY..

Reaction Score
We've had a stagnant half court offense for 3 years, so this is nothing new. The offense did look like a breath of fresh air against MSU. Probably because we made every shot. Anyway Kevin Ollie is still 6-1 playing a competitive schedule. A win is a win. When we start losing to these type of teams then I'll complain. I do like the half court offense much more when Evans is in. He knows how to cut to the basket and move without the ball.

Reaction Score
This is something that concerns me about KO's coaching so far. I was hoping he would be a breath of fresh air -- a former point guard who would implement a heady offense that masks our weaknesses. Instead, it's the same crap we've seen the last 4 years.

We made two final fours in the previous four years, sign me up!!!

Reaction Score
We made two final fours in the previous four years, sign me up!!!

I meant 2010-present (and I know you knew that, smart*ss). And you can't honestly tell me you've been satisfied with our offense over that period. Even the NC team was infuriating to watch on offense, especially in Big East play, when Kemba wasn't lighting it up himself.

Reaction Score
If anyone tells me that Uconn has ever had an effective and consistent HALF court offense even with the stars we had then I am sorry for that. We have never had an identity as an offense when it pertains to half court set offense. This is not even arguable. Our fast break and transition/intermediate break (Gordon and RIP were awesome on the intermediate break) have always been great and we have had alot of success against team that play uptempo and allow us to play this type of game. Do we need 4 NBA players for our staff to run a decent offense with identifiable purpose... Come on

Reaction Score
Our transition offense this year (or at least tonight) is hard to watch. If boat or bazz do not have the ball in the middle of the floor it is a wasted fast break. Too many times today i saw OC or DD bring the ball up on a fast break with no clue.. And wed waste an opportunity. Not knocking those guys but damn idk how many times i said GET THE BALL TO BOAT today during fast breaks. When Boat and Bazz run fast breaks together its beautiful. If one of them is invovled with someone else, it could be great. If neither one of them is involved, were in trouble.

Reaction Score
We've had some years where we've better than others. Donyell, Ray, Rip and Emeka all became All-Americans without being "clear out and let em go one-on-one" type of players. They all scored off of halfcourt sets and by using screens (as well as in transition). Ray and Rip are often mentioned as two of the best players in the NBA off the ball - that started here. We ran some great stuff for Emeka when teams played us man (Ben liked to go one-on-one rather than catch and shoot off screens, so sometimes he'd bog us down a little).

Now, clearly some years we've been bad in the halfcourt, especially lately. The Jerome-Sticks team didn't have any shooters and got in each other's way, Kemba and the Pups could get slowed down easily if there was a good scheme/good defender to throw at Kemba, and last year's team had a not-quite-alpha-male Lamb and sushi-level-of-raw Drummond as the top options and was frustrating as hell on offense.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Our transition offense this year (or at least tonight) is hard to watch. If boat or bazz do not have the ball in the middle of the floor it is a wasted fast break. Too many times today i saw OC or DD bring the ball up on a fast break with no clue.. And wed waste an opportunity. Not knocking those guys but damn idk how many times i said GET THE BALL TO BOAT today during fast breaks. When Boat and Bazz run fast breaks together its beautiful. If one of them is invovled with someone else, it could be great. If neither one of them is involved, were in trouble.

The days of stopping at the FTline and everyone filling the lanes is over.......why? Because not everyone gets back in transition fast enough and also because everyone wants to looks so damn pretty instead of just making plays!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A win is a win.

This was New Hampshire. And they were running better offense than we were. In the old days, the New Hampshire game was over by the 1st timeout. We need a rule where whoever takes the ball past midcourt isn't allowed to shoot until they pass the ball and get it back, unless they are on a break. Why would guys run around when they know the guy with the ball is just going to dribble a bit than launch one?

Reaction Score
The offense is much smoother with Olander at the high post, where he has turned out to be a better passer than expected. There are more cuts to the basket when he's in the game.

Reaction Score
They've been standing around for more than the last 3 years. I think that a standard Q to kids on a visit to Storrs is: 'do you like to stand around?' If they say 'yes', they get the schollie.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The offense is much smoother with Olander at the high post, where he has turned out to be a better passer than expected. There are more cuts to the basket when he's in the game.
Exactly. There hasn't been a big in the last several years who does this. AD was still learning the game and AO had no ability to see peripherally or he just didn't give a darn. There certainly is no one on this team besides TO who does this. Correction EW can do this as was demonstrated by his pass back to NG yesterday. In general however, EW is a much slower version of TO. And TO is too slow and inconsistent with his own shot to cause teams to double up on him consistently.

Interestingly, in yesterday's game EW was in for most of the second half as opposed to TO. It really was a tale of two halves. In the first half DD and TO played decently and EW played as bad as it gets. In the second half TO and DD struggled and NG and especially EW played well. Of course in the last three minutes EW completely lost the NH center for an easy score.

Nolan has the best hops of all three centers and the worst BB IQ of any big in a very long time. The problem isn't with the coaching. These players either lack the skills or are just learning.

Reaction Score

Very true, the offense flows much better when he's in the game, the issue is he can't stay on the floor with all of the fouls. I think Nolan will eventually be good for us but he has no clue where he's supposed to be on offense, and when they went two bigs yesterday with Nolan/Wolf, which I've seen posters clamoring for, that is when they became completely discombulated and everything got clogged up.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Very true, the offense flows much better when he's in the game, the issue is he can't stay on the floor with all of the fouls. I think Nolan will eventually be good for us but he has no clue where he's supposed to be on offense, and when they went two bigs yesterday with Nolan/Wolf, which I've seen posters clamoring for, that is when they became completely discombulated and everything got clogged up.
Exactly. TO can't get into foul trouble if the offense has any chance of running smoothly. And the points you made about Nolan and EW in the game together are spot on.

Reaction Score
I am be a bit emotional given all of the recent disappointment ... but it is borderline unwatchable. There are games at ruckers park with better team offensive fundamentals. And the next person who says they don't have the players you should really get a grip.. I am not asking for 80+points and highlight videos or 1v1 crossover step backs..

I am asking for an offensive identity or purpose or some evidence that we actually practice our set half court offense EVER..... RUN A ****YN PLAY.. ..

Ask yourself this.....
Do we have any plays? has anyone seen bazz or boat call out an actual play while bringing the ball up the court or raise their arm to call out a play?? or bring it back out to run a "set"...

THINK ABOUT IT... SCARY..

Call Kevin and give him your opinion. He must be 1 of your contacts right?

Reaction Score
No you are right.. our half court offense is super. Lets just stick with what works vs NH and SB. Good point Bluedoghouse.

Listen, too often I think we attack one another here. I love Uconn and have been a fan since I was 4. Remember my dad at MSG calling me when we won our NIT. Don't hate on me because I am a fan and am frustrated.

PS: If you had KO's number he would be getting a call within minutes.

Reaction Score
If you don't understand how ridiculous you sound by saying that you could do a better job coaching the team then a guy who played 4 years at UConn, spent 13 years in the NBA, and spent another 2 years on the bench as an assistant, then I don't know what to tell you. That's not attacking, that's just pointing out the obvious.

Reaction Score
I don't think I could coach the team better but I would make certain that the team runs a more efficient half court offense. This means every half court possession requires a play call and a scoring plan or purpose. That's all. I couldn't coach better nor do I know more about basketball than KO but I do understand the importance of utilizing set team offense to create good scoring plays with this team. Especially given the lack of front court size motion and spacing are even more essential. We use plays out of Time outs and we score yet we have no game flow half court offense, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom