Sportswoman of the year | The Boneyard

Sportswoman of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love Serena and she had a great year, but I think Carli Lloyd should have gotten this one. What a great year for women's sports though.

Reaction Score
I'm really disappointed about how transphobic many of the messages on this board have been. The vulgar jokes about genitalia and the condescending dismissal of a person's identity/life decision are saddening for an otherwise aware message board.

I dislike Caitlyn Jenner based on my opinion of her actions both pre and post change. I also agree that she is undeserving of most of the accolades she has received.

HOWEVER, it is not "political correctness" or "ESPN-speak" to be respectful of someone's identity. Regardless of whether is is considered something biological or a choice, Caitlyn has legally changed her name and has identified as a she. Whether or not you agree with her, does it really hurt anyone/you to refer to her legal name or her self-identification as a woman?

And frankly, as adults, do you really think it's appropriate to make jokes about a person's genitalia? In the name of humor?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm really disappointed about how transphobic many of the messages on this board have been. The vulgar jokes about genitalia and the condescending dismissal of a person's identity/life decision are saddening for an otherwise aware message board.
Grow up and get over it.

HOWEVER, it is not "political correctness" or "ESPN-speak" to be respectful of someone's identity. Regardless of whether is is considered something biological or a choice, Caitlyn has legally changed her name and has identified as a she. Whether or not you agree with her, does it really hurt anyone/you to refer to her legal name or her self-identification as a woman?
Bruce Jenner was a fantastic athlete, one of the best I ever saw growing up. He won the Decathlon. He'll always be Bruce to me.

And frankly, as adults, do you really think it's appropriate to make jokes about a person's genitalia? In the name of humor?
Yes. Genitalia jokes are almost always funny. (Prolly 90% of the time). And especially when it's about someone who has plastered themselves all over TV and magazines.

Reaction Score
Grow up and get over it.
Bruce Jenner was a fantastic athlete, one of the best I ever saw growing up. He won the Decathlon. He'll always be Bruce to me.
Yes. Genitalia jokes are almost always funny. (Prolly 90% of the time). And especially when it's about someone who has plastered themselves all over TV and magazines.
Totally agree. I respect all men, women and transgenders to be himself, and find his/her identity.
But I do not like people doing for the money, for her TV show.

Reaction Score
IMO Bruce Jenner could have changed his identity, name, body, etc, and gone about his business. It still would have gotten some publicity because he's Bruce Jenner, and some of it would have been tasteless and unfair and that wouldn't be his fault. But he chose to push it WAY out there on the "Kardashian" end of the paparazzi zone, so he gets whatever he gets and it's on him.

Reaction Score
Was he somehow in the running for sports(wo)man of the year? What sport did he play this year? He turned his life into a joke when he started acting like a Kardashian.... so sad because I really liked him. I don't even know what type of person he is any more. I'm not even sure if he had his tallywacker chopped off or not. Not sure if I want to know. Oh well, best of luck to him and whatever life he chooses to live.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You may not like her, but she has legally changed her name to Caitlyn and she deserves to be referred to be her chosen and legal name.

The only problem with that is Bruce was the athlete. Caitlyn is merely a reality TV star. ESPN seemed to have been confused there.

Genitalia jokes are always funny. First day stuff.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Fixed that for you.
I don't need you to fix anything for me.

I say what I mean and I mean what I say. If you don't like it, don't read it or put me on ignore. Trust me, my feelings won't be hurt.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Just wanted to re-write what you wrote for the sake of clarity. "Politically correct" is a synonym for "being kind." So, if you don't like being kind, oh, well, at least everyone's clear on that.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
6357291760455849181055984905_serena.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"Politically correct" is a synonym for "being kind."
Ummmm, no it's not. Not even in the same ballpark. Pretty much have nothing to do with each other.

Though I'm very happy we've veered off and are not talking about what's her face. :cool:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ummmm, no it's not. Not even in the same ballpark. Pretty much have nothing to do with each other.

Though I'm very happy we've veered off and are not talking about what's her face. :cool:

Hahah. My opinion is that 'politically correct' is 1984 thought control (censorship). The blanket of PC is stultifying at best.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Just wanted to re-write what you wrote for the sake of clarity. "Politically correct" is a synonym for "being kind." So, if you don't like being kind, oh, well, at least everyone's clear on that.
I really don't concern myself with being kind any more than I go out of my way to offend. Some people, and based upon your responce to a simple joke, you, fall into this group. They see insults, bigotry, homophobia, etc......behind every action or comment. They then scream, yell, and protest until they get their way.
Won't work with me. Hit me with some logic and I'll gladly listen.
BTW, my son , who came out 5 years ago, feels pretty much the same way I do about Jenner. He capitalized on his/her name and situation for personal profit. Had he done it privately, I might treat it differently.

Lets get back to basketball, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog