OT: - Sports Pope returning to WFAN | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Sports Pope returning to WFAN

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, I'll listen today. On my lazy days when I'm in the office the entire day a schedule of Dan Patrick 9-12, Rich Eisen 12-3 and Fatso from 3-5 ain't too shabby.

TKs

Reaction Score
I don't think you can judge Francesa's skills or appeal based on a documentary about talk radio, it is by definition not interesting. A doc not about sports but about guys talking about sports on the radio = not compelling TV. And it wasn't well done - the doc was too much about THAT they changed sports radio and not enough about the quality of their show and discussions.

Also dating back to 80's or early 90's Mike has proven via CBS that he's not good on TV.

Regardless he's way too old and regional to go national on radio or a podcast with anything more than a cult following (Imus again) so I don't know why I'm clarifying this point. If he truly was retiring he should have done something like what Letterman did/is doing or Bob Ryan (still writes occasional column, was a regular on other podasts/radio spots, now has his own podcast). Less money in that is likely the issue as other's have pointed out illustrated by Manhasset lifestyle.

Speaking of Manhasset has anyone read "The Tender Bar"? Phenomenal book, they've threatened a movie but nothing ever materializes.
"The Tender Bar" is a GREAT book. One of my favorites. Andre Agassi liked it so much he had the author JR Moehringer help him write his autobiography "Open". Another book I enjoyed.

Reaction Score
I'll definitely be listening... Not a Mike lover or hater, I just typically listen to the FAN regardless of who is on. I can virtually guarantee he'll be a better listen than the tripe they've been throwing out in that slot since January (although Maggie Gray has potential.) I'm incredibly curious what Mike's open is going to be. Can he be humble in the least (I know, I know) in regards to an 18-month farewell tour just to come back 5 months later with a pay cut?

Reaction Score
I'll be listening for sure if I can get the piece of garbage Radio.com app to connect

Reaction Score
First thing he did was tell Mink to shut up so he could get started

It's AMAZING that he's somehow indignant today

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
He keeps talking about this "app".

I would be absolutely shocked if he really has any idea what an app is or why he needs one

There’s gotta be a ton of money to be made with that aap and that’s why he’s back.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Ugh - I ran into him in the middle of the Roy Halliday (Fire Felger) nonsense when he was protesting at 98.5.

So you're either Scott Zolak or the wacky FM DJ who came outside to try to use Minihane's stunt for ratings?

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Mike's on radio to promote the app! Apps are the future!

Reaction Score
So you're either Scott Zolak or the wacky FM DJ who came outside to try to use Minihane's stunt for ratings?

No - I was a bystander that had a meeting at 98.5 that day and happened to walk into the middle of it. He blindsided me and stuck a mic in my face. I was just trying to get into the building. It is somewhere in the video posted on the WEEI site.

Reaction Score
There’s gotta be a ton of money to be made with that aap and that’s why he’s back.
Maybe? Presumably there will be paid subscriptions offered but I do wonder who the audience for that stuff is. Surely his listeners skew older, and older people generally can't be bothered with apps let alone paying to subscribe to one.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
A. Live in Boston, our sports radio is terrible, mostly unlistenable unless you want Pats 365/24/7.
B. Was in CT for Mike & the Mad dog early years, nothing compares
C. Was about done with Mike, liked him less on his own, his pompous attitude only tolerable in small doses
D. Thought retirement saga overblown, drama queen, dinosaur
E. Looked forward to a podcast option though
UCONN - After seeing that clip about the clown & 'those close to Calhoun think he'll retire', I'm 1000% on board for him to be back on FAN. GO Mike!

The thing is that people want Pats talk 24/7/365. As a 24 year old, I immediately turn off WEEI when they start talking Red Sox--no one my age likes baseball, even die hard sports fans. Of course, there are exceptions, but baseball is incredibly unpopular for young people. Sports Hub took over because they decided to focus on football while WEEI had to keep talking Sox because they carry all the games. That's my perception, at least.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
No - I was a bystander that had a meeting at 98.5 that day and happened to walk into the middle of it. He blindsided me and stuck a mic in my face. I was just trying to get into the building. It is somewhere in the video posted on the WEEI site.

Hahaha yes I remember you! Your 15 seconds of fame would indicate you don't have a very good sense of humor. You could have played along better haha. Actually, I don't fault you, I would have there ASAP. I'm too shy for that .

Reaction Score
The thing is that people want Pats talk 24/7/365. As a 24 year old, I immediately turn off WEEI when they start talking Red Sox--no one my age likes baseball, even die hard sports fans. Of course, there are exceptions, but baseball is incredibly unpopular for young people. Sports Hub took over because they decided to focus on football while WEEI had to keep talking Sox because they carry all the games. That's my perception, at least.
Not true what so ever.

Reaction Score
Hahaha yes I remember you! Your 15 seconds of fame would indicate you don't have a very good sense of humor. You could have played along better haha. Actually, I don't fault you, I would have there ASAP. I'm too shy for that .

I was completely lost. I hadn’t heard about Halliday at that point and was completely caught off guard. So I didn’t have a second to formulate a good response. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom