St. John’s Pregame Thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

St. John’s Pregame Thoughts

Reaction Score
St John’s is honoring their 98-99 elite eight team at halftime.

You know, the team we ran off their home floor in the Big East tourney finals on our way to a national title that year. LOL
Maybe Rip, Khalid, Ricky, K Free, Jake and Coach Calhoun should join the festivities. A reminder of who beat them 3 times that season. They could put the first 10 minutes of the Big East final on the Jumbotron. The most dominating start to a game against a quality opponent ever

Reaction Score
Maybe Rip, Khalid, Ricky, K Free, Jake and Coach Calhoun should join the festivities. A reminder of who beat them 3 times that season. They could put the first 10 minutes of the Big East final on the Jumbotron. The most dominating start to a game against a quality opponent ever

Featuring one of the best fast breaks you’ll ever see capped by a KFree dunk.

Reaction Score
This is closer to a vintage Pitino team than I think people might realize given that it's his first season. That doesn't mean they're great, but the portal can work wonders for a guy who's probably better at recruiting to a system than developing. Hurley's teams should be better equipped to handle the rugged style and frantic pace than the later-years Calhoun/Ollie teams (which infamously stumbled to a 1-9 mark against the Cards from 2010-14), but Karaban's potential absence could complicate things.

I know they've already played once this season, so nothing should come as a shock. But this is not the team of stereotypical overachieving mid-major players I thought they'd be when Pitino assembled this group. They might have one or two players like that (notably Ledlum), but for the most part it's a stable of impressive-looking athletes that can bully you if you don't come ready.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
St. John's is a very deep team. If this game becomes an even worse whistle fest than last night, we could struggle.
That would be tough although perhaps the combined might of StJ and UConn's record setting games yesterday will propel the number of fouls called to even greater heights.

Reaction Score
St. John's had a bad loss to Xavier last night. Looking ahead to UConn? Except that they
don't the talent to overlook anybody. I think the NCAA would love to have the Johnnies in
The Dance but they seem to be headed in the wrong direction. They will be juiced on
Saturday...a [tough] win for us.
Don't underestimate our motivation coming off a disappointing WIN

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think it’s funny that teams try to ugly up games vs us. We can out-tough yall too!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Need to have a plan to address over-aggressive guards on the high weave and pick-and-role.
A whole lot of this.

British Basketball GIF by Bristol Flyers

Reaction Score
Video?
I think he’s talking about a fast break dunk where the ball didn’t touch the floor. It was like rebound-outlet-pass-dunk. Perfect fast break execution. I couldn’t find the game video but it was later first half, if I recall.

@Gurleyman would know for sure. He’s our encyclopedia.

Reaction Score
I think he’s talking about a fast break dunk where the ball didn’t touch the floor. It was like rebound-outlet-pass-dunk. Perfect fast break execution. I couldn’t find the game video but it was later first half, if I recall.

@Gurleyman would know for sure. He’s our encyclopedia.

It was right before Jarvis's first timeout. I think it made the game 12-0. Hamilton rebound to Moore up to El Amin to Freeman. Not a single dribble and it took about 1.5 seconds.

Its on that archive of games that's available online. uconnhuskygames.com or something.

Holy , I thought that was sarcasm about honoring the '99 Elite Eight team. They're actually doing it.

Reaction Score
It was right before Jarvis's first timeout. I think it made the game 12-0. Hamilton rebound to Moore up to El Amin to Freeman. Not a single dribble and it took about 1.5 seconds.

Its on that archive of games that's available online. uconnhuskygames.com or something.

Holy , I thought that was sarcasm about honoring the '99 Elite Eight team. They're actually doing it.
I was there that night. Were you, BigErn? Good memory.

“So, Ron Artest….what was your favorite memory about hearing a 75% UConn crowd cheer the blowout win that night?”

Reaction Score
St John’s is honoring their 98-99 elite eight team at halftime.

You know, the team we ran off their home floor in the Big East tourney finals on our way to a national title that year. LOL
Every time is entitled to celebrate their programs ceiling

Reaction Score
It's going to be tough to beat us no matter what, but the game plan IS to play uber-physical and muck things up like Providence did. SHU did the same thing when they had our number.

Away from home? This is going to be a tough, tough game if it's played like yesterday. Our guys know this and will be prepared, I'm sure.
So be it. I would prefer the refs swallow their whistles than calling every ticky tack foul.

Reaction Score
DC gets called for fouls because he brings his arms down way too often. He needs to work on it. And also, don't go for head fakes. He is taller and longer than everyone he defends. Stay on the ground until they leave the ground. At worst, they have to make a difficult shot.
Thx... What's the issue with his arms? Is he hitting someone on the way down? The second and 4th fouls looked like minor body contact to me. The bad thing about Hulu is you can't slow down the replay speed...

Reaction Score

Edit: It's not putting the time right, but it's when the score is 9-0 17:30 or so on the clock.

Reaction Score
This is closer to a vintage Pitino team than I think people might realize given that it's his first season. That doesn't mean they're great, but the portal can work wonders for a guy who's probably better at recruiting to a system than developing. Hurley's teams should be better equipped to handle the rugged style and frantic pace than the later-years Calhoun/Ollie teams (which infamously stumbled to a 1-9 mark against the Cards from 2010-14), but Karaban's potential absence could complicate things.

I know they've already played once this season, so nothing should come as a shock. But this is not the team of stereotypical overachieving mid-major players I thought they'd be when Pitino assembled this group. They might have one or two players like that (notably Ledlum), but for the most part it's a stable of impressive-looking athletes that can bully you if you don't come ready.
I think solo starts and castle deals with the 4. It may be a defensive upgrade. Maybe a little zone to spare our two bigs and test the Johnnie’s range.

Reaction Score
I was there that night. Were you, BigErn? Good memory.

“So, Ron Artest….what was your favorite memory about hearing a 75% UConn crowd cheer the blowout win that night?”

Yup, I was a junior in college. I remember it like it was yesterday. I've probably watched that opening segment 20 times since then, mostly for the look on Jarvis's face when he calls the timeout.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom