St John's Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

St John's Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Seen lots of ankle rolls in other games too this year. Is it time to go back to the old "Converse High Top" type of shoe?
Some of my friends I play volleyball with swear by Active Ankles. Ankle injuries are much more common than knee injuries in volleyball.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else think the St. John's player guarding Nika pushed out a leg and got Nika in the ankle. The announcers said it was a non-contact injury, but I thought she was hit. Am I the only one that saw it that way?

Reaction Score
Did anyone else think the St. John's player guarding Nika pushed out a leg and got Nika in the ankle. The announcers said it was a non-contact injury, but I thought she was hit. Am I the only one that saw it that way?
I thought it was just an inadvertent play where a player landed/stepped on another players foot while driving to the hoop. To be honest, I'm surprised it doesnt happen more often with so many bodies in the paint.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Nika stepped on a players foot as she was making a pass on a fast break. She did it, not the other player. I did not see it the way you saw it. It could be seen on the replay.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Nika stepped on a players foot as she was making a pass on a fast break. She did it, not the other player. I did not see it the way you saw it. It could be seen on the replay.
I'm watching the game replay and Nika did step on the foot of the defensive player, as has been noted by others here. And Kim Adams did point this contact out during one of the replays that FS1 did.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the St John’s game:
  • UConn’s defense was suffocating today. If the Huskies keep playing defense like this, they will be awfully tough to beat from here on out.
  • Liv was playing with purpose. Double-double at the half. She was extremely active today.
  • Nika, who was sporting a lovely shiner on her left eye, continued to be a defensive terror. She is becoming a nightmare for opposing pg’s. The ankle injury was scary, but hopefully not something that will keep her out for an extended period of time.
  • Christyn, with some help from her teammates, once again made it a very long day for Correa, who shot 3/18.
  • Great to see Anna back on the court. If Nika misses the next few games, Anna will likely get more PT to sharpen up her game by the Big Dance.
  • We haven’t seen a lot of Mir, but when she got in today, she impressed the hell out of me by getting up in Farley’s grill from the moment she stepped on the court, drawing a T from a frustrated Farley.
  • Paige in a bit of a shooting slump from the arc. I’m not particularly worried. She’ll figure it out.
You nailed it. Although we lose an edge on defense if Muhl cannot come back.

Reaction Score
Dated reference. Amanda Nunez
I have met two women that I was actually afraid of: Brittney Griner and Amanda Nunez. I told Griner I was a UConn fan, and I told Amanda I was a Ronda fan (in Portuguese, so I might have messed it up). Both of them were extremely kind to me and let me off the hook with no ass kicking.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents on the guard play:

NM can’t play much better than she did in the first Quarter. Looks good with the black eye as well! ? Outside of two plays, she was outstanding! She had 4 steals and 5 points, including a three. Would have had 3 additional assists in the half if we would have hit the shots. Forced layup and gave up dribble penetration once but, she played with a lot of energy! I continue to be impressed how quickly she snags the rebound and pushes the ball up the court. PS: She is only a freshman!

Offensive foul with the push-off that got EW hurt. Funny how Uconn gets called for a lot of offensive fouls but the other teams don’t seem too….or am I just drinking the UConn Kool-Aid?

CW on the break can be lethal if she just make the dag shots. Nobody on this team, including PB, can create their own shot consistently like CW…she just keeps missing….She shot poorly again but yet still played almost the entire game. Defense was solid.

PB – incredible finish over a much taller player with the weak hand. She has really big hands and long arms. Good game, not great and not quite up to her standards, which are ridiculously high. GA finds a way to get her 10 minutes rest though…

I’m starting to think that PB plays possum on defense, lagging back a bit, before she scoops in for the steal. It’s like a BB version of Deon Sanders…making the player look open and baiting them to pass the ball. She tends to play ‘slow to fast’ in order to get the steal.

Reaction Score
My two cents on the wings and bigs:

Liv - Misses shots and 3 early TOs when she gets the ball on the low block – really bad coming from a Jr and potential AA. She still walks with the ball when her back down move doesn’t work, and then she gets scared that her shot will get blocked. I wish she would just go up strong. Hustling for rebounds though which is good. Had a double-double in the first half which is terrific production after the early TOs.

AG – nice offensive rebound to give us another opportunity to score. Too bad CW missed the open 3. Great steal and coast to coast lay-in. Who says she can’t dribble? That is complete BS. Second steal by AG in back to back possessions. She then dribbles across mid-court again and finds MM for the nice dish. Who says AG can’t pass?? Complete BS! That is 4 straight points that were ALL AG.

Two possessions later, AG with the rebound – that makes 3 out of 4 possessions she has made her presence felt! Next possession she draws a foul. Two possessions later, she posts up and draws another foul and hits both FTs. Short on the 3 – got to hit them.

A possession later, she gets another offensive rebound. Then later puts the ball on the floor and explodes to the rim, drawing a foul and hitting both FTs. Then finishes the game with another rebound.

Terrific stretch of minutes by AG, but would GA have given her the opportunity if NM didn’t get hurt?

AE – nice game once again, not dominate but didn’t need to be. She naturally creates space when she gets the ball and that is something Liv can’t do with her slight frame. I really think she is going to be huge for us in the tournament and, IMHO, she is much better than Collier was at the same time.

EW – made a long jumper (I thought it was a 3 actually) but shot still looks a bit flat to me. Solid overall game.

AM – missed both threes but her touch was terrific, nice arc and straight, just a bit short – typical of a player who hasn’t played in a long while.

MM – good game. Having fun. Kid can really sky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom