Staley is a Class Act | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Staley is a Class Act

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank

Roundabout
Reaction Score
Did anybody notice the bonus Stanley gets if she wins the National Championship (close to half a million). So if you think this outburst was something, wait till the game in March when she starts to sees that half million slip through her fingers……

Reaction Score
I think every reasonable human being would apologize for that classless act. So that apology is just arse cleaning/wiping act. To apologize for a classless act only rights the wrong, itself does not really constitutes a class act and warrant a buttering up.

Even if it is not a senior night, would her screaming be more acceptable, or even become a class act? The opposing team could call a timeout any time they want whether it is a senior night or not as long as it is permitted by the court rules. Sometimes it can be less tastefully done but nevertheless permitted. It does not warrant a public outburst of BS.

Reaction Score
Definitely a class act on her part!!!
I'm trying to understand how this shows how classy she is. She was blatantly wrong and realized after the fact how poorly it looked to everyone and had little recourse but to apologize. To suggest that this means she is classy doesn't ring true to me at all. Maybe she doesn't deserve to be admonished but she sure doesn't need to be praised for conceding she overreacted. For her to be in the position she is, she's got a public image and after acting poorly, if she said nothing, it would have reflected poorly on not only her but on South Carolina and the administration wouldn't be liking that too much. You don't even know if someone at SC might have contacted her and told her to do exactly what she ended up doing.

Reaction Score
I think every reasonable human being would apologize for that classless act. So that apology is just arse cleaning/wiping act. To apologize for a classless act only rights the wrong, itself does not really constitutes a class act and warrant a buttering up.

Even if it is not a senior night, would her screaming be more acceptable, or even become a class act? The opposing team could call a timeout any time they want whether it is a senior night or not as long as it is permitted by the court rules. Sometimes it can be less tastefully done but nevertheless permitted. It does not warrant a public outburst of BS.
Exactly. I didn't realize you'd written this because I posted a reply that was basically saying the same thing. She was wrong and admitting it after the fact, she surely doesn't deserve to be PRAISED.

Reaction Score
Class act - give her the benefit of the doubt. After all, her team had just lost sole ownership of the SEC championship in an upset.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Wow, it is me or are a lot of UConn fans piling on Dawn.... are they scared of her and South Carolina that they feel the need to be so high and mighty and judgmental? Reminds me of a checkerboard-styling.

Reaction Score
Dude, I'm all in for DT, if it happens in my lifetime.

Can you imagine those soundbites? We love Geno and how he says what he wants. DT? My oh my. I'd be on board just for the interviews.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Can you imagine those soundbites? We love Geno and how he says what he wants. DT? My oh my. I'd be on board just for the interviews.
She is the only person who has the personality that could help fill this void- emotionally for me anyway. Hey maybe D could come in as an asst coach with Sue or one of our ex post players? Tanya? Jamelle Marissa?

Reaction Score
People seem to have a lot of emotion with anything Dawn....

Seems to me to be pretty simple..... she reacted to something not knowing what the scoop was.... when she realized she made a mistake she apologized...... right thing to do.... that is it

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
People seem to have a lot of emotion with anything Dawn....

Seems to me to be pretty simple..... she reacted to something not knowing what the scoop was.... when she realized she made a mistake she apologized. right thing to do.... that is it

What I don't understand is why it took until the next day to realize that? I can't help but wonder if there's more to this story. She was pretty quick to call BS at Mitchell. Is there a history there? I've never seen her get that bent out of shape about anything before and I've seen her coach quite a bit especially at Temple.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What I don't understand is why it took until the next day to realize that? I can't help but wonder if there's more to this story. She was pretty quick to call BS at Mitchell. Is there a history there? I've never seen her get that bent out of shape about anything before and I've seen her coach quite a bit especially at Temple.
Of course there is something "more" to the story - a pretty simple more if you ask me. She just lost the game and was no longer undefeated in the SEC. And only the 2nd loss of the season. To an obviously lesser team. She was undoubtedly in a very bad move.

And I saw the same reaction in the opposing coach at Arizona's senior day a year or 2 ago, and also the time that the coach called a time-out to avoid a 10 second back-court as the clock was running out at the end of the game. It happens when coaches are major competitors. In the 2 instances I saw, they realized what was going on fairly quickly, but in both cases, not at first.

And I'll add that I've heard Dawn's language is, um, salty. I've heard it said about Geno and I know Vivian has been caught on TV using a variety of choice 4 letter words (well, at least 2 of them). Doesn't shock me.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Of course there is something "more" to the story - a pretty simple more if you ask me. She just lost the game and was no longer undefeated in the SEC. And only the 2nd loss of the season. To an obviously lesser team. She was undoubtedly in a very bad move.

And I saw the same reaction in the opposing coach at Arizona's senior day a year or 2 ago, and also the time that the coach called a time-out to avoid a 10 second back-court as the clock was running out at the end of the game. It happens when coaches are major competitors. In the 2 instances I saw, they realized what was going on fairly quickly, but in both cases, not at first.

And I'll add that I've heard Dawn's language is, um, salty. I've heard it said about Geno and I know Vivian has been caught on TV using a variety of choice 4 letter words (well, at least 2 of them). Doesn't shock me.

Again, "fairly quickly" = the next day?? I don't consider that fairly quickly at all. And this is not the first time to the rodeo for Staley. She's been coaching for many years now. Salty language at your players or one of the refs is one thing, but at the opposing coach is pretty unusual. If Geno did this he'd be getting raked over the coals for sure.

Reaction Score
To add to a statement above! Someone sitting near the SoCar bench at Gampel Feb. 9th told me that DS spent the whole game cursing, F--- this, F--- that! She must have CVivStringer as a role model because every word out of CVS' mouth during a game is F---! I know a guy that worked the scorers table during the Big East Tournaments at XL and each year he would say the coach that cursed the most and worst was the Rutgers Coach! "She would make a sailor blush!" And he said she cursed at assts., players, refs, anyone within earshot!
Remember the "Geno called Cappy something no human being should be called!", incident! CVS has a history of mouthing off without thinking! "WE'LL BE THE JEWELL OF THE EAST", said VIVIAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I'd give her a pass on this one especially when you have a men's coach screaming I'll @$##%# kill you to one of his own players for bad sportsmanship.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wow, it is me or are a lot of UConn fans piling on Dawn.... are they scared of her and South Carolina that they feel the need to be so high and mighty and judgmental? Reminds me of a checkerboard-styling.

Dawn has said some amazingly arrogant things about herself - the epitome being to in effect say she is a better coach than Pat Summit and Geno because she played the game "at the highest level." She aspires to be Geno's successor as Head Coach USA and there are those who have already anointed her. Her demeanor is edgy. Her formula for success - we will wear them down - simplistic. Her in game coaching - meh. Starting every game with 2 starters who contribute zero offense...? People are prep'd to dislike her and so this is what you get. Is it piling on to note her behavior was out of control and classless and not want to give her a big pat on the back for waking up and doing a damage control apology - I don't think so.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Dawn has said some amazingly arrogant things about herself - the epitome being to in effect say she is a better coach than Pat Summit and Geno because she played the game "at the highest level." She aspires to be Geno's successor as Head Coach USA and there are those who have already anointed her. Her demeanor is edgy. Her formula for success - we will wear them down - simplistic. Her in game coaching - meh. Starting every game with 2 starters who contribute zero offense...? People are prep'd to dislike her and so this is what you get. Is it piling on to note her behavior was out of control and classless and not want to give her a big pat on the back for waking up and doing a damage control apology - I don't think so.

Ok. I guess we then understand and accept the vitriol tossed at Geno.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ok. I guess we then understand and accept the vitriol tossed at Geno.

Are you referring to the filth spewed out by the Vol fans on their boards? I think your comparison of this threads posters who have criticized Dawn and that fan base's poison is inapt.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not exactly sure what to think about the DS reaction and all, but in years past there have been a number of acts by coaches ranging from player mistreatment to shocking statements to simply just sitting on hands that were deemed to be warranting an apology, and it never came. So maybe better late than never.

Reaction Score
I'd give her a pass on this one especially when you have a men's coach screaming I'll @$##%# kill you to one of his own players for bad sportsmanship.
It does seem to be more acceptable for NCAAM coaches to act that way. But should we ask women teams coach to move towards that direction? I do think she has been stomped enough this time. It is a good lesson for her.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

This JustinIn - you are the most ignorant and unappealing poster on this board....oh wait ...you aren't..ok I apologize.

All is well now. In fact, I think I am a class act for apologizing.

Reaction Score
If I remember two years ago, in the Final four game against Notre Dame, it was Geno who called time out in the last minute, to some crowd boos, when Muffet had no timeouts left, to allow Muffet at that time to take Skylar Diggins out to a well-deserved ovation. That combination of total game awareness and real class is what exemplifies Geno and his program.

Muffet had two timeouts left.

And if Geno didn't offer and take that time out- Skyler would never have gotten that moment. I don't think Muppet was thrilled with Skylar and/or vice versa that game. I watched that game a million times- and she intentionally was not going to give Skylar that exit. It was obvious and their body language was not good together from around the 10 minute mark in the first half or a bit later when we started our run.

I believe you are correct about Muffet not wanting to give Skylar her exit, or maybe she was counting on divine intervention to win the game.

Reaction Score
Muffet had two timeouts left.

I believe you are correct about Muffet not wanting to give Skylar her exit, or maybe she was counting on divine intervention to win the game.

You may be right about Muffet not wanting to give Skylar her exit but for a player that carried her program to many big wins(albeit not a championship) over those 4 years if that is true that is a disgrace for Muffet.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm having a nice snack after the gym while reading this thread. :D Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom