Spring game first impression | The Boneyard

Spring game first impression

Reaction Score
Probably the best Spring game I've attended.I love the up tempo offense.Receivers made some great catches.I'm still concerned about the O-line opening holes for the running backs.Does anybody know who the ex- player was on the sidelines wearing the light brown suit ?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Very interesting and fun to watch
Something we haven't seen a number of years. This is a offense and defense I can get behind compared to last year's disaster.

Offensive line needs work but that was expected. The pass blocking was better than I thought which was a nice surprise. The run blocking was subpar but Vickers and Hopkins both had good moments. Thompson is tough as nails and had a nice catch out of the backfield.
Both quarterbacks look decent and both threw a nice long ball. Not sure either is the starter come August but both looks the part at least.
Tight ends look decent but both starters dropped a pass but also made a couple of nice catches. Again the blocking needs improvement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone have more about O-line and D-line? I don't think we go very far without them. Felt O-line played better late last year, but they lost a few folks. Were Hopkins and Crozier suited up?

Reaction Score
Anyone have more about O-line and D-line? I don't think we go very far without them. Felt O-line played better late last year, but they lost a few folks. Were Hopkins and Crozier suited up?

No on Hopkins/Crozier. Hard to tell overall w/ people bouncing back and forth between teams.

Reaction Score
I was talking to Aarkeel's brother early in the spring and he told me if he doesn't step up, Hopkins will take his spot. I wasn't sure if that was true, but he looked like a difference maker tonigjt.

Reaction Score
Agree with Bill above on most points, interesting and fun watch for a spring game. This in November weather ;).
Very nice crowd for a dank heavy traffic Friday. Hard to tell much in a team playing itself but QB's had time to make more than one read which we have not seen for a while.
The garb sale was both a money maker for the school and a guarantee we will have more people in the stands wearing the school colors! :D

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If this offensive line gives whoever the QB is enough time, we have playmakers on the outside. Dixon, Skanes and Beals showed good speed and wiggle. Hopkins showed something and could be a good backup. The D had 3 opportunities for picks and could not do it- Hahn read a bubble screen and if he had secured it would have had a pick 6. Fortt played well at corner. Overall, much crisper speed wise and the both QB's without tons of pressure dropped some nice balls in.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Diaco was worse than I thought.

I just had a 5 minute fight with myself based on your sentence. On the one hand, I know that your sentence is technically impossible. Diaco did things I've never seen a football coach do on any level.

On the other hand, I think I agree with you...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Off topic and we bitch about it every year but the stadium "security" was extra salty tonight. It's a problem the school should address with the Rent's management.

I agree with that 100% as I was sitting in the upper level and some security guard telling us we need to move and then another one coming over and saying no we could stay. This needs to improve as we the fans/season ticket holders shouldn't put up with this behavior, especially in this lousy weather.

Let me add one more thing. I was told by my ticket person to go and get my $25 dollar voucher for a UConn event in the future at gate D. When I went out and tried to come back in I was told I had to leave my water behind. I bought the water inside and had to have a supervisor come over to say it was okay.

Reaction Score
Anyone have a link to the game stats? I am interested in the ground game. How many carries, yards per carry?

Reaction Score
I came away still extremely concerned about the O Line. Not good at all.

Eddie Hahn and Tyler Coyle are two guys who stood out to me on defense.

Keyion Dixon also really stood out to me. Catches with his hands, uses his tall frame to make himself a big target and is shifty.

Ian Campbell needs to bend his knees more but he showed some flashes at tackle.

Reaction Score

Not a good game for them. Interior line is going to be a huge problem. Very concerned both from reports on spring practices and watching the scrimmage last night.

Reaction Score
Not a good game for them. Interior line is going to be a huge problem. Very concerned both from reports on spring practices and watching the scrimmage last night.

-Two starters were out.
-Probably still a chance for a grad transfer.
-The read option will make life much easier for the O-line as will
- The up tempo, quick screens and frequent misdirection plays

We have a modern offense now and a big part of what this modern offense does is make it much easier to play O-line because the D-line will be gassed and frequently fooled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom