St. Joe's: It Isn't Going Well | The Boneyard

St. Joe's: It Isn't Going Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Down 46-10 at Gonzaga in the first half on ESPNU. Jeez.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Martelli builds his teams for a run every 3 or4 years, with some deep down years in between. He probably doesn't have much of a choice with the level of recruit he gets.

Reaction Score
Not my view ...

Poor roster management. You get 13 scholarships: last year Galloway, Roberts, the Eastern Euro, Bembry & Wilson were solid. He had NO bench. He might get production out of 1 or 2 newbies. But, I just don't understand how you can be absolutely that thin. Yes, they should have beat us in Buffalo ... excepting Kevin Ollie really did force them to exhaustion and disqualification. Martelli is a solid gamecoach. But, I just don't see why you can't make a 8 man roster that gets you into next year with 3 or 4 starters.

Reaction Score
Martelli builds his teams for a run every 3 or4 years, with some deep down years in between. He probably doesn't have much of a choice with the level of recruit he gets.

Catch the Duke game the other night nelson? Convinced yet that Duke's freshman (not just Okafor, Winslow and Jones too) might actually be pretty good?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not my view ...

Poor roster management. You get 13 scholarships: last year Galloway, Roberts, the Eastern Euro, Bembry & Wilson were solid. He had NO bench. He might get production out of 1 or 2 newbies. But, I just don't understand how you can be absolutely that thin. Yes, they should have beat us in Buffalo ... excepting Kevin Ollie really did force them to exhaustion and disqualification. Martelli is a solid gamecoach. But, I just don't see why you can't make a 8 man roster that gets you into next year with 3 or 4 starters.

Coaching in a mid to lower DI schools has it's limitations in as far as roster make-up. He may get a diamond in the rough - someone he can have for 2,3 or 4 years who is a contributor and carry the team - this my come once every 10 years. The rest of the roster are regional "recruits" who come from small schools and were big fish but no where near D1 top shelf or he will get the urban kids who were role players. He has to mold these kids into a system - it could take 3 years. Every year he may have 2 kids who can step in and face D1 comp. Plus, remember, he is in a market where there are many choices - If you can't cut Nova you have LaSalle, etc.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Gonzaga under Few vs St Joes under Martelli...one took advantage of ncaa success and built a program, one can't stop reminding everyone of that one time they almost made a final four. AND Martelli has a much easier recruiting territory than Few.

I think Martelli is even with Few as an in game coach, but Few much better whole package. Needs an elite 8 though.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga under Few vs St Joes under Martelli...one took advantage of ncaa success and built a program, one can't stop reminding everyone of that one time they almost made a final four. AND Martelli has a much easier recruiting territory than Few.

I think Martelli is even with Few as an in game coach, but Few much better whole package. Needs an elite 8 though.

This is absolutely the truth. Plus ... Geno Auriemma 's friend is kind of a dick (note-the transfer issue with that kid O'Brien) ... and that means he's not for every modern kid. (I think Few is far more of a players coach).

I do think you can build a powerhouse at this level - you can be special. But it's the Shaka Smart - Gregg Marshall - Mark Few (and not leaving for the high platform). Fran McCaffery at Siena couldn't stay. And from there, parallels are many. The school builds with you as Gonzaga has. Pays bigger. At St. Joe's level, they had four great players last year. You can get that PLUS 4 solid role players; then going a few rounds in March is realizable.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Martelli lost me when he boned that kid just out of spite. That we ripped out his heart last year was an extra bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom