sports heroes growing up | The Boneyard

sports heroes growing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've seen a few different post on the sight that I found to be very interesting from basketball, baseball, football to music and fashion. I know that this is a basketball sight, and we LIKE to talk about UCONN basketball all the time, but, every so often, it's nice to change up the subject line.

For one, I'm really amazed at how much the BY'ers know about music. Music has always been one of my passions, and so has sports. I got to thinking; I don't remember ever seeing a thread like this. I may have missed it because I don't check the boneyard every day or I go for weeks for that matter without checking in and looking at the thread lines.

I decided to start a thread (I think it may be my first, don't remember) about who we had as our sports heroes growing up. I was very active in sports for most of my healthy and active life and I still remember my sports heroes I had as a kid.

So, I'll start it off.

My very first sports hero I ever had as a kid was Harmon Killebrew with the Minnesota Twins. I remember I liked him because he hit monstrous home runs and he was one of the nice guys in baseball. You didn't ever have to worry about him throwing a bat, a glove or a tantrum, he was always the same, good or bad. I will always remember Harmon Killebrew and what he meant to me as a kid, a great role model and someone I would have loved to meet.

As I got into following football later on, my football hero was Alan Page with, you guessed it, the Minnesota Vikings. I wore his number in junior high school and in high school and even played the same position he did. I loved putting on jersey #88 and trying to emulate everything he did. He was tough, quick and smart on top of everything else.

There they are, my two first sports heroes I had as a kid.

Baseball: Harmon Killebrew
Football: Alan Page

Reaction Score
Doctor J. In 1976, I was with my parents at Valle's Steak House. We were in the bar waiting for our table to be ready and I watched this:

I was 9 years old and hooked ever since. I still have a pretty decent amount of Dr J memorabilia, magazines, cards, etc. Also some kitschy ABA stuff like a George McGinnis ashtray, some ticket stubs to championship games and things of that nature. When I was maybe 18, Doc played in a pro-am at the GHO. On the 18th hold, he hit his drive and was walking up the fairway. I gave my friend my camera and told him to start taking pictures and I ran under the ropes up to Doc and asked him to take a picture with me. Thankfully, I didn't get kicked out, though it'd have been worth it even if I did. The thing I remember most were that his hands were huge. Like two giant sirloin steaks.

Reaction Score
From the age of 10 to 15 or so....
Tom Seaver
Fred Lynn - Saaaawx
Nick Fotiu - WHA Whalers' enforcer
Fran Tarkenton
Joey Whelton, UCONN
Vitas Gerulaitis - tennis

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
As kid...Brad Van Pelt. And Mercury Morris.

Later...Ron Guidry and Dave Righetti.

Then stopped idolizing.

Reaction Score
Ken Griffey
Charles Barkley
Dennis Rodman
Bernard King
Dominique
Bo Jackson
LT

Reaction Score
Interesting thread idea! As a young kid in the late 90s/early 00s, and being in the NY area, I gravitated towards the great players of that last Yankee dynasty. Tino was my favorite when I was really young, because he played first base and batted lefty, just like me (I'm a true lefty, and well aware Tino was right handed. Was a bit of a shock when I realized this later haha). Also from that team, I loved Jeter and the rest of the core four (esp. Pettitte), and Clemens. When A-Rod joined in 04, I was 9, and immediately in love. This was before all the steroid stuff, and before I saw he was kind of a d0uche. Ever since '08, I haven't really had a true favorite I looked up to, although I loved having Tex and CC on the recent teams. After the steroid stuff with A-Rod, along with no longer being disillusioned by my youth, I stopped truly idolizing these athletes; until 2014. Jeter's retirement announcement put things in perspective, and I realized that for literally my entire life, he had been one of the few constants (outside of family, of course) that I could count on to be in the same place, doing the same thing, and doing it well. After that reflection, I started to and still do consider Jeter my favorite baseball player, a class act, and a worthy role model.

Outside of baseball, Caron, Selvie, Emeka, and BG were my favorite Huskies when I was really young. Don't have a memory of following pro sports with the vigor I do now (outside of baseball) when I was that age, so there aren't really any athletes from those other sports I could classify as role models or idols from that time.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Growing up in KC area: George Brett, Len Dawson
St. Louis: Ozzie Smith and the Cardinal team that battled the Mets with Gooden, Strawberry, Hernandez.
NBA: Kareem, Walton, Magic, Bird
Utah: Beginning of Malone/Stockton team
Golf: Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson
Connecticut (1989) til present: Jim Calhoun

Reaction Score
Larry Bird
LT
Roger Clemens

Didn't take me long to figure out that athletes weren't worth idolizing . . .

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Yankees dynasty teams were it for me and Bernie was always my guy.

I was a big Knick guy as a kid and loved Ewing too.

Definitely semantics but even as a kid I would never say I idolized or used these guys as role models as I was lucky enough to have great family members in my life, but sports heroes? Absolutely. These guys were all over my walls. Was only a few years ago that my mom took all the posters and newspaper clippings down and I hadn't lived there in about a decade.

Reaction Score
great thread!

Earliest "heroes" were Mattingly, Michael Jordan, Ron Francis, Chris Smith, and Tony Dorsett... Later I came to love Bernie Williams, Mo, Jeter, and Frank Thomas. I specifically chose Frank Thomas and Bernie's #'s for various baseball uniforms over the years. My brother got me a signed Smitty ball for Christmas one year that I still have.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Arnold Palmer
Bill Russell
Mickey Mantle

Reaction Score
Always interesting to see how old everyone is.

My number 1 is strange because I never played football but Jerry Rice was the guy for me.

Ray Allen was definitely the guy who I pretended to be when I played in the driveway. Jordan, Bernie Williams, Allan Houston, Griffey. I also loved to watch Steve Francis when he was young. I remember wearing his ugly as hell shoes in middle school.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Bob Gibson and Lou Brock
Wilt
Bobby Orr
Fran Tarkenton and Ron Johnson

Reaction Score
Dr. J made me love basketball.
Reggie made me love football.
John McEnroe and Martina made me love Tennis
Sugar Ray made me love Boxing.
Snake, Cliff Branch, and Plunkett made me love Football (LT too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom