Sporting News updated Top 25 | The Boneyard

Sporting News updated Top 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm assuming this is the one that will be in the TSN College Basketball magazine. UConn is 15th. So you don't have to go through their annoying slideshow, below is the ranking.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...kentucky-duke-wisconsin?iadid=NCAABFront_DL_1

1. Arizona
2. Kentucky
3. Wisconsin
4. Duke
5. UNC
6. Kansas
7. Louisville
8. Virginia
9. Florida
10. Wichita State
11. Villanova
12. Texas
13. Gonzaga
14. Iowa State
15. UConn
Notable games on the schedule: Nov. 20-23 at Puerto Rico Tip-Off; Nov. 30 vs. Texas; Dec. 18 vs. Duke (in East Rutherford, N.J.); Jan. 3 at Florida; Jan. 17 at Stanford; Jan. 29 at Cincinnati; Feb. 14 at SMU; March 1 vs. SMU.
What worries us now: Even if you don’t believe Shabazz Napier was a one-man team, some key men who supported him left, as well: DeAndre Daniels ahead of schedule, and Niels Giffey with the same two rings as Napier.
The Huskies will be heavily dependent on transfers and set up a front-loaded schedule because of their conference situation, which could make November and December rough.
Why we still believe: Kevin Ollie turned down just about every open NBA coaching job. He did not do this expecting to lose.
16. San Diego State
17. VCU
18. Michigan State
19. Oklahoma
20. Utah
21. Ohio State
22. Nebraska
23. Syracuse
24. Harvard (aka New England's best team)
25. SMU

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
At florida, at stanford, at cincy, at smu tough middle of the season for us sheesh. Also, I dont get the florida hype didnt they lose 5 of their top 7 guys?

Reaction Score
"The Huskies will be heavily dependent on transfers"
Wow I thought we only had one

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm assuming this is the one that will be in the TSN College Basketball magazine. UConn is 15th. So you don't have to go through their annoying slideshow, below is the ranking.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...kentucky-duke-wisconsin?iadid=NCAABFront_DL_1

1. Arizona
2. Kentucky
3. Wisconsin
4. Duke
5. UNC
6. Kansas
7. Louisville
8. Virginia
9. Florida
10. Wichita State
11. Villanova
12. Texas
13. Gonzaga
14. Iowa State
15. UConn
Notable games on the schedule: Nov. 20-23 at Puerto Rico Tip-Off; Nov. 30 vs. Texas; Dec. 18 vs. Duke (in East Rutherford, N.J.); Jan. 3 at Florida; Jan. 17 at Stanford; Jan. 29 at Cincinnati; Feb. 14 at SMU; March 1 vs. SMU.
What worries us now: Even if you don’t believe Shabazz Napier was a one-man team, some key men who supported him left, as well: DeAndre Daniels ahead of schedule, and Niels Giffey with the same two rings as Napier.
The Huskies will be heavily dependent on transfers and set up a front-loaded schedule because of their conference situation, which could make November and December rough.
Why we still believe: Kevin Ollie turned down just about every open NBA coaching job. He did not do this expecting to lose.
16. San Diego State
17. VCU
18. Michigan State
19. Oklahoma
20. Utah
21. Ohio State
22. Nebraska
23. Syracuse
24. Harvard (aka New England's best team)
25. SMU

Not only do they do the infuriating slideshow thing without even an accompanying list, but they have an autoplay video on the landing page. Total Sh!tshow.

Thanks for the summary and UCONN commentary.

Reaction Score
We are pretty much better than florida, We beat them thoroughly in the final four, they lose more than we lost, we gain more... Kasey Hill must transform into an entirely different player for them to be ranked ahead of us.

Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying that, after 2011 and 2014, I literally could not give less of a about preaseason rankings. They're so, sooo meaningless.

But I'll say this: If Kentucky or Duke or UNC or even Louisville or MSU was returning the same talent as UConn after winning an NC, they would be ranked much higher than the 15-18 range.

Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying that, after 2011 and 2014, I literally could not give less of a about preaseason rankings. They're so, sooo meaningless.

But I'll say this: If Kentucky or Duke or UNC or even Louisville or MSU was returning the same talent as UConn after winning an NC, they would be ranked much higher than the 15-18 range.
Agreed, we are going to be very good.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My fundamental problem with all these Top 25's is they are just reshuffled versions from the end of the season Top 25's. If there was ever going to be a year of upheaval and new teams rising, it would be this year given the enormous losses that most of the top programs experienced.

I keep focusing on Jabari Parker, but that guy was freaking awesome. He was one of the 5 most polished freshmen I can ever remember in college basketball. I don't care how good the new Duke recruiting class is, no one in that class is going to be nearly as good as Parker. So how is Duke better without him and Hood?

I felt Embid and Wiggins were more potential than production, but those were two top picks in the draft, and they are gone. I like Kansas' bench, but they aren't going to drop just a little? Arizona lost two great college players off a team that didn't even make the Final Four.

Reaction Score
WE were ranked #2 preseason in 1991 even after Nadav left.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
SMU does not belong in the pre - season top 25. Sorry.

Reaction Score
They have a hall of fame coach, brought everyone back from a really good team last year that should have been in the tournament, and they're adding one of the best transfers in the country in Justin Martin. Just because Mudiay isnt making his way to Dallas doesnt mean this team isnt top 25 worthy.

Reaction Score

They returned EVERYONE from a team that beat UConn twice and they were NIT finalists, not to mention the 5th year transfer that will help them quite a bit.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
They have a hall of fame coach, brought everyone back from a really good team last year that should have been in the tournament, and they're adding one of the best transfers in the country in Justin Martin. Just because Mudiay isnt making his way to Dallas doesnt mean this team isnt top 25 worthy.
Quote me now. They will be a disappointment this season.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The difference between this season for SMU and last? EXPECTATIONS....

Reaction Score
Quote me now. They will be a disappointment this season.

I would love to make a bet on that. They will have a better non-conference schedule. Justin Martin is a huge addition. Their freshman McDonalds all-american is now a sophomore - he wasn't a big impact player last year but is very skilled. Their talented 4 man (Yanick Moreira) was banged up all last year and looked very good in the FIFA tournament (according to reports, I didn't watch him). SMU is easily top 20 to start the year.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
They will have a good record because the AAC has so many sucky teams but won't win the conference or do anything in the tourney. I should clarify disappointing, not record but impact.

Reaction Score
Huh?
Last year that block head Jeff Goodman of ESPN called Harvard the best team in New England. Then UConn beat them and then won the national championship. But Goodman will probably still say they were the best team in New England. :rolleyes:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I was hoping UConn wouldn't be ranked. The more disrespect, the hungrier and tougher the Huskies get. These polls are meaningless. UConn is overrated in that poll. Now I'm ready for the season.

Reaction Score
I was hoping UConn wouldn't be ranked. The more disrespect, the hungrier and tougher the Huskies get. These polls are meaningless. UConn is overrated in that poll. Now I'm ready for the season.
Who that's ranked below UConn would you put ahead of them? I see a few teams ahead of them that should be below them...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That Tolbert kid from Texas tech also transferred to smu. He could be eligible right away. I like smu the kid nick Moore is a nice player.

Reaction Score
^^^^^^
SMU plays @Gonzaga, @Indiana & Arkansas in 3 of their first 5 games. Tolbert would help them even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom