OT: - St. Bonnie’s Mark Schmidt to UMass? (… or Not) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: St. Bonnie’s Mark Schmidt to UMass? (… or Not)

Reaction Score
I'd rather live in the Amherst area than in Olean.

Aside from that, I don't get the move for Schmidt.

More importantly, the tweet from the first post of this thread seems like bunk.

If I were to bet the next UMass coach? Bashir Mason of Wagner.

10 seasons at Wagner. 3 NEC regular season champions in the last 7 years. Only 38 years old. A Northeast guy who played at Drexel, was an assistant at Marist and has been part of the coaching staff at Wagner for a dozen years now.

Reaction Score
I'd rather live in the Amherst area than in Olean.

Aside from that, I don't get the move for Schmidt.

More importantly, the tweet from the first post of this thread seems like bunk.

If I were to bet the next UMass coach? Bashir Mason of Wagner.

10 seasons at Wagner. 3 NEC regular season champions in the last 7 years. Only 38 years old. A Northeast guy who played at Drexel, was an assistant at Marist and has been part of the coaching staff at Wagner for a dozen years now.
Their season has been over for two weeks. UMass fired their head coach a month ago. If it was going to be him it would have already happened; you've seen all other head coaching searches took less than a week to complete. With backchanneling, these deals are basically set so that when they finish the postseason they are immediately whisked away to the new job.

The only coaches still competing are those in the NCAA and NIT tournaments so I'd frankly be shocked if it isn't a coach left from those two pools. If it isn't, that just shows UMass to be an utterly incompetent AD, which could very well be the case.

As a refresher, Dan Hurley lost to Duke in the NCAA Tournament March 17, 2018...UConn officially hired him March 22, 2018. These things move quickly (or at least should).

Reaction Score
Is UMass even a better job than St. Bonaventure?

UMASS is a better job if it pays more, also should be a better recruiting area if Schmidt can convince the in state talent to play for State U. Lastly don't discount the possibility that UMASS is going to pitch the Big East for entry should the Big East decide to add a school. Obviously the small school Bonnies would have no shot at the Big East.

Reaction Score
Why are we so obsessed with UMass unless Kimani goes there? They have zero impact on UConn except with hockey. Not trolling genuinely confused.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't think it matters at all for us whether UMass is relevant or not.
Sort of. We’re fine if they’re not, but having a decent competitor in the state next-door could create the rivalry we are lacking. That’s good for the University. For what it’s worth we already play UMass annually in hockey, for which they are the defending national champions and just beat us in overtime for the Hokies championship, and in football, for which both programs have been pretty bad, adding an annual basketball game would be easy enough to do.

Reaction Score
Getting way ahead here, but I wonder if Bona could be a potential landing spot for Kimani Young if all these reports about Schmidt leaving are true. He does have NY connections, even though Olean NY is more Canada than it is NY.

I have to imagine Kimani is getting looks for a bunch of these openings.

Anyways, Schmidt to UMass seems like a good hire for them, better than I thought they were gonna do.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that UMass can pay a coach $1.8 mill./year as that is about double what the last coach made. In the 2020 FY (pre-COVID), UMass basketball sold ~$425k in tickets which is less than UMass men's hockey at $557k. Heck, UConn women's basketball has higher ticket revenue than all UMass sports combined.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I'm surprised that UMass can pay a coach $1.8 mill./year as that is about double what the last coach made. In the 2020 FY (pre-COVID), UMass basketball sold ~$425k in tickets which is less than UMass men's hockey at $557k. Heck, UConn women's basketball has higher ticket revenue than all UMass sports combined.

UMass doesnt pretend to have football program so you need to subtract 11 billion

Reaction Score
His own little world…

Lmaooo. There always seems to be conflicting reports with Blauds. And he also always plants the seeds to cover his tracks in the usual event where he’s incorrect. It’s a pretty good approach actually. Just tweet out every possible outcome so you can never be fully incorrect

Reaction Score
All those Bonnies guys have one more COVID year left, right?
You are correct.

Would be great for UMass and Northeast basketball in general if UMass ends up with Frank Martin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom