OT: - Sports Pope returning to WFAN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Sports Pope returning to WFAN

Reaction Score
They are not compelling at all, but I don’t hate them. I think they could find a better groove by rotating one of the off each day so it’s more two voices than three. Three voices is very hard to do.

Yeah, they're boring personalities. Maggie Gray is really good, she knows her stuff. Continent also knows his stuff but both of them are boring to most folks. There's a reason he's been around forever as a producer/fill-in guy. Bart Scott doesn't belong in such a prominent slot in NYC. He's not a NY native and was only with the Jets for four seasons, it's not like he was a super loved/famous NY athlete. Nor did he prove to be a great on-air talent before WFAN hired him. Only had a couple years experience doing NFL broadcasting stuff. It really was a puzzling decision to bring him in. Guys like him have trouble gaining credibility when they're on a show like this trying to talk about sports besides their primary one. I don't want to hear Bart Scott talk about the NBA like I don't want to hear Stephen A on ESPN NY talking about baseball or football.

In the world of sports talk radio you need strong personalities. You need well-placed humor or you need to be a divisive moron like Fatso, Cohwerd, Stephen A, etc. The Afternoon Drive is neither.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
A lot of people think that they only brought in CMB because they knew no matter who was slotted for the afternoon drive time after Mike was bound to fail.

Reaction Score
He's so much a better alternative then what they have now. I tried and couldn't stay with them more then 5 minutes.

They're awful and they only talk football. Middle of the tournament and they didn't even mention it. No baseball, all football.

Reaction Score
Got to imagine wfan reached out to Mike and begged him to come back after seeing ratings plummet

Reaction Score
Good news. Current show has been universally known as the worst show ever.

Reaction Score
Hopefully he's back in time to cover the beginning resurrection of UConn men's BB / The Hurley Era
Wish he was around when we hired Hurley. Would have probably interviewed Calhoun and Hurley. The Hurley interview with the current afternoon show was a joke and not worth a listen. Bunch of softball questions

Reaction Score
Just heard Carlin spin this that he is happy because it only makes the lineup and station stronger, and he actually says this with sincerity.This is a slap in their face. I hate the way Francessa treats many callers but he does have a pulse which is more than I can say for their afternoon show. Joe B and Evan would have been fine in the afternoon but they are going to 2?and then Carlin for 1 1/2 hours so Mile is 3:30 to 6 I guess. Mike takes so much time off that everyone will get airtime. No farewell tour next time.

Reaction Score
Just heard Carlin spin this that he is happy because it only makes the lineup and station stronger, and he actually says this with sincerity.This is a slap in their face.

I'm guessing the three of them knew their show wasn't the long-term solution. None of them have the resume to be in this slot on this station. At least he's handling it like a professional.

Reaction Score
They're awful and they only talk football. Middle of the tournament and they didn't even mention it. No baseball, all football.
No baseball is a good thing . imho. Nothing makes me change the station quicker than when the subject matter is baseball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe they're pulling the marketing gimmick like Coca Cola did with the new Coke. Replace the product with an inferior product, wait a little while and bring back the original product as "classic". Mike classic

Reaction Score
Love it!!

Uncle Mikey is back!!

Go look at the YouTube video in where Carlin falsely stated Jim Calhoun was retiring in 2010, Uncle Mikey calls him out on it and calls him a clown, lol.

Carlin is a clown....

Reaction Score
Maggie Grey is actually pretty strong. She's smart, knows her stuff, and has a personality. Carlin has always been boring and he tries to be too many personas. He's the straight man one minute, the angry ranter another, the poor comedian, etc. Bart Scott is awful. No matter what the subject, he is going to manipulate it to talk about either a) his struggle to be a football player, b) his (overstated) football career, c) or how he is rich and doesn't need the job. They could be talking baseball and Scott will start talking about his football career. Carlin even somewhat jokingly said that "not everything is about you, Bart" yesterday when they were talking baseball.

I do listen because I'm on my way home from work and it's on in the car. But it is really bad. Joe and Evan are sooooo much better and Francesa, for all of his narcissism and dbagerry, is such a better listen. Even if you dislike him, you want to listen to yell at him.

Reaction Score
No baseball is a good thing . imho. Nothing makes me change the station quicker than when the subject matter is baseball.
Talking about who is taking who in the draft is boring and serves no purpose. We’ll find out Thursday night, but this has been going on for months. At least in baseball there are actual games and performances to go over. I understand football games get ratings but it’s almost like summer hockey coverage in Canada.

Reaction Score
Talking about who is taking who in the draft is boring and serves no purpose. We’ll find out Thursday night, but this has been going on for months. At least in baseball there are actual games and performances to go over. I understand football games get ratings but it’s almost like summer hockey coverage in Canada.
Not if you find the game boring.

Reaction Score
I just don’t understand how Mike can and will spin this to make him look good. Thing is, his ego won’t allow him to even realize how bad this looks. I can see if it’s a year or so and you decided that you gave it some time but that you really still have that drive to do it but it’s been 4 months.

On the flip side, if the afternoon show was any good this wouldn’t even be happening. It’s horrible. Maggie’s the best of the three and honestly deserves better. It seems like nobody at WFAN wants him back. Just saw an article where he’s been dealing with Entercom (parent company of WFAN) and going above Chernoff’s head.

Classic case of the two entities (WFAN and Mike) simply needing each other.

I just don’t see how he can hold his head high after the year plus of retirement crap. Hell, his final call was his wife saying his family needs him and now it’s time to come home.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Love it!!

Uncle Mikey is back!!

Go look at the YouTube video in where Carlin falsely stated Jim Calhoun was retiring in 2010, Uncle Mikey calls him out on it and calls him a clown, lol.

Carlin is a clown....

The first twenty times he said Carlin's name, I thought he was calling him "Connor."

Reaction Score
I just don’t understand how Mike can and will spin this to make him look good. Thing is, his ego won’t allow him to even realize how bad this looks. I can see if it’s a year or so and you decided that you gave it some time but that you really still have that drive to do it but it’s been 4 months.

On the flip side, if the afternoon show was any good this wouldn’t even be happening. It’s horrible. Maggie’s the best of the three and honestly deserves better. It seems like nobody at WFAN wants him back. Just saw an article where he’s been dealing with Entercom (parent company of WFAN) and going above Chernoff’s head.

Classic case of the two entities (WFAN and Mike) simply needing each other.

I just don’t see how he can hold his head high after the year plus of retirement crap. Hell, his final call was his wife saying his family needs him and now it’s time to come home.
Who cares, Uncle Mikey is the best business and we should all be happy he is back!!

Does it look bad on all accounts? Yes, but it’s never going to change the narrative, Uncle Mikey is the best in the business!!

Reaction Score
Love it!!

Uncle Mikey is back!!

Carlin is a clown....

How did I miss this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom