Spring Football (March 22nd > April 21st) | The Boneyard

Spring Football (March 22nd > April 21st)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Thread to discuss spring practice at UConn.

Okay, I've got nothing yet on the spring plans. Anyone know when spring ball begins?

Also, lets get going with the spring transfer confirmations. Which of our new inbound portal kids are on campus for spring? Chime in with sightings/info.

Reaction Score
When are open tryouts? This new coaching staff has me JACKED UP, and I still have 4 years of eligibility for football left!
Instead of Invincible are you thinking unCONNquerable? Don’t forget to wear cape to tryout like Phillys proud son, Tony Luke, did.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Instead of Invincible are you thinking unCONNquerable? Don’t forget to wear cape to tryout like Phillys proud son, Tony Luke, did.
I don't know how many Mora of these bad puns I can take ;)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I would prefer a spring game, but I would take another open practice at the stadium if that is the consolation prize.

With the way the portal is now, wonder if some coaches will be thinking twice about letting anyone hidden on their roster shine. Just saying.

Reaction Score
I always liked the Spring game but never assumed it showed anything. I remember 1 season where a running back looked like a combination of Franco Harris, Gale Sayers, and Barry Sanders in the first half Playing for the Blue. 2nd half the put him on the White squad and he looked even better. First regular season game he had 1 carry for minimal gain. I don’t think he ever got off the bench after that.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I always liked the Spring game but never assumed it showed anything. I remember 1 season where a running back looked like a combination of Franco Harris, Gale Sayers, and Barry Sanders in the first half Playing for the Blue. 2nd half the put him on the White squad and he looked even better. First regular season game he had 1 carry for minimal gain. I don’t think he ever got off the bench after that.
Sure that was pre portal. Now every school has 15 guys combing constantly for plug and play or plug first string backups.

Anywho- the kids themselves, when they score a TD or make a few tackles- they too will be putting out that portal antennae.

It is what it is however- can’t hide.

Reaction Score
No hiding. The good kids will be competing for PT here not depth elsewhere. The others, well they may look to the portal.

Back to big boy football. And that includes a spring game.

Reaction Score

Big fan of the spring game. Sometimes guys will flash and disappear. But we have also had guys like Scott Lutrus come out of nowhere, have an amazing spring game, and go on to be very good players.

I always looked at the spring game as an oasis in a football desert. Something to break up the off season.

Reaction Score
I have enjoyed attending with my family. Found it misleading since it is typically is the offense good? Or is the defense bad? Find out the first game.

Reaction Score
I miss the Spring game. Keeps the fans engaged in the off-season. Hope that Mora will push for it since he's been actively involved in promoting UConn football since the hire.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
One of my favorite spring games was when it was streamed and Edsall 1.0 was on for part of the broadcast providing insight.

I really hope they stream the game this year.

Reaction Score
I have enjoyed attending with my family. Found it misleading since it is typically is the offense good? Or is the defense bad? Find out the first game.
Don't need to wait for the first game. For the last 11 years, the answer has been it's not that that unit is really good, it's that the other unit is really bad.

Reaction Score
We need the spring game back. Fun time. But will probably get cut for budget reasons
How about they put up some temp' goal posts, re-line it and play it right here ? It shouldn't cost the school much on the rental, LOL...and would make all the FB on campus fans happy, at least for the day. ;) ( Locker room ain't far away either)

Clark-Companies-University-of-Connecticut-Joseph-J-Morrone-Stadium-at-Rizza-Performance-Center-Synthetic-Turf-Soccer-Field.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The spring game is fun. There will be a LOT of interest this year. If the weather is good, it could be something special. I have even enjoyed spring games when you had to brush the snow off the seats. I do not care what it shows or doesn't show. It is football. In the spring. They sell beer. That is all that is needed.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
How about they put up some temp' goal posts, re-line it and play it right here ? It shouldn't cost the school much on the rental, LOL...and would make all the FB on campus fans happy, at least for the day. ;) ( Locker room ain't far away either)

Clark-Companies-University-of-Connecticut-Joseph-J-Morrone-Stadium-at-Rizza-Performance-Center-Synthetic-Turf-Soccer-Field.jpg
I tweeted a similar thought last month:

FWIW I asked my ticket guy when upgrading if he expected a Spring Game. Said he hadn’t heard anything about one happening.

There will surely be positional battles, young guys rising up, etc. Not allowing any fan access to the team until 8/27 would be extremely stupid IMO. There will be something that happens, whether its the Spring or Fall, that allows for fans (maybe STX holders?) access to the team.

Mora isn’t a dumb guy- he knows the team needs PR help from local and national media. I’d bet we’ll see much more coverage of spring practice this year if nothing else.

Reaction Score

That’s a good idea. They do that at MLS stadiums.

Reaction Score
Brilliant take. Thankfully, you’re as far away from folks making decisions as is possible.
I like the idea because it would be on campus in a more intimate setting. I'm sure enough die hards and season ticket holders south of the Rent will make the extra 25 minute trip to go. Giving some of the campus community the ability to wander over to watch would also be good. Finally, I also agree with Zoo that the jingoistic soccer-bashing is old, and those holding onto those attitudes are becoming more irrelevant in the sporting fandom landscape.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom