Staley: I Just Want A Decision! | The Boneyard

Staley: I Just Want A Decision!

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
She's got a point. What in the world takes this long? It's sort of a pocket veto... by the time Dawn gets a "Yes" she'll have to weight that against a year of eligibility. Maybe that's what motivates the delay -- the NCAA wants to discourage other coaches. It's the "no decision is a decision" model.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She's got a point. What in the world takes this long? It's sort of a pocket veto... by the time Dawn gets a "Yes" she'll have to weight that against a year of eligibility. Maybe that's what motivates the delay -- the NCAA wants to discourage other coaches. It's the "no decision is a decision" model.

Isn't this year counting as a year of eligibility regardless if she's cleared or not?

Reaction Score
If NCAA wants to discourage , a simple ‘no’ would do the trick! It made quick decision on ND’s transfer. There is just no consistency. It was more than quick and happy when handing uconn men’s BB post season ban. And then it took more than a few constipations to deal with UNC’s mischief.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If NCAA wants to discourage , a simple ‘no’ would do the trick! It made quick decision on ND’s transfer. There is just no consistency. It was more than quick and happy when handing uconn men’s BB post season ban. And then it took more than a few constipations to deal with UNC’s mischief.
Took the NCAA 2 months to decide on ND's transfer request. (1Sept -1 November)
NCAA rules Jessica Shepard immediately eligible for Notre Dame women's basketball
South Carolina's waiver was submitted on December 19th. If NCAA follows the ND timeline it can decide by 19 February. Dawn should have taken this timeline into account with the submission of the waiver request.
Gamecocks file waiver to NCAA on behalf of Te'a Cooper

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It did take 2 months for ND to find out. Dawn knows after this year there is no chance to win anything and that is why she wants Cooper! Actually they might not win their conference this year!

Reaction Score
Article with a little video which could be interpreted as a swipe at someone else.

Dawn Staley on Te’a Cooper waiver: ‘I just want a decision. It’s been a month’
What took Dawn so long to request the waiver?? You can't blame the NCAA for your lack of initiative. I understand, some a bit I think, why Dawn wants this waiver-and some has to do with the impact on the Kid--that part is unfortunate and disheartening for all fans. To think a kid would sit this long. That's wrong.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What took Dawn so long to request the waiver?? You can't blame the NCAA for your lack of initiative. I understand, some a bit I think, why Dawn wants this waiver-and some has to do with the impact on the Kid--that part is unfortunate and disheartening for all fans. To think a kid would sit this long. That's wrong.

Yes, why did Dawn wait? I wonder if there was an academic eligibility issue? Cooper's ride has been a strange one. She went home after the freshman campaign and injured her knee during the summer and didn't tell Tenn and didn't have it addressed. Holly was blind sided with it at the start of the fall semester. Who does that? Then she became a distraction and then she became a problem. Quite the resume.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, why did Dawn wait? I wonder if there was an academic eligibility issue? Cooper's ride has been a strange one. She went home after the freshman campaign and injured her knee during the summer and didn't tell Tenn and didn't have it addressed. Holly was blind sided with it at the start of the fall semester. Who does that? Then she became a distraction and then she became a problem. Quite the resume.
Dawn waited because she thought that Cuevas-Moore would be fully healthy for the majority of this season. The SC waiver request was put in one day after it was announced that Cuevas-Moore would miss the entire season. Piss poor planning all around.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As some here know, I am a bit obsessed with the waiver process generally and specifically the waiver requests for Shepard and Cooper. I updated the Cooper waiver saga on Saturday in this thread:

Non UConn College WBB News

I will continue to post the latest on Cooper in that thread.

Reaction Score
Dawn waited because she thought that Cuevas-Moore would be fully healthy for the majority of this season. The SC waiver request was put in one day after it was announced that Cuevas-Moore would miss the entire season. Piss poor planning all around.
Naive me, when a coach says it's about a specific player and the technical harm or benefits to that player I believe it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just realized that there are conflicting info regarding exactly when the SC waiver for Cooper was actually submitted to NCAA. One article says Dawn made the decision at SEC Media day October 19.
South Carolina is seeking a waiver to let this transfer play right away, Staley says
A different article dated December 19th quotes Dawn as saying "I think it was submitted yesterday or today".
That's a full two month descrepancy!

Reaction Score
Kid do and say the darnedest things. I can think of a similar thing that happened over an Xmas break--with Geno being told a tall tale. Similar not the same. But it would appear this player has about worn out some welcome mats.

Reaction Score
Just realized that there are conflicting info regarding exactly when the SC waiver for Cooper was actually submitted to NCAA. One article says Dawn made the decision at SEC Media day October 19.
South Carolina is seeking a waiver to let this transfer play right away, Staley says
A different article dated December 19th quotes Dawn as saying "I think it was submitted yesterday or today".
That's a full two month descrepancy!
If the date is the 19 oct date--it would appear Dawn has a reason to voice her opinions on this.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
As some here know, I am a bit obsessed with the waiver process generally and specifically the waiver requests for Shepard and Cooper. I updated the Cooper waiver saga on Saturday in this thread:

Non UConn College WBB News

I will continue to post the latest on Cooper in that thread.

Good to know. For what it's worth, there was also a flurry of activity this Saturday on page 2 of this thread:
Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This much I know. The request went in in mid-December. Perhaps Staley was waiting to see if Cooper could get up to speed and be useful? And have her eligibility run from the start of the second semester?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
According to Dawn, if the NCAA approves Cooper's waiver petition she's going to play. In other words, there's no such thing as approval coming too late. If the NCAA grants the petition and there are only a handful of games left in the season, Cooper is going to play. The reason appears to be that if Cooper has to wait until next season to play she'll only be able to play 2 years at SC before her 5th calendar year runs out. Remember, student-athlete get 5 calendar years to complete 4 seasons of competition. A student-athlete can petition for a 6th year but Dawn doesn't expect Cooper to do that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
According to Dawn, if the NCAA approves Cooper's waiver petition she's going to play. In other words, there's no such thing as approval coming too late. If the NCAA grants the petition and there are only a handful of games left in the season, Cooper is going to play. The reason appears to be that if Cooper has to wait until next season to play she'll only be able to play 2 years at SC before her 5th calendar year runs out. Remember, student-athlete get 5 calendar years to complete 4 seasons of competition. A student-athlete can petition for a 6th year but Dawn doesn't expect Cooper to do that.
Serious question I would ask Dawn:
squeeze.jpg
It's Cooper we are talking about here right?

Reaction Score
Took the NCAA 2 months to decide on ND's transfer request. (1Sept -1 November)
NCAA rules Jessica Shepard immediately eligible for Notre Dame women's basketball
South Carolina's waiver was submitted on December 19th. If NCAA follows the ND timeline it can decide by 19 February. Dawn should have taken this timeline into account with the submission of the waiver request.

Staley may be getting some not quite correct advice. She seemed pretty surprised that Shepherd's waiver was granted. I'm sure she was aware of the details of that one since I believe she visited Columbia and knew that Shepherd's hardship was really just wanting to play at a higher profile program.

Reaction Score
This much I know. The request went in in mid-December. Perhaps Staley was waiting to see if Cooper could get up to speed and be useful? And have her eligibility run from the start of the second semester?

Staley was lead to believe if Cooper's first semester grades were good that would sway the committee on the waiver request since the transfer rule is theoretically supposed to be about letting players settle into new schools without competition pressures.

I am sure if she had to do it again, USC would just submit it in the fall. I suspected this wasn't going to go well, but thought they knew something I didn't.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Staley was lead to believe if Cooper's first semester grades were good that would sway the committee on the waiver request since the transfer rule is theoretically supposed to be about letting players settle into new schools without computational pressures.

I am sure if she had to do it again, USC would just submit it in the fall. I suspected this wasn't going to go well, but thought they knew something I didn't.

Thanks. The NCAA and predictability, consistency or rationality should never be used in the same sentence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom