Spring Practice 2019 | The Boneyard

Spring Practice 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fuller:No surprise departures as UConn updates roster in preparation for start of spring practice

>>The good news is that no additional scholarship players have departed following the previously announced decisions by Tyler Davis, Michael Tarbutt, Marshe’ Terry, Kevin Murphy to explore options at other colleges as graduate transfers in addition to Darrian Beavers and Jordan McAfee transferring to Cincinnati and Assumption respectively.

Non-scholarship players Jarrett Chaney, Anthony Repollet, Tenzin Pharachesur and Harrison Newman are not on the spring roster.<<

Reaction Score
Morrison to LB is the only position change I noticed on the spring roster. Fortt stays at LB.

Reaction Score
I saw that Terrence Ganyi also moved to LB. Fingers crossed that one of these guys can be the speedy linebacker that was missing last year. And amazing that Jay Rose is the only TE listed on the roster. I wonder if Giuffre/Edsall would use one of the offensive lineman as a 3rd down blocking TE? Or maybe Donavan Williams or AJ Garson sees some time at TE?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I saw that Terrence Ganyi also moved to LB. Fingers crossed that one of these guys can be the speedy linebacker that was missing last year. And amazing that Jay Rose is the only TE listed on the roster. I wonder if Giuffre/Edsall would use one of the offensive lineman as a 3rd down blocking TE? Or maybe Donavan Williams or AJ Garson sees some time at TE?

Williams has made the shift according to the staff, the roster just doesn’t reflect it yet.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It’s absurd that Dunn’s offense emphasized the tight end and we ended up with only two on the roster, none of which are true tight ends.

Reaction Score
I like William's potential to have a similar role as McLean last year and create some mismatches. Obviously he has a lot less experience than McLean had but is a good athlete.

The Ganyi part raises another question for me. Is the plan to stick with the hybrid as the third "linebacker"? The issue the last 2 years has been they are too small to take on blockers and make tackles and too slow to serve the true purpose that I think Edsall is looking for.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It's even worse when you consider that Diaco brought in what felt like 30 tight ends during his stint.

Right?!? Every one of our recruits was a TE/DE. How have we ended up with no tight ends lmao

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Right?!? Every one of our recruits was a TE/DE. How have we ended up with no tight ends lmao

Dont understand why Garson is not moved to TE. He played it in HS. He has the right frame and would be bound to see the field a lot more in 2019.

Otherwise, Jeff Woods played a lot of TE in HS. Might see him play there this spring during short yardage and red zone. I could see the same for Lundt, but he is not here until August.

Reaction Score
Looks like there are a lot of undersized defensive linemen on the roster. Maybe one or two of them make the switch? Watts is 230 lbs. That's pretty thin for a lineman. Has some speed, likes to hit and has length to eventually fit a TE's role once he learns how to out leap a defender and catch. Devaughn is another one. 230 lbs, 6'4". Looks like it'll be years for either one to grow into a D-1 defensive lineman. There is also Medlock from Desoto TX coming in the summer who has played TE in HS. But he's a true freshman and the other two have been in college for at least a year.

Reaction Score
Looks like there are a lot of undersized defensive linemen on the roster. Maybe one or two of them make the switch? Watts is 230 lbs. That's pretty thin for a lineman. Has some speed, likes to hit and has length to eventually fit a TE's role once he learns how to out leap a defender and catch. Devaughn is another one. 230 lbs, 6'4". Looks like it'll be years for either one to grow into a D-1 defensive lineman. There is also Medlock from Desoto TX coming in the summer who has played TE in HS. But he's a true freshman and the other two have been in college for at least a year.
Pass rushers are far more valuable than tight ends. I would only move a DE if he proved to be ineffective at rushing the QB.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Eh, if a guy like Watts can put on 15 pounds he's a good sized edge rusher. Watts is really tall, his frame probably can put on double that. Especially if we end up running a 4-3, our edge rushers won't have to be huge.

Reaction Score
I try to be positive, but I look at our LBs and shutter. How can a defense be good without good LBs?

Reaction Score
Fuller:UConn football team has plenty of issues to address in spring practice

>>The UConn football team will hold the first of 15 spring practices on Tuesday. Coming off a 1-11 season and with a defense that statistically was the worst in major college football history, there are plenty of questions facing the Huskies moving forward. Here are five things to look for over the next five weeks.

1. Passing grades?:
2. Gift of grab:
3. Getting coordinated:

4. Stability, stability, stability:
5. Center of attention: <<

Reaction Score
Maybe Du
Dont understand why Garson is not moved to TE. He played it in HS. He has the right frame and would be bound to see the field a lot more in 2019.

Otherwise, Jeff Woods played a lot of TE in HS. Might see him play there this spring during short yardage and red zone. I could see the same for Lundt, but he is not here until August.
nn was recruit B
It’s absurd that Dunn’s offense emphasized the tight end and we ended up with only two on the roster, none of which are true tight ends.
i agree, especially if he went to the Jets as the TE coach. Maybe he was planning on Beaudry being a tight end when he gets here in June. It wouldn’t be the first time. It really doesn’t matter, we just have to put the pieces in the right place and start winning games.

C

Chief00

Fuller:No surprise departures as UConn updates roster in preparation for start of spring practice

>>The good news is that no additional scholarship players have departed following the previously announced decisions by Tyler Davis, Michael Tarbutt, Marshe’ Terry, Kevin Murphy to explore options at other colleges as graduate transfers in addition to Darrian Beavers and Jordan McAfee transferring to Cincinnati and Assumption respectively.

Non-scholarship players Jarrett Chaney, Anthony Repollet, Tenzin Pharachesur and Harrison Newman are not on the spring roster.<<
LOL - what upper class men are left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul