Spring Game/Basketball Teams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Spring Game/Basketball Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Scheduling the b-ball teams to be present at the football stadium for a post spring game event of some sort, with free admission to the stadium, seems like a no-brainer to me to draw lots of people to Rentschler on Saturday afternoon.

Reaction Score
If you're wanting a parade from downtown to the Rent you must have never run a parade before.

a) it's a 4 mile walk, at a parade pace that's about a 3 hour walk.
b) parade participants have to get back to their vehicles/buses after the parade/rally

Having some players and the trophies at the Rent for viewing is a no-brainer

Reaction Score
I'd be willing to be that the parade idea was a post midnight, six or seven drink minimum thought process. The heart of idea is coming up with a concept and then plan to draw lots of people to Rentschler on Saturday afternoon - and the basketball programs success this past weekend has great potential to be a manageable way to do it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Only by stretching the meaning of legitimate.

For a spring game? Other than a handful of schools that get tens of thousands it's not like many are getting 5 figures.

Reaction Score
If you're wanting a parade from downtown to the Rent you must have never run a parade before.

a) it's a 4 mile walk, at a parade pace that's about a 3 hour walk.
b) parade participants have to get back to their vehicles/buses after the parade/rally

Having some players and the trophies at the Rent for viewing is a no-brainer

I was envisioning primarily a double-decker bus trip at about 5 mph around the city, then up to about 25 mph from downtown to the Rent. Clearly, walking would make this difficult, if not impossible, for the vast majority of participants.

Reaction Score
I was envisioning primarily a double-decker bus trip at about 5 mph around the city, then up to about 25 mph from downtown to the Rent. Clearly, walking would make this difficult, if not impossible, for the vast majority of participants.

:) LIke I wrote, seems like a post midnight six or seven drink minimum idea.

No, I think it would be great to use the plaza area by the scoreboard to set up a giant tent with a meet and greet line that basically runs the entire time the football team is on the field. Let people in to meet everybody small group at a time. Advertise the hell out of it in the next two days. Free parking free admission to Rentschler, meet the basketball teams in person. Herd the line into the stands rather than under the tunnels if the lines get long. The regular footballers will be there anyway. Bring some new people into Rentschler field.

It's not like it's new for the hoops teams - they set up tents outside the stadium at least once a year in the fall.

Reaction Score

Part of the draw for the parade is the rally. If you're going to the rally, are you going to park at the Rent, then walk 2 miles to founders bridge to watch a bus drive by at 25MPH, then try and walk back to the rent before the rally starts?

Most importantly it makes it absolutely impossible for people to enjoy both the parade and the rally. You'd have to pick one.

There is no reason not to have celebration at the football game with the trophies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As much as the parade has been a tradition, I completely agree with whaler's first post. I understand the logistics of having the parade shipped over to the Rent would be a pain, and there probably would not be a lot of people that would transfer from hartford and over to the stadium for whatever reason. However, I cannot fathom any other reason beyond something insane such as Hathoway and Emmert teaming together to make our plans that we would not in some way shape or form have the UConn team and trophies there at the stadium to at least draw SOME additional attendance to the spring game (for the record I like Carl Spackler's idea of the tent & meet and greet). Over the course of the last year I've come across more and more people that are one sided, either Football or Basketball, and for a state school that is as small as ours, I can't for the life of me see why we don't get more crossover from such a tight fanbase, and feel this would be an excellent opportunity to expose those that are just basketball oriented to the fun times that are gamedays at the Rent.

Reaction Score
Couldn't the parade be at the Rent? I mean down the runway then loop back around seems like it would be about the same size and length as it is in Hartford. You can start it at say noon, have the rally at 2 to pump up the crowd, then play the spring game to finish it off and somehow work HCBD in there for added energy to the bucket. I'm not sure if that's even feasible, but if it is I think that would be an awesome way to end the basketball season/hype up the football season. Either way I hope they find a way to get both teams at the spring game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be some kind of meet and greet at the Blue-White game. But they give parades for champions. I can't believe so many want to cheapen this tribute, making it just another pre-game activity to draw the casual fan. Twin Champions sharing the undercard with the Bounce House and face painting.

Reaction Score
I didn't suggest they shouldn't have a parade. THey are going to have a parade. On Sunday. I think the idea of having a parade that somehow goes from Hartford to East Hartford or parade around the airfield isn't a very good idea.

I think it's a fantastic idea, as I said, to bring the trophy's and have the players and coaches all at the spring game - INSIDE the stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom