Sports' Most Unbreakable Records | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sports' Most Unbreakable Records

Reaction Score
All MLB pitching records set in the early days because players aren't used the same way The consecutive hits record to me is one that can be broke but never will. 111 wins in a row is tough but I think Geno could break it if he got the right combination of players. He has them now but unfortunately they have something going on in their conditioning. The most likely to be broken is the Henderson steal records with new rules and bigger bases.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I don't know. IF UCONN gets another dominant post player Geno and his staff could do it again. I don't think any other coach can but I don't think parity exists in the women's game just yet. When they come in and leave after a year it could be a thing, but not now. To me parity is built through the coaches and UCONN still gets the best players and they do it consistently.
Respectfully, UConn hasn't won a title once since the entering frosh were in elementary school. The idea that they'd go undefeated for essentially three full seasons seems more than a little unlikely. If healthy, the Huskies are the team to beat this season, but so was SCAR last season, and we all know how that turned out. It's really, really damned hard to never have an off night, and again, it's a testament to Stewie, Mo, Tuck (and Geno) that they maintained such insane day-in, day-out discipline and execution for the better part of 4 years.

Reaction Score
I've got one that I'm pretty sure will never, ever, be touched, don't think it will ever be tied, and virtually impossible to break. Are you ready? Cincinnati Red's pitcher Johnny Vander Meer's two consecutive no-hitters back in the late 1930's.

It would be a monster of an accomplishment to even tie that record, and to break it, someone has to hurl 3 in a row. Three in a row? Now that would be nigh on impossible.

Reaction Score
Rick Wise was a good pitcher during his 18 year major league career. In 1971 he pitched a no-hitter and hit two home runs in the same game. Even the mighty Otani will have to be very lucky to match that feat.

Reaction Score
I'd throw UConn's 111 winning streak into the latter - there's just too much parity in WCBB for that to ever take place these days. Look at the men's game: longest winning streak in MCBB in the past 40 years? UNLV, at 45, in 1990-91, which was a dominant team in a mediocre league, and won one championship as part of that streak. Even those conditions aren't really possible these days.
Yeah UConn's 111 game win streak will stand for a quite a while, at that D-1 level. I am sure somewhere there is a D-II or D-III in some sport that is like "Hey. We won 120 games in a row. Don't we count?" Not for this conversation.

I also think Wilt's 50 ppg will never be broken. Same with his rebounds per game (27.2) or his most rebounds in one game of 55. The players aren't built like that these days. Heck at 35 years of age, Wilt was still hauling in 15 ppg and 19 boards per game. Players are into the load management. Wilt was playing 82 games plus the playoffs and putting up insane numbers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah UConn's 111 game win streak will stand for a quite a while, at that D-1 level. I am sure somewhere there is a D-II or D-III in some sport that is like "Hey. We won 120 games in a row. Don't we count?" Not for this conversation.

I also think Wilt's 50 ppg will never be broken. Same with his rebounds per game (27.2) or his most rebounds in one game of 55. The players aren't built like that these days. Heck at 35 years of age, Wilt was still hauling in 15 ppg and 19 boards per game. Players are into the load management. Wilt was playing 82 games plus the playoffs and putting up insane numbers.

In Wilt’s 50 ppg season, he averaged over 48 minutes per game. I think he played all of every game, including a couple of overtime games. No load management for him!

Reaction Score
In Wilt’s 50 ppg season, he averaged over 48 minutes per game. I think he played all of every game, including a couple of overtime games. No load management for him!
Yes, he averaged 48.5 mpg. Played every minute, including 8 OT games. You could easily put this accomplishment onto the list of the records that are impossible to break.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I don't know if this is unbreakable record, but Robin Yount was only 18 when he started every game as a position player. He is the last 18 year old to hit a home run, and broke Mel Ott's record for most games started under 20 years old. ( Although I don't know what the record is.) It may not be unbreakable, but it is pretty impressive.

Reaction Score
In baseball, many years ago Baseball Digest had these 5 unbreakable records- 1) Joe D 56 game streak 2) Rogers Hornsby .424 season batting average 3) Cy Young 511 career wins 4) Jack Chesbro 41 wins in a season 5) Lou Gehrig- They were wrong on this one. In basketball I would add Wilt's 100 point game.

Reaction Score
All MLB pitching records set in the early days because players aren't used the same way The consecutive hits record to me is one that can be broke but never will. 111 wins in a row is tough but I think Geno could break it if he got the right combination of players. He has them now but unfortunately they have something going on in their conditioning. The most likely to be broken is the Henderson steal records with new rules and bigger bases.
Ricky's career SB record is pretty stout. When I was stationed in San Diego, Ricky was playing for the Padres, and our neighbor could not go to the game as he was going to be out of town. He gave me the tickets and I took my youngest son to a Saturday afternoon game. As we sat down, Ricky led off the game with a walk (new career walks record); on the third pitch to the next batter, he steals second (new career stolen base record); after a strike out, the pitcher goes 1-2 on the next batter, Ricky steals third (new career stolen base record). Made my day in the first inning, and that the Padres won that day was icing on the cake.

Best day at the ballpark ever!

Reaction Score
Yes, he averaged 48.5 mpg. Played every minute, including 8 OT games. You could easily put this accomplishment onto the list of the records that are impossible to break.
How about trying to top Wilt's quintuple double? Unofficial since steals and blocks were not officially tracked back then. But according to Wikipedia he had 53 points, 32 rebounds, 14 assists, 24 blocks, and 11 steals in a game in 1968.

Reaction Score
Just remembered another one that will never be broken. De Lasalle High School, a Catholic ,all boys High School in Concord, California had a 151 game win streak in football from 1992 to2003 with no ties. The School only has about 900 to 1000 students enrolled. I think this one will endure.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Penn State volleyball with their 4 titles/109 straight wins/111 straight sets are all NCAA volleyball records I don't see getting matched or broken anytime in the near future, or possibly ever. NCAA volleyball for years was dominated by the west coast, then primarily 3 programs (Stanford/Penn State/Nebraska) but parity is much greater in recent times and is no longer dominated by just a few goliaths. No one has seriously threatened to go undefeated since Penn State in 2009.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom