ssdy | The Boneyard

ssdy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
big recruiting weekend close to signing day and no commitment. still the broken record we get to listen to every year. Hopefully that scratch in the record will be fixed soon.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
im not sold on theweekend yet but i think it went a little better than you think
-pretty sure shortell is a husky the way the twitter chat picked up last night then all quickly went byebye after i posted on here about him.
-morgan said it was a "sucessful" weekend. we know his decision is coming soon as he has said...
-rennick had a good visit, everything is all set with him. i wouldn't be suprised if we find out later that he had a iowa offer lol.
-psu is interesting. why? well when everything happened we thought that kids would all leave and we would get a look or 2 alla golden. well now towards the end they lost only a couple guys but the new staff is looking for kids to fill that class(prob expecting to lose some players spring time), also tosu s doing the sec thing now with urban. bring in 30 kids every year and the first 20 to get grades that aren't bad get to stay... so several kids that we are after are getting looks that usally wouldn't be around at this point. in PPs first year he is going up against the big boys for recruits that are being overvalued(hate to say that, dont mean it in a bad way) becuase of whats going on right now in the northeast fball landscape. i mean its a mess really..of the schools that recruit the area hard off the top of my head.

bcu-class is falling apart, they are looking around as best they can. they tried to get in late again with morgan(for example) but no dice.
uconn-staffs first class, trying to add depth everywhere they can
psu-everything going on + new staff trying to bring in enough recruits
tosu-^same thing
iowa- there is a real issue going on there, not sure if any1 is paying attention to it at all. the fans are up in flames over not knowing exactly whats going on. they are recruiting the area extremely hard. they have had a ton of transfers the past 2 years. alot of northeast kids going out there then leaving a year later. that lockerroom is a mess it seems like.
ruty-has a great class, GS is one heck of a recruiter, cant knock that. if only he had a clipboard with x/os on it...
pitt-new staff again they have a ok class with a couple studs keeping them in the game
cuse-has a huge class as they have recently come back to life somewhat, they are really trying to sell we are NY to kids. they are still looking for depth it seems.

Reaction Score
Makes me think of something a long time Whaler season ticket holder said to me at a game back in the early 90's " every year they promise us it will be diffrent, that this team is better, new and i proved.....and every year they put the same product out on the ice"

Things will get better...I think that 2013 will be the tell tale sign of whether P is going to bring this program to another level or not.
Any one hearing any AD rumors? It's been REAL quiet on that front. That says to me that the short list either has AD's on it that are currently employed OR they are chewing through candidates.

Reaction Score
First, since the school can't talk about recruits, and since recruiting coverage is spotty at UConn, it's impossible to say if anyone committed or not.

Second, Pasqualoni having a losing season doesn't help. Together with Randy leaving immediately after the BCS bowl makes it difficult to leverage the previous success of the program.

Third, recruiting is a crap shoot. If following the Huskies has taught us one thing, it's that recruiting classes can only be judged after a number of years.

Don't worry, I' sure we will field a team next year.

Reaction Score
BTW, since you bring up the Whalers, every time they had a great player, Mark Howe, Ron Francis, Mike Rodgers, Brendan Shanahan they would trade him. WTF was that. The Whalers always acted like a farm team, they never valued their stars. Lousy organization.

Reaction Score
Makes me think of something a long time Whaler season ticket holder said to me at a game back in the early 90's " every year they promise us it will be diffrent, that this team is better, new and i proved.....and every year they put the same product out on the ice"

Things will get better...I think that 2013 will be the tell tale sign of whether P is going to bring this program to another level or not.
Any one hearing any AD rumors? It's been REAL quiet on that front. That says to me that the short list either has AD's on it that are currently employed OR they are chewing through candidates.

If you are actually comparing the success/trajectory of the Whale to the last decade of this football program, I really don't know what to say.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If you are actually comparing the success/trajectory of the Whale to the last decade of this football program, I really don't know what so say. randy edsall

j/k

Reaction Score
If you are actually comparing the success/trajectory of the Whale to the last decade of this football program, I really don't know what so say.
Not doing that at all...the broken record of the OP just made me think of that statement. Don't forget I sit 1 section away from you and watch the same product in the field...plus I have my old Amex statements and tshirts to remember all the bowls we have been to. The one thing I will compare the Whalers to UConn football with...when the Whale was good in the mid to late 80's they were the hottest ticket in town! When UConn football has a winning season there are few if any empty seats (I'm not counting sky boxes) but when they lose a LOT more empty seats show up, and it sure takes a LOT less time to get out of the parking lot at the Rent. I could tell you about crowds at Memorial for games too back when the head coach was named Nazdak, Jackson, or Holtz...WAY before Edsall showed up. Back then it was the same story every year about the recruiting class...like it was every year with Edsall, and like it is now with Coach P...BEST class yet!

Reaction Score
BTW, since you bring up the Whalers, every time they had a great player, Mark Howe, Ron Francis, Mike Rodgers, Brendan Shanahan they would trade him. WTF was that. The Whalers always acted like a farm team, they never valued their stars. Lousy organization.
Pal you forgot to add Chris Pronger, Jean Sebastian Giguere, Ulf Samuelsson...ah forget it this list could go on and on...oh how right you are!

Reaction Score
P has done about as well as can be expected but he has not done better than expected. To me this class will be judged by the success / failure of the two QB's. I noticed yesterday that according to "Scout" Chandler Whitmer received an offer from Stanford out of high school. The fact that Jim Harbaugh liked him that much has me excited about this kid.

Reaction Score
Pal you forgot to add Chris Pronger, Jean Sebastian Giguere, Ulf Samuelsson...ah forget it this list could go on and on...oh how right you are!
Don't forget Andrew Cassels who went in the trade with Giguere

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
And Bobby Holik, while we're at this...

(Ha, a bit slow on the 'enter' key today!)...

Reaction Score
For those that pay attention to recruiting class rankings...this from scout.com, reason I picked this website to look at is because it's easiest to search all 120 1-A programs.

UConn recruiting class ranking - back to 2002, earliest available.

2002 100
2003 82
2004 79
2005 59
2006 66
2007 53
2008 70
2009 76
2010 69
2011 81
2012 65

So - going by the numbers, and figuring that 2011 was a difficult year, low number of recruits and scrambling to keep them on board.....and 2012 still incomplete.

There are only two recruiting classes from 2002 to 2011 that finished ahead of where we are right now, with 9 days to go in this cycle beofre NLI day.

Take it for whatever you think it's worth.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
scout is almost up to date with our class. they need to add the texas kid who is already here/signed. hes a 3* on espn fwiw.

Reaction Score
For those that pay attention to recruiting class rankings...this from scout.com, reason I picked this website to look at is because it's easiest to search all 120 1-A programs.

UConn recruiting class ranking - back to 2002, earliest available.

2002 100
2003 82
2004 79
2005 59
2006 66
2007 53
2008 70
2009 76
2010 69
2011 81
2012 65

So - going by the numbers, and figuring that 2011 was a difficult year, low number of recruits and scrambling to keep them on board.....and 2012 still incomplete.

There are only two recruiting classes from 2002 to 2011 that finished ahead of where we are right now, with 9 days to go in this cycle beofre NLI day.

Take it for whatever you think it's worth.

Glad you posted this. Because honestly I've been hearing about how this year's class is the best ever, yet on paper it looks like the same old story.

In the interest of full disclosure, I think ranking recruiting classes before the kids graduate high school is one of the dumbest things in the world. But, if you're going to look at this year's class on paper (which is the only way you can view it), there's really not a lot of different from years past.

If we go 11-1 and play in the 2015 Orange Bowl then we can say it was one of the best ever. But until then......not seeing any significant difference whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Glad you posted this. Because honestly I've been hearing about how this year's class is the best ever, yet on paper it looks like the same old story.

In the interest of full disclosure, I think ranking recruiting classes before the kids graduate high school is one of the dumbest things in the world. But, if you're going to look at this year's class on paper (which is the only way you can view it), there's really not a lot of different from years past.

If we go 11-1 and play in the 2015 Orange Bowl then we can say it was one of the best ever. But until then......not seeing any significant difference whatsoever.

In the ratings, it's not much different, so far, than what we've done in the past. Mid 60s. THere's still a lot can change there though over the next week.

But I think you're very much wrong when you line up the recruiting class on paper. #1, major, major difference is that we've got a very large number of kids that have been committed to UConn for many months now, commits that have been on board, since well before last season even started. #2. is the places we've gone and the competition we've gone up against in recruiting. We are stepping into the ring in places and with people that we have not been doing before.

I've mentioned this elsewhere too, it's become very clear that the incoming staff feels a need to upgrade competition immediately, and have specifically targeted upperclassmen, junior college players at a rate, and focus, that we haven't seen before. We've alos got more transfers IN to the program in just this one 2012 class, from other BCS level compeition, than we've had come in to the program from other 1-A programs in the last 15 years.

When you look at the level of athlete we're bringing in, there is a marked difference in physical characteristics, specifically in the WR, LB, and DB groups.

So, while the ratings are what they are, a very much disagree that the class we're bringing in is not really different from years past.

This coming year, is when we'll get a real good measure of where we stand recruiting wise with high school seniors, as it will really be the first full year cycle of players that have been in contact since they were juniors in HS, and the focus, I'm assuming, will be mostly on bringing in the high school kids, rather than building up the top end of the depth chart with older players.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

i'm seeing it. more guys with other bcs offers than before and most of our guys have got 3* from atleast 1 of the recruit sites(tells me that some1 noticed the kid and agrees with our offer). i seem to remember alot of solid 2* across the board kids with no other offers..i agree its on the field years later for actual result of the class, but on paper i can see the difference. also dobbs/armstrong would have been great gets star wise on those rankings fwiw. were clearly in it with more high ranking kids also. i think byran/lanier/marder/puyol/williams(was a 3* but rivals dropped him to 2) are the only 2* kids in this class across the board. we all know puyol is a top prospect at his position...

Reaction Score
In terms of rankings, to the extent that anyone puts stock in this, this class appears marginally better. I don't see a material difference in BCS offers.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
For all the naming of old Whaler players in this thread, none of you named the heart and soul of the team, Kevin Dineen! He was traded for Murray Freaking Craven! Murray Craven!

Reaction Score
In the ratings, it's not much different, so far, than what we've done in the past. Mid 60s. THere's still a lot can change there though over the next week.

But I think you're very much wrong when you line up the recruiting class on paper. #1, major, major difference is that we've got a very large number of kids that have been committed to UConn for many months now, commits that have been on board, since well before last season even started. Our first commit this year, Samra, committed in June. Same timeframe as Nebrich last year and Smallwood the year before. #2. is the places we've gone and the competition we've gone up against in recruiting. We are stepping into the ring in places and with people that we have not been doing before. So we never lost recruits to PSU, BC, Rutty, and other southern BCS schools? Iowa? Nebraska? Michigan State? We never recruited against these schools for kids prior to this year?

I've mentioned this elsewhere too, it's become very clear that the incoming staff feels a need to upgrade competition immediately, and have specifically targeted upperclassmen, junior college players at a rate, and focus, that we haven't seen before. We've alos got more transfers IN to the program in just this one 2012 class, from other BCS level compeition, than we've had come in to the program from other 1-A programs in the last 15 years. I agree, we are bringing in a lot more transfers and JUCO's.

When you look at the level of athlete we're bringing in, there is a marked difference in physical characteristics, specifically in the WR, LB, and DB groups. Hate to keep disagreeing, but how exactly? We brought in kids who were 6'5" to play WR. Sheppard, Gennerett, I. Moore are physically different from the kids we're bringing how? The LB's are a little thicker but there's little to no difference in the physical attributes of the DB's.

So, while the ratings are what they are, a very much disagree that the class we're bringing in is not really different from years past.

This coming year, is when we'll get a real good measure of where we stand recruiting wise with high school seniors, as it will really be the first full year cycle of players that have been in contact since they were juniors in HS, and the focus, I'm assuming, will be mostly on bringing in the high school kids, rather than building up the top end of the depth chart with older players.

Reaction Score
In terms of rankings, to the extent that anyone puts stock in this, this class appears marginally better. I don't see a material difference in BCS offers.

its tough to judge BCS offers since technically all of that information is heresay. on top of that, simply looking at BCS offers is very superficial to begin with. there's obviously a big difference between a kid that commits to us early in the season with offers from several BCS schools and someone that commits on signing day after having picked up all of their BCS offers just before signing day. it seems in years past that our players that did have BCS offers got them late and were likely 3rd or 4th options whereas it seems this year we're getting kids that were high priority for other BCS schools from the get go. hopefully all of the incoming transfers is a good indicator of P's ability to sell the program. usually i would expect a new coach to have more transfers out than in, but he's done very well there

Reaction Score
And some if not all of those whalers went on to win the cup the ultimate kick in the balls!

Reaction Score
Oh I forgot team moved south and won the cup in 06 opps bigger kick in the balls!

Reaction Score
And some if not all of those whalers went on to win the cup the ultimate kick in the balls!

the kick in the balls is that their carpet bagger owner won a stanley cup. you have to be happy for Glen Wesley and whoever else may have been on the team. he certainly suffered long enough before getting it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom